“Wonderful value & great location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #15 of 50 hotels in Brooklyn
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful value & great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 7 nights in Feb 2012. This hotel was wonderful value and only a 2-3 min walk to Union St Metro (10-15 min train journey to Manhattan).

Some reviews suggest this is a 'down-at-heel' neighbourhood. It really isn't. Myself and my girlfriend felt completely safe wandering the streets in the early hours of the morning (and this is from someone who once soiled himself when a car backfired in Bognor Regis). Brooklyn is so gentrified, I dread to think what some reviewers make of certain parts of London, Paris or Rome.

Within 10 mins walk were some of our favourite places we ate and drank during the whole week's trip (Van Horn, Black Mountain, Brooklyn Social, Clover Club, Shelsky's Smoked Fish, Buttermilk Channel). There is a higher concentration of quality bars and restaurants in Brooklyn than those of you who choose to stay near Times Square.

Plus, if you want to hop
on the Metro and nip into Manhattan to laugh at all the fools who have paid to stay near the ubiquitous McDonalds & Burger King's of Times Square, then it is just a short ride away.

The rooms in the hotel are slightly small but perfectly fine. We stayed there for 7 nights and had no issues with anything. On the final night a particularly amorous couple in the room next door did awaken us with an envious love chorus but we assumed that it was just caused by their happiness in finding such a competively priced, clean hotel in one of New York's most interesting, safe, affluent and exciting areas.

We stayed in Feb when the city was freezing. The room was warm and a perfect temperature. The staff were friendly and helpful.

We would stay in this hotel again and would definitely advise staying in Brooklyn rather than Manhattan (don't get me wrong there are fantastic bars and places to eat in Manhattan and Williamsburg but most tourists appear to gravitate to hotels near Times Square thinking that this is where all the 'action' is. The only action is mass consumerism and 'I love NY' t-shirts).

So, stay in Brooklyn, or Williamsburg (although Williamsburg is part of Brooklyn).

Oh how I wish I was in NYC now. Hanging around with a glass of Riesling, sheltering from the icy February air. I'd be wearing a thick beige smock with a face contorted with a mixture of fulfillment and envy at the amorous couple in Room 112B.

ps. The flatscreen TV dealt with the demands of the 24 hour news coverage of the sad passing away of Whitney Houston particularly well. I will always remember where I was when Whitney died (Super 8 - Brooklyn)  in the same way as when JFK was shot (grassy knoll) or I first saw Mitt Romney make a highly embarrassing public gaff (sat watching BBC News 24 in my pants, affixing my recently downloaded face of Tony Blair to my dartboard).

• Stayed February 2012

490 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

What a great location for quick access to Brooklyn Heights , Park Slope and downtown NYC.
Clean hotel and felt very safe . Excellent restaurants and bars nearby .
Friendly and courteous staff .
Will return in a few weeks !!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

It has taken me 2 months to write this review. I am still not sure how to review it. Basically, I stayed here for 4 days in July. I was a bit apprehensive of what I would get. I checked in with a rep. that needs a bit more warmth in her customer service. I had a room on the 4th floor right in front of the ice machine. The room was quite nice and clean. I ended up extending my 2 day stay to 4. My mistake was checking out then checking back in the same day. I was given a room on the 1st floor. Yikes, cramped and small. quite unpleasant, hence my 3 1/2 rating. Customer service became even worst with another young woman. who started a fight with my giving another customer transit directions in an area I lived in for 20+ years. Happy to lieave after getting into my second room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is a great hotel to stay in. It was very clean and modern. My room had granite in the bathrooms, good in-ceiling lighting, big mirrors for getting ready, and a flat screen tv on the wall in front of the bed. There was also a mini-fridge and we were on the top floor so it was quieter. It is centrally located and next to 5th ave which has all kinds of nice restaurants and shopping. The area had a safer feel to it than many other parts of New York. I will definitely stay here if I return to New York.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top floor, facing the front of the hotel. Our room was very quiet. Also ou...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was a little concerned about staying here but read so many good reviews on this site I made my reservations. I stayed 4 nights and couldn't have been more pleased. The hotel is clean, the room was clean and quiet. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The only downside is that the neighborhood is not the greatest. The Union street subway is close, but I took a cab at night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Bow, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

It's not easy to find a nice place in NYC for under $200 a night but this place was $150 a night including tax. It is in an OK location but is close to nice restaurants and not far from Prospect Park in Brooklyn. It is only 2 blocks from the subway stop to go to Manhattan. It is very clean. The service was very good. The room was a little small but the shower was great. Breakfast is typical cheap hotel breakfast but coffee and toast is enough to start the day. The best part of all was FREE PARKING! Great value!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I spend several nights at this hotel while visiting our daughter in Brooklyn. I was a little nervous about the location but decided to give it try because of its' great reviews, reasonable price, free parking, complimentary breakfast and proximity to the subway. As many other reviews have stated, the hotel was very clean and the staff very helpful. We had no complaints about the room. We spent long days in Manhattan and used the subway every day. The Union St. station is around the corner and 1 long block away... very convenient. I would recommend walking on Union St. at night instead of President St. as it is a little more travelled due to the Holiday Inn Express located there. The block is a little dark but we had no problems. Be sure to get the local R train on the way home. My subway app told me that the N train would stop at Union St at night but it did not....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Super 8 Brooklyn? Share your experiences!