“Completely Blown Away by Their GREAT Service” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
New York
“Completely Blown Away by Their GREAT Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

The food is delicious and the cocktails are inventive, but what blew me away was the staff at Traif. Before ordering our food I told the waitress I had an allergy to dairy, and not only did she make sure each plate was specially made for me, the food runner then made a point to place the plates down each time with the dairy-free portion towards me. I have had this allergy my whole life and this is the first time I have EVER experienced such amazing attention to detail.

I'm already planning my next dinner at Traif and can't wait to spread the word about this amazing restaurant!

(Make sure to order the mussels - YUM!)

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“One of the best meals I've had in the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

This was in the top 3 dining experiences I've had in New York City - the food was delightful / creative; the ambiance fun / hip; the service was fantastic! We went in a group of six - some out of towners and some New Yorkers - and Traif was just the right balance of adventurous food for everyone. We did the chef's selection menu which was super fun and not pricey at all! Menu must haves: lamb tongue, key lime pie, bacon donuts, tuna tare tare on eggplant. The menu changes seasonally so we'll definitely be going back for round two this summer!

• Visited April 2012
New York City, New York
“Small, innovative plates that are big on flavor and easy on your wallet.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Many restaurants these days are combining flavors in new and interesting ways, but many restaurants are getting it wrong. Sure, the separate ingredients may be good individually, but they sum is not always greater than the parts. Not true in the case of Traif. By using simple (yet in many cases exotic) ingredients prepared in thoughtful ways, Traif creates dishes that are innovative yet soulful.

This place can get pretty busy, especially on a weekend. That being said, I've never had to make a reservation--mainly because I don't mind killing time enjoying a beverage at the bar (or at a neighboring bar, and there are many in the neighborhood--try Dram or Post Office).

• Visited March 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent pork & cocktails in Williamsburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I was back in NYC for the weekend and staying w/ a friend in Williamsburg, and she said I had to go to Traif. Due to scheduling issues, I ventured out for a solo dinner on a Saturday night around 9:30pm. The place wasn't overly crowded, and I easily got a spot at the bar.

I saw the gentleman next to me eating some ribs, so I knew I was definitely getting those. And because this place is known for pork, I was getting another pork dish. As soon as I saw crispy pork belly, I immediately knew. (Just so you know, it's a tapas place, so I wasn't ordering two entrees for myself.)

The ribs were actually pretty plentiful. I'd say this was the lesser of the two dishes, though still good. The size of the portion was great. The pork belly was the clear winner. Part of me wishes I ordered three of the pork belly dishes instead, but I love variety.

While I ate dinner, I had one of their signature cocktails, called The Last Word. According to the barman, The Last Word is a classic cocktail from the days of yore. It was amazing. This alone would be worth a trip to Traif.

I did manage to fit in dessert. It was a warm pistachio cake w/ arugula ice cream & blackberries. Pretty interesting & good, but not the greatest.

I highly recommend a visit.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Gastronomic Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

This superb restaurant, nestled in Williamsburg, Brooklyn is definitely worth the trip. Enjoy the innovative selections, wonderful pairing of savory and sweet dishes. Small plates allow experimenting and sharing. The food is just delicious and the service is excellent. Try week nights rather than weekends - less crowded. Make a reservation and enjoy!

• Visited February 2012