“Good but inconsistent” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: African
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Good but inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This place is too inconsistent for a very good review. I've been here a few times. I always get the goat egusi and jollof rice. While the food is normally fine (good, not great), the last time I sent the goat was rather tough and the jollof was slightly burnt.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Great Food Atrocious Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The food was great but unfortunately the atrocious service overshadows that as it is unacceptable to have to ask for a dish 3 different times and not get it. I really wanted acara and by the time I left there was still no explanation as to why I still had not got it AND was being charged for it! If it was not available someone could have said so, The server was not in the slightest bit apologetic which I found quite shocking, They really need to get better staff or train the ones that exist on customer service. The girl that attended to us was uninterested and borderline rude. I went with a friend who visits Buka often and they had no qualms in overcharging her for a meal that she always gets and knows the price of.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Better than your mum's cooking!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I spent a year living in Manhattan in 2011 and read a review of Buka in the New York Times, which is why I sought it out. Though I am a British-born Nigeria, I can barely boil water, let alone cook Nigerian food and at home in London, I mainly relied on my mum to provide me with home-cooked Nigerian food, as well as a few select Nigerian restaurants. Buka then was an incredible Brooklyn find, in fact I dare say, their cooking was even better than my mum's!

The real standout for me is the goat's pepper soup - scorchingly hot and mouth-wateringly delicious. Also very good was the Snail in stew - but this isn't always on the menu so it's best to call ahead to check if they have it. The restaurant had a nice friendly neighbourhood ambience with African art decorating the space.

Since returning to London, I'm sad to say that few of my old haunts are a patch on Buka and I can't wait to go back.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Yummy!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

So much culture and flavor in one place. Wonderful!

Visited April 2012
Brooklyn, New York
“Great Signature Drinks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I just had a Brooklyn 'Sex In The City" moment. I was picking up dry cleaning when my cell rings. It's my dear freind Claudette, "What are you doing, come and have a drink with me I'm at Buka's!" "Where is it? What did you say?" She replies, "Buka's on Fulton and St James" Ten minutes later I am sitting in front of a large glass window full of sunshine at a beautiful bar, listening to Melodi by Hugh Masekela; sipping on the most refreshing ginger and mint cocktail ever. We laughed and talked I had one or two more. We left by 6:00 and I was at home in the heights fixing hubby his din din by 6:30......What more can I say than...Living life like it's golden!

946 Fulton St, Brooklyn 11238
(Btwn St James & Cambridge Pl)

• Visited October 2011