“A great place - if you aren't a paying costumer” 2 of 5 stars

You added Adventure Hostels JFK to your Saves list
Adventure Hostels JFK
538 East 86th Street #3, Brooklyn, NY 11236   |
Copenhagen
“A great place - if you aren't a paying costumer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012 via mobile

As many other people comment, it has a bad location. Odd place to call a hostel. It is more like a private appartment stuffed with bunkbeds leaving no space free. You are told (a bit militaryish) to leave your shoes outside and to make your bed in the morning, not having any private items left ontop. This is alright - Just not for the amount of money we paid. We honestly felt forced to stay there, since we had booked for two nights and wasnt able to cancel, since we then would have to pay 140 dollars for nothing... We did find the place clean though.

• Stayed March 2012

Families
Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011 via mobile

The hostel was dirty. David was disrespectful. It was loud and crowded. Cash only and far from anything.

• Stayed December 2011
Isla Vista
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

The place was not easy to find. It is a bit hidden and the people around do not know where it is and have never heard of it. I would never go there at night, especially if you do not know where it is. I found the area pretty dodgy. It is not a hostel really. It is more a flat where they put you together with more people. You feel quite uncomfortable because it is pretty small. The beds are way too soft and the pillows way too cheap.

I have to say that during the two nights I was there, 2 people slept on the floor. Was that overbooking? I've never found it out! Besides, make sure you bring CASH because they do not accept credit cards. I wondered whether this "crib" is legal. So, after walking a LONG distance, I had to go and find an ATM with all my staff. Good luck if you decide to stay here, I will not next time!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This "establishment" (and I almost question whether this is zoned for daycare or actually legal.....) is really not my cup of tea...but I will try to describe it objectively. I will never go back.
It is an apartment in an apartment complex - rowhome type area on the last stop of the L train in Canarsie. I am not sure how safe the area is at night --- it is at least a 10 block walk from the train, which is NOT convenient and I would never take that walk at night alone....during the day it was fine, however. You get buzzed in (no keys) and are stopped and forced to remove your shoes at the door. I don't know about anyone else, but when I am paying to stay in a hostel in NYC, I don't exactly feel like necessarily taking off my shoes and leaving them in the halway of an apartment building...? (note - temples abroad, friends who have expensive carpet, I get it --- but a hostel in Canarsie?!!! please.)

Here is where my problem starts. I was "greeted" at the door by the woman in charge who told me and another gentleman who arrived at the same time to wait in the living room while her and the other employee went and attended to "computer business" in the closet - sized office. I wasn't even given a chance to ask for the restroom.

Told to wait in the livingroom --- which is the selling feature of this place -- is about 12'15" feet. There are three couches/loveseats. A massive Tv, a tiny desk/table and two chairs and a small breakfast buffet. All carpeted (raddy carpeting - disgusting.) I guess I was supposed to watch Tv for a while and wait....? I was VERY confused because I travel frequently and have never had this scenario happen to me -- particularly after they ALREADY ran my credit card 5 days earlier than the website advertised, btw. So no keys, 12 beds total in this place, ....um....whats the business?

After 20 minutes of introductions with other guests (this was 6:30-7pm or so) I was getting really annoyed because I was tired, exhausted, and wanted to use the facilities and lay down. Eventually the other guest went and knocked on the door of the office and they came out. They told me and the other man to follow them. There are TWO bedrooms approx the same size in the bad with 3-4 sets of bunkbeds in each. If two people stand in the aisle - you cannot even fit a dufflebag on the floor --- yes, that cramped. There is one toilet in the room and only ONE SHOWER FOR THE ENTIRE PLACE.
The bunk beds are the same type found at other NYC hostels --- however rickety and not kept well. mattresses are thin. Blankets like tissues.
So I went and asked for another blanket --- as the "balcony" to our room was open and the screens were not fitting closed. So help me lord --- the woman grabbed a balled-up blanket off the couch and handed it to me.
Now COME ON. Please, at least PRETEND to be somewhat hygienic. I am not stupid, I know blankets are not washed between usage all the time --- but this thing was GROSS. It seriously smelled like body odor to the point that I was going to gag. That was IT for me.

Then I saw the bathroom. I felt like I was in a college apartment - complete with a seashell toiletseat.

Again, I was exhausted -- otherwise I would have never stayed the one night there that I did stay. I took a sleeping pill (because I just couldn't handle this) and got up at 5am and fled the scene. Oh and on the way out - I noticed both employees asleep side by side on the floor in the livingroom, which I thought was kinda....weird....another guest was up at the same time, and he didn't know what to do, couldn't find a towel....

Oh and the kitchen --- no knobs on the stove. real classy.

So if you are a desperate backpacker who wouldn't rather hang in starbucks and/or penn station for the night, go for it. 39 dollars with tax and an hour L ride .....nope, not worth it for me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Adventure Hostels JFK? Share your experiences!