“Great menu and food - go try it!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London, UK
“Great menu and food - go try it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

If you like small plates and trying different combinations this is the place for you. We shared 6 plates between 2 and it was more than enough. The ribs with strawberry glaze was very good, and i loved the salt & pepper shrimp. We also received a complimentary watermelon gazpacho as amuse bouche and a watermelon bit after our dinner which was a perfect palate cleanser. Staff was friendly and efficient.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“All I can say is WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Interesting combinations like ribs and strawberries - divine! Yummy plates to share. Love the name - hysterical! The staff had us in stitches. One of the most memorable meals I've ever experienced. Thank you!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Malaga
“Unsubstantial and pretentious food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and I have been tonight at Traif. Our aim was to have dinner there. The reason, someone told us that this restaurant was a 9.5 over 10. Following the advice of the waitress, we ordered three plates: tuna tartar, pork belly and foie, but after tasting the first two we decided to cancel the last one and run away from the restaurant. Tuna tartar is a fake tartar, because the whole taste is hidden by sauces. In addition, since the chef seems to have an obssesion with textures, the fish is seved on a fried vegetable, so that the taste is hidden even further away. Moreover, the amount of tuna used is simply ridiculous. As regards pork belly, my wife and I have been wondering the whole evening why the chef decided to cover such a fatty meat with stir fry vegetables leaking oil. If you order this plate, you will have that greasy taste for hours in your mouth.

After these two terrible plates, we just canceled the third plate. What could have this chef done with foie?

One tip about this restaurante. How is it possible that such a tiny kitchen with just three cookers is able to serve so many people? Because they do not cook real, well-prepared food. They just combine ingredients in an unsubstantial and pretentious way.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Port Jefferson, New York
“A Wonderful Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

What a great find in Williamsburg. I made a reservation for a table in the "garden room" (which i highly recommend as the main dining room can be somewhat tight and loud) and were seated promptly at the requested time.
We started with Mojitos and were then going to order wine but the Mojitos were so good that we ordered more with our meal :-)
My girl and I had eight items off the wonderfully eclectic menu. I know that's a bit much but everything sounded so good! Standouts were the Figs and Burrata- fresh and flavorful. Chicken livers- rich and perfectly seasoned. Broccoli Rabe- OMG, what a combo of flavors! Outstanding! Head on Prawns- Vibrantly seasoned and cooked perfectly. Always a special treat when you get to suck out the brains. ( know it sounds crude but to me one of lifes little joys). Pork Belly- Soooo tender.
The only disappointment were the Soft Shell crabs. I found them to be overwhelmed by the heavy cornmeal crust. It took away from the sweet, briny taste that makes a soft shell crab such a wonderful thing.
We finished off with dessert. Key lime was excellent.
Service was also excellent. Paced perfectly.
Overall one of the best dining experiences I've had. Just hope Traif sticks with it's roots and doesn't try to be something it's not. It is a wonderful culinary experience in a casual, not up-tight atmosphere. Kudos to Traif.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Wonderful food...too loud and hot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

A wonderful meal! Two of us had 9 courses! That was a bit too much, but it was so hard to choose. Favorites were the rabbit confit (incredibly delicious!), the chicken livers, the peach salad, the figs with burrata, the cockles and the sweetbreads. The large grilled prawns were fine, but not a standout. I just don't like soft-shelled crabs, but my friend wanted to try them. i still don't like soft-shelled crabs. Dessert (the white chocolate budino) was good but not special...and it was supposed to have rhubarb puree in it, but I couldn't find it anywhere. we had an interesting cocktail and a nice wine as well. Service was polite and accomodating. I was painfully full.

The problems we encountered had to do with ambience and temperature. The music was so loud, that I could barely hear my friend speak. It's just too loud for a restaurant like this. And the air conditioner seemed to be broken, so it was uncomfortably warm.

I would love to come back...in the winter...and try more dishes here, because the food is, overall, truly special.

• Visited June 2013