“Nice size rooms and value for NYC” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #21 of 51 hotels in Brooklyn
Denver, Colorado
“Nice size rooms and value for NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed here for three nights when we were in town for a wedding. The Christmas season in NYC drives hotel prices up ridiculously so we decided to stay just over the bridge in Brooklyn for less. The hotel is clean and the rooms are a good size for New York. A note to people who have not been to NYC before- hotel rooms there can be so small that you literally have nowhere to out your suitcase. The rooms at Brooklyn Sheraton are not as big as other Sheratons but much better than what you might find elsewhere in the city.
The area around the hotel is not the best but not unsafe, in my opinion. Just about every subway that goes into manhattan is in a two block radius and it's a quick ride in to everything. It's also a short safe walk to Brooklyn Heights which has great restaurants and is a lovely neighborhood to walk through. The Brooklyn Bridge is right there too and you can easily walk to and over it to the Manhattan side which is a must do for any tourist.
Overall, we would stay here again. NYC hotels can be cost prohibitive and this is close enough to be worth the stay right outside Manhattan.

• Stayed December 2012
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Well said. You are welcome to join my sales team any day of the week. Thank you for staying with us and being Starwood loyal. We look forward to being your host in the near future.

631 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Polish first
Provo, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed in the Brooklyn Sheraton for two nights in early December. The king size room was very small but spotlessly clean and very quiet. We did not have the opportunity to use the restaurant. There was no cab service in front of the hotel but town cars were readily available - for a price. A trip to JFK costs $55.00. About average for New York I suppose. The staff were very helpful and free internet service is available in the lobby. The subway is three blocks away with connections to Manhattan. I would be somewhat concerned about the neighborhood at night since many of the buildings are vacant. We had no problems during the daytime however. We would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Thanks for your review and mentioning what a great value the Sheraton Brooklyn is. Regarding the subway, I always use the 2 or the 3 which is at the end of our block to get into the City but there are 8 other lines within three short blocks of the hotel

Thanks for your review and for staying with us. We look forward to being your host in the near future

Elizabeth City, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The hotel seems to be recently renovated so I found my room to be quite comfortable. I had no issues with cleanliness at all. The rooms were small, there was no stand for a suitcase and we didn't have enough room to have 2 suitcases open at the same time. The bathroom did not have a tub and the shower area was set up that you got wet turning on the shower. They only provided 2 bath towels. The big issue for me was the neighborhood. The hotel is located on a side street and most of the buildings around it are empty. Some have been gutted. Walking around there was very little foot traffic so at night it just did not feel safe. I am not usually a person to be uncomfortable like that but everything was so deserted. There is very little to choose from restaurant wise in walking distance. There are a few fast food places but that's it. I did not see a single cab while I was staying there no in front of the hotel and not on the streets. Trains took 40 minutes to get to Times Square and getting home at night especially after 10 on a weekend was troublesome. I found the hotel staff to be lacking in their knowledge of the area. There is no concierge and the front desk twice gave me bad information about the trains. I asked for the hotel zip code and they gave that to me wrong. The staff was quite friendly I just wished they knew the area better. The front desk is right next to the front door so in the winter you get a blast of freezing air every time someone walking in or out and I found to be unpleasant. The block on my credit card was more than most hotels, it was 150.00 plus 30% of the total cost of my stay. There was free internet in the lobby and there were several computers in their "business center" the one that I used had the letters worn off on the keyboard. If you did not know how to type you would have a difficult time using that one. The lobby is the smallest I have ever seen in hotel. I ate at the restaurant which I am going to cover in a different review. Although this hotel was clean I would not go back due to the time spent on trains and how bad the neighborhood was.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for noting the room cleanliness and staff friendliness at the Sheraton. Clearly two attributes that drive our guest satisfaction As for the neighborhood, it is exciting to watch the dramatic changes that are taking place each and every day The opening of the Barclay Center has given the area a tremendous economic boost.

We look forward to being your host in the near future

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for four nights and while the hotel and staff were lovely, there were a few difficulties

1. Location: Easy to get a cab to Manhattan, not so easy to get one to Brooklyn. Obviously not the fault of the hotel, but can make things a bit tricky (also worth noting that it is near the subway - I wasn't too good at navigating through the subway, but if you are, this makes location a non-issue)

2. Elevators: For most people, this will not be a problem, however I was a Contiki trip. There were 50 of us staying in the hotel and split over multiple floors - I guess this is more due to Contiki's organising, or the hotel wanting to make sure we weren't too roudy.. Which is perfectly reasonable! However, the issue was that my hotel keycard would only let me into my level. So if I wanted to get ready in someone elses room, we would both have to go down to the lobby, then back up. Again, mostly not a problem for most and a security measure, but still worth noting.

3. Wi-Fi: No free wifi in the rooms. It was available at a charge, which I think I ended up purchasing. Some rooms had free access to the wifi from the hotel next door. IF you're just using it to check emails, pop down to the lobby and it's free. However by then I had been away from Australia for 2 weeks and wanted to Skype back home. Didn't want to bother everyone in the lobby by doing this.

Rooms were stunning and always cleaned.
Only made it to breakfast on my last day, but it made me wish I'd gone more often!

Room Tip: Make sure you're on the same floor as those you are travelling with
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
"Rooms were stunning and always clean"...How very nice to hear. I would not expect anything less from our Housekeeping Team. Thanks also for your great comments regarding breakfast in our restaurant. Our Chef and Restaurant Manager love to hear these comments and is teh reason many guests keep returning time and time again.

We look forward to being your host again in the near future.

Coolum Beach, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Brooklyn's Sheraton is a no-nonsense, no frills hotel, although the staff are friendly and laid back. Where it really kicks a goal though is its location. Immerse yourself in the funky street life or wander over to the "too cool for school" Brooklyn Heights for magnificent views of Manhattan; did I mention the bridge?
We loved Brooklyn and the Sheraton was a fine HQ.

Room Tip: Be persistent and get a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
You are so right...I just walked the Bridge yesterday for maybe the 50th time and the views are as breathtaking today as they were the first time I saw them. Thanks for mentioning our great staff as well.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

As I sit at the bar watching football with a very pleasant crowd, I am thrilled I chose this hotel for a Brooklyn work stay over.

The staff is attentive and polite... And the location is perfect.

The rooms are typically smaller as 90% of NYC, but clean and updated.

This will be my Brooklyn staple for sure.

• Stayed November 2012
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
What a wonderful review for a GM to wake up to. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton. Aside from having a gorgeous hotel, the staff usually helps push a hotels positive ratings over the top

Thank you for staying with us and for being Starwood loyal

Marie J. Kupfer
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My elderly mother and her husband stayed there over the Thanksgiving holiday. The room with king bed is impossibly small for two, and the bathroom is merely okay. The first room they were given did not have working heat, so they were moved the first night to another. During their four night stay the elevators broke, which required calling the Fire Department. A very negative aspect of their stay was a dreadful $15 buffet breakfast with limited choices and overcooked eggs. Overall, the experience was a budget hotel charging upscale rates.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for your note. I do believe I met your mom and her husband this past weekend and am sorry they did not enjoy our breakfast. I'll be sure to speak with our Executive Chef and Restaurant Managers regarding this matter.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you or your family return to Brooklyn. I look onward to being your host in the near future.

Marie Kupfer

Been to Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel? Share your experiences!