“Great place to stay when visiting New York” 4 of 5 stars

Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #13 of 50 hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersGold level
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay when visiting New York”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

As well as making the hotel affordable, staying in Brooklyn gave us a great feel for New York as lived by 'ordinary' people. At first sight the area looks run down but a little exploration led us to streets with fantastic buildings and good local eateries and shops. Everyone we met was friendly, welcoming and helpful. The room in the hotel was clean and comfortable. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was fine and the staff in the dining room ensured constant fresh supplies. The metro was 5 minutes walk away so it was easy to get into the heart of Manhattan. It was easy to get to and from the interstates and we were early enough to secure a parking space so bringing a car to New York was made easy for us. A hotel to be recommended

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Arena Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank You! We couldn't have said it better! Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and instantly get to know our entire hotel, staff and accommodations like their own home. Thank you so much for your positive feedback about our BEST WESTERN PLUS - ARENA HOTEL. We work very hard to deliver excellent service that is both warm and relaxed every day, for every guest, every stay. Your feedback makes it all worth it.

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
McAllen, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Clean, comfortable room with the usual amenities. Pleasant but not outstanding breakfast included. No vending machines. "Limited free on-site parking" means first-come first-served. Paid parking garage one block away. About the location: this is not Cliff Huxtable's Brooklyn, with lovely tree-lined streets and venerable brownstones. The Long Island Railroad runs along Atlantic Avenue, so the hotel is literally overshadowed by the tracks. No retail here. Many will think this is a rough neighborhood, especially at night, but I made the two-block trek to and from the subway station (A & C) many times and at all hours with no problems. LIRR is literally outside the hotel's front door.

• Stayed September 2012
General M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Arena Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about our BEST WESTERN PLUS - ARENA HOTEL. We work very hard to deliver excellent service that is both warm and relaxed every day, for every guest, every stay. Your feedback makes it all worth it. -
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We just returned from this hotel...thoroughly enjoyed our experience. Disagree with othe reviewers who described area as 'slums' & 'ghetto' and scary. It's Brooklyn...enough said! Felt completely safe. Close eateries are mostly local places although a few national fast food restaurants were within walking distance. Manhattan is less than 5 mins. away and there are so many museums, parks, shops, etc. within a few mins. Staff was extremely accommodating to me and my family. Went out of there way to provide us a large room and brought in an air mattress for my toddler. Only drawback was that the free breakfast was sorely lacking but with what we saved by staying here we were glad to walk down to Dunkin' Donuts for some real coffee =) My husband is from Brooklyn and in 12 yrs of being married this is the first time I've found clean, decent lodging for this price. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: get a room above the 1st floor. walls were sort of thin and could here desk staff talking during the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Arena Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
We couldn't have said it better! Our repeat guest's frequent enough that they intimately know our entire hotel, staff and accommodations like their own home. We strive to provide accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest. Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

I wanted to stay somewhere that wouldn't break my budget and this seemed to be of good value. I arrived after 1am and the woman on front desk was very friendly, checked me in fairly quickly and pointed me in the direction of my room. I'm not sure if it was because my whole trip was on a budget as some previous hotels had been shocking, but when I walked into the room I was very pleasantly surprised. It was a decent size, king size bed, iPod dock, flag screen tv, coffee machine and all of the hotel amenities you would expect. The next day I asked the man on front desk for directions to the subway and also received two maps and detailed directions of which train to get and where to get off! The front desk staff were very helpful with everything that I needed and the housekeeping team kept my room very clean. I'm a women in my early 20's and stayed here by myself and was frequently coming back to the hotel late at night and I never had ANY trouble with people in the neighbourhood. Admittedly when you first turn up it does look a little dodgy, but you soon realise that it is just aesthetics. It is a 5 minute walk to the subway and about 20 minutes on the A train to Columbus Circle. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012
, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Arena Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
We couldn't have said it better! Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and instantly get to know our entire hotel, staff and accommodations like their own home. We strive to provide accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest. Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

It's almost a 4 Star Hotel, for a good price if you compare it to other hotels in New York. It was comfortable and clean. I really appreciated the attention that the hotel has towards its guests providing them with comfort items, like a big screen TV, a coffee maker with decaf & normal coffee, microwave, lots of cups, 2 small bottles of water, a good hair dryer, facial soap, slippers, robes & more. The bed was really big, comfy and had 4 pillows. The bathroom was essential, but clean, which always is my biggest concern. It had enough space to put plenty of things near the sink.

Negative: Only a few things. Not recommended to alone traveling girls (it's a safe area if you mind your own business, but I would risk it). They should change the sheets more often, but otherwise the cleaning staff is excellent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about the Best Western Plus - Arena Hotel. While we strive to exceed your expectations, we may fall short on occasion being a new hotel.
I have passed your comments on to the General Manager and Corporate Office. All feedback is necessary for us to continue to improve.
Giaveno, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

(holidays, 2-5 jan 2011)
We (my almost-wife and me) BEST WESTERN Plus Arena is Very clean and seems recently refurbished.

The area around Nostrand Avenue is not so nice... and in the evening is really dark... but despite the impression it was quite safe and there are a lot of places to shop or eat within walking distance, including a good sushi takeaway. We had no issues at all in our 4 days stay.
There ii a urban train station above the hotel... but we don't need it... so I just know that can be good to reach JFK airport.
The subway line is two blocks away and by daylight the walk is not bed as you can see many shops, a church, some very nice buildings: two trains arrive here A, C but only one is express to Manhattan... the other takes a very long time to return to NY center.

All receptionists (a man, a girl, on different days) were very caring and helpuf and try to help you in any way they.

We booked a superior room and it was large, confortable, with a microwave owen and other cooking facilities. Room quality was higher than the Hilton Manatthan Garden Inn we were on 30 dec-1jan nights)... and it was 3 blocks from TimesSquare... and price is like 1/10.

Bathroom was very clean, with a big bathtube and a good shower.

One nice extra was the possibility, on breakfast, to make yourself your waffle! (and I made a small movie with my almost-wife making her first waffle in life)
Breakfast was more than decent for a 3 stars hotel and quality of food was higher than average.

So it can be a very nice place to stay if you don't bother about the area and being on shady streets at night... and if you are not a alone person.

They offered us late (+2hrs) checkout for free.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are quite good and big. The only drawback is that one of them is immediately near the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about our Best Western Plus - Arena Hotel. We work very hard to deliver excellent service that is both warm and relaxed every day, for every guest, every stay. Your feedback makes it all worth it.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012 via mobile

Very clean and seems like a newer place. Not in the best area. Lots of places to shop or eat within walking distance but it is a slightly shady area. We only had one issue at te subway stop because we didn't give a well dressed man our subway card that he wanted, he threatened o rob us if we saw him again. Idle threat I think. The subway line isn't far, maybe one or two short blocks away. Make sure you find out the right trains to and from manhattan or you will be walking forever. Most folks are nice to give directions but some give wrong info because they hate tourists. Anyway this hotel has limited parking and there is a shady parking garage like a block away but at least it's only 9 bucks per day. I wish it was in a better neighborhood but if you don't miNd then it's a great place in Brooklyn

Stayed April 2012

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Arena Hotel? Share your experiences!