“Rooms are not bad but avoid first floor” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Needham, Massachusetts
“Rooms are not bad but avoid first floor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel has a very friendly staff and nice rooms which have good window insulation. So what's the problem? The doors allow all sorts of noise through, especially if you're on the first floor near the lobby. Despite a comfortable bed, I hardly slept as it felt like people were talking in my ear. I don't know if this problem is solvable. The door had big gaps on the bottom which I'm guessing is where most of the noise was coming from. Perhaps they can correct this and solve the problem, I don't know. Otherwise, it's not a bad property. The rooms have a huge flatscreen TV, coffeemaker, fridge and free wifi. The area isn't the best but the subway is 2 blocks away and the LIRR is across the hotel. The staff was super helpful. I was attending a game at the Barclay's center which is fairly close by (a few subway stops or a $10 cab ride) which made this hotel convenient. If I were to go back, I'd make sure to get a room on the upper levels away from the lobby.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor near lobby
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Arena Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about our BEST WESTERN PLUS - ARENA HOTEL. We work very hard to deliver excellent service that is both warm and relaxed every day, for every guest, every stay. Your feedback makes it all worth it. Our neighborhood as in all neighborhoods in New York City is changing. There are new developments and shops opening up on a daily basis. With the opening of the Barclay Center a short distance away we expect more developments and shops opening in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here with our two kids 9 and 4 after being relocated for job purposes. We were initially supposed to only stay one night but ended up staying longer. The staff was very courteous, said hello to my son even though he said like 6 times and didn't give me a problem with check in. The room was clean although a little crowded as there were two full sized beds but still comfortable enough. The price is a little high and they do not offer military discounts but its reasonable for short stays. The breakfast was actually breakfast with a variety of different things like pancakes, croissants, cereal and other things. Very good by the way and its free or maybe coveted in the nightly rate either way very worth it. If I'm ever in the area again I will definitely stay here again. A big thank you to the staff at this location.

• Stayed March 2013
General M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Arena Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I found the room that we stayed in to be clean and comfortable. The noise level was a bit high- could hear the neighbor opening and closing their door repeatedly. I was also in the basement level (not the best). Additionally, there was supposed to be free parking. I would suspect that there were about 50 rooms in this hotel and 9 parking spaces. Their alternative was a parking lot for $15/overnight. Fortunately, we found on street parking on Pacific Ave. I would not have felt comfortable leaving my car on Atlantic.
The staff was courteous and friendly. The rates were not too bad and I would consider staying again.

Room Tip: check the parking. i would recommend asking for a room above basement level
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
General M, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Arena Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

came here to celebrate my valentines day weekend never again, the staff said they smelled marijuana from the room, that was actually coming from the vent. i invited them in to see that it was not from my room but that did not help them reach their mission of finding who it was. they knocked on my door atleast 3 different times as you would see on the cameras. the last time was because the female employee heard my girlfriend laugh out and took it as if she was yelling they told me open the door which i did, the employee looked in and saw that she was fine, The employee once again told us that she smelled marijuana covered up with perfume which she was yelling at me telling me the police is right there in the next room. It seem as if i paid my money to be insulted and yelled at. I was not satisfied at all. I have never been this humiliated in my life

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Arena Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Sir,

We are sorry that your stay was not what you've hope for. But the fact is that the smell of marijauna was coming from your room with a heavy dose of perfume. In past experience the perfume was used to cover up cigarette and marijuana smoking. Also fact is around 2am, your girlfriend was sceaming so loud that three people at the Front Desk heard her screaming a few times " Stop, Stop, Get off me, Your Hurting me". Given these circumstances we had to knock on your door and investigate.
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This hotel has nice clean rooms, comfortable beds, and an above average breakfast. However, the room we had was facing the street and subway. Subway noise was loud and noisy...hard to sleep after 6 A.M. and before 1 A.M. The breakfast had all the usual items plus Greek Yogurt and hard boiled eggs....much better than I expected ! As far as the area goes, it's Brooklyn for sure .....

Room Tip: Stay in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Arena Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We were three and stayed two nights in the same bedroom.

Double bed rooms are small and so are the beds as well. Isolation is not amazing but we still had good night sleeps. We enjoyed the TV and free wifi.

Breakfast is totally ok to start your day and staff was friendly.

• Stayed November 2012
General M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Arena Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

So I was moving from Brooklyn to Manhattan, and I enlisted my parents to assist me. They booked the Best Western as it was close to my apartment. A day before they were set to arrive, my mom was seriously injured. I called Best Western to try and cancel/even just get hotel credit. The hotel staff did not care. Even I explained the seriousness of the accident (it involved her being medevacted), they said they did not think that was a good cancellation reason. Words cannot express how horrible these people are.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Katherine

We are sorry for you mother's injury and hopes she is recovering well. Our cancellation policy is 48 hours prior to arrival, the fact is, we offered twice to move the date of arrival to a future date, once by Shadena at the Front Desk and through Best Western Customer Care. Both times it was refused. Best Western is offering you a travel card in the amount of the room rate pending they received documentations from your parents.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Arena Hotel? Share your experiences!