“The neighborhood was not great but the hotel was quite clean” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #21 of 51 hotels in Brooklyn
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
“The neighborhood was not great but the hotel was quite clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The hotel seems to be recently renovated so I found my room to be quite comfortable. I had no issues with cleanliness at all. The rooms were small, there was no stand for a suitcase and we didn't have enough room to have 2 suitcases open at the same time. The bathroom did not have a tub and the shower area was set up that you got wet turning on the shower. They only provided 2 bath towels. The big issue for me was the neighborhood. The hotel is located on a side street and most of the buildings around it are empty. Some have been gutted. Walking around there was very little foot traffic so at night it just did not feel safe. I am not usually a person to be uncomfortable like that but everything was so deserted. There is very little to choose from restaurant wise in walking distance. There are a few fast food places but that's it. I did not see a single cab while I was staying there no in front of the hotel and not on the streets. Trains took 40 minutes to get to Times Square and getting home at night especially after 10 on a weekend was troublesome. I found the hotel staff to be lacking in their knowledge of the area. There is no concierge and the front desk twice gave me bad information about the trains. I asked for the hotel zip code and they gave that to me wrong. The staff was quite friendly I just wished they knew the area better. The front desk is right next to the front door so in the winter you get a blast of freezing air every time someone walking in or out and I found to be unpleasant. The block on my credit card was more than most hotels, it was 150.00 plus 30% of the total cost of my stay. There was free internet in the lobby and there were several computers in their "business center" the one that I used had the letters worn off on the keyboard. If you did not know how to type you would have a difficult time using that one. The lobby is the smallest I have ever seen in hotel. I ate at the restaurant which I am going to cover in a different review. Although this hotel was clean I would not go back due to the time spent on trains and how bad the neighborhood was.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Thank you for noting the room cleanliness and staff friendliness at the Sheraton. Clearly two attributes that drive our guest satisfaction As for the neighborhood, it is exciting to watch the dramatic changes that are taking place each and every day The opening of the Barclay Center has given the area a tremendous economic boost.

We look forward to being your host in the near future

626 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for four nights and while the hotel and staff were lovely, there were a few difficulties

1. Location: Easy to get a cab to Manhattan, not so easy to get one to Brooklyn. Obviously not the fault of the hotel, but can make things a bit tricky (also worth noting that it is near the subway - I wasn't too good at navigating through the subway, but if you are, this makes location a non-issue)

2. Elevators: For most people, this will not be a problem, however I was a Contiki trip. There were 50 of us staying in the hotel and split over multiple floors - I guess this is more due to Contiki's organising, or the hotel wanting to make sure we weren't too roudy.. Which is perfectly reasonable! However, the issue was that my hotel keycard would only let me into my level. So if I wanted to get ready in someone elses room, we would both have to go down to the lobby, then back up. Again, mostly not a problem for most and a security measure, but still worth noting.

3. Wi-Fi: No free wifi in the rooms. It was available at a charge, which I think I ended up purchasing. Some rooms had free access to the wifi from the hotel next door. IF you're just using it to check emails, pop down to the lobby and it's free. However by then I had been away from Australia for 2 weeks and wanted to Skype back home. Didn't want to bother everyone in the lobby by doing this.

Rooms were stunning and always cleaned.
Only made it to breakfast on my last day, but it made me wish I'd gone more often!

Room Tip: Make sure you're on the same floor as those you are travelling with
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
"Rooms were stunning and always clean"...How very nice to hear. I would not expect anything less from our Housekeeping Team. Thanks also for your great comments regarding breakfast in our restaurant. Our Chef and Restaurant Manager love to hear these comments and is teh reason many guests keep returning time and time again.

We look forward to being your host again in the near future.

Coolum Beach, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Brooklyn's Sheraton is a no-nonsense, no frills hotel, although the staff are friendly and laid back. Where it really kicks a goal though is its location. Immerse yourself in the funky street life or wander over to the "too cool for school" Brooklyn Heights for magnificent views of Manhattan; did I mention the bridge?
We loved Brooklyn and the Sheraton was a fine HQ.

Room Tip: Be persistent and get a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
You are so right...I just walked the Bridge yesterday for maybe the 50th time and the views are as breathtaking today as they were the first time I saw them. Thanks for mentioning our great staff as well.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

As I sit at the bar watching football with a very pleasant crowd, I am thrilled I chose this hotel for a Brooklyn work stay over.

The staff is attentive and polite... And the location is perfect.

The rooms are typically smaller as 90% of NYC, but clean and updated.

This will be my Brooklyn staple for sure.

• Stayed November 2012
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
What a wonderful review for a GM to wake up to. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton. Aside from having a gorgeous hotel, the staff usually helps push a hotels positive ratings over the top

Thank you for staying with us and for being Starwood loyal

Marie J. Kupfer
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My elderly mother and her husband stayed there over the Thanksgiving holiday. The room with king bed is impossibly small for two, and the bathroom is merely okay. The first room they were given did not have working heat, so they were moved the first night to another. During their four night stay the elevators broke, which required calling the Fire Department. A very negative aspect of their stay was a dreadful $15 buffet breakfast with limited choices and overcooked eggs. Overall, the experience was a budget hotel charging upscale rates.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for your note. I do believe I met your mom and her husband this past weekend and am sorry they did not enjoy our breakfast. I'll be sure to speak with our Executive Chef and Restaurant Managers regarding this matter.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you or your family return to Brooklyn. I look onward to being your host in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just got back from a 4 night stay. I shared a room with a friend.
The 2 large doubles were fabulously appointed in terms of bed linen, comfortors, pillows etc.
I can honestly say that I have never started a review mention the above!!
In short very super comfy, good size and awesome nights sleep each night.

The room was a reasonable size, very modernly appointed - large flat screen telly and a clean modern bit trendy bathroom - although the grout in parts needed some attention.

The bar downstairs was ok - bit hit and miss depending on who served you. Some of the bar tenders were great - others clearly didnt want to be at work - mainly the female bar tenders - bit too much attitude.

This was not a bar to spend an evening in - more one for a night cap. Also they close it very early - 11-11.30 on some nights.

Location - at all times felt safe, the neighbour hood is a little down market - but totally fine.

For comfort and location if you mind not being on the island - i would recommend on location and for comfort and value.

Also service on the front desk - again depends on who you get 90% of the time - they couldnt do enough.

Taxis - be aware if you ask them to get you a cab - the cabs give you some mi. 18usdoller fee nonsense regardless of how close you are travelling .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Not only the best bed and bedding in town but the best in the industry Sheratons sweet sleeper mattress and our sister brand Westins heavenly bed are world renowned I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have passed along your comments to our food and beverage staff so we may use this as a learning tool at our weekly staff meeting

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were in New York for a conference at Brooklyn Tabernacle this past weekend. We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. We travel a lot, and our expectations can be high. This hotel more than met our expectations. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Because of Sandy; Fema was stationed in the hotel. It was very busy, but there was always plenty of staff to help us. They gave us a wonderful room with a great view. We could see the Statute of Liberty! The room was quiet, we heard nothing from the other guests or outside traffic, The coffee in the room was Star Bucks! The bed was very comfortable. When we asked for a fridge to keep medical supplies in, they gave us one at no extra cost. We checked out Wednesday morning, and they held our luggage for us so we could enjoy the city for the day. We will definitely stay here again. It was a centrally located close to every where we wanted to go. We walked from our hotel, across Brooklyn Bridge to the 911 memorial and back. What a great day! Tiring but fun! Great, great place to stay!! We highly recommend this place

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Walking or biking the Brooklyn Bridge always makes for a great day. The views are breathtaking
I'm so glad the Sheraton was part of your trip.

Be sure to come and visit again soon. We look forward to being your host

Marie Kupfer

Been to Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel? Share your experiences!