“Nice stay in Brooklyn” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 50 hotels in Brooklyn
Henderson, Nevada
“Nice stay in Brooklyn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Had a work trip to Brooklyn and the Sheraton was one of the few moderately priced hotels available. I had originally booked two rooms for one night - one for me, one for a co-worker. As it turned out, the co-worker did not need the room. I knew it was too late to cancel the room, so I asked if I could move that reservation to the next night. They had no problem with moving it, so I didn't lose the money.

The rooms are decent sized (giant compared to most Manhattan rooms). A large flat screen TV and very cushy bed (still a bit soft, though).

Nearby is Fulton Street Mall - basically just a city street with shops on either side. It's full of the typical New York shops - gray market electronics and such - but there are some big box stores as well - Macy's had a store there. The subway stop is nearby. The stop at Barclays Center is about 6 or 7 blocks away and has five or six lines stopping there. Also by Barclays is an indoor mall with Target, Best Buy, etc. The Brooklyn Bridge is relatively close - you can walk there no problem.

Interestingly, I could have gotten a cheaper room in Manhattan. But since my work was in Brooklyn at the Barclays Center, it didn't really make sense to stay further away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Great to hear you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton. Clearly our proximity to the Barclay Center and of course SPG points are two great reasons to stay at the property

We look forward to being your host in the not too distant future

Safe travels

640 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Polish first
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel itself was quite nice, but that's the most I can give as far as a good review. I felt the website was very deceptive. The staff was courteous at best, restaurant staff seemed to be trained to ignore you until absolutely required. The food was below average. The continental breakfast in the club lounge was subpar, with the exception of the staff. They were the only highlight of the stay. Very nice, and went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of.
I felt safe in the area during the day, but only because I was with my husband and would never stay there without a male. Our cabdriver knew absolutely everywhere in Brooklyn but had never heard of the hotel and was not crazy about the area in general. We stayed there because our normal hotel in Manhattan (comparable in price) was booked, but next time I will hold out until they are available. I will not stay here again, nor will I recommend it. Not bad, simply not worth the $$.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Great to hear you enjoyed the property. We are excited to be the newest full service hotel in Brooklyn but sorry to hear your favorite hotel is in Manhattan

We will continue striving to satisfy the needs of all our guests and look forward to being your host in the near future. The Sheraton is a great option if you are attending a function at the new Barclay Center or going to the Brooklyn Terrace, our roof top lounge

Marie J Kupfer
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here because I wanted to be near Brooklyn Heights and found a great AAA rate that included club access and Wi-Fi. I asked for a quiet room, and was given exactly that--at the far end of the hall. The room was smallish but comortable and functional--the wi-fi was fast and the Starbucks coffee in the room beats the swill often found at the in-room coffeemaker.

The club lounge was large and coffee was always available. The breakfast bar was good, but not spectacular. The health club was exceptional--new equipment and complete set of weights. The valet parking was a bargain at $35 if you paid cash, and the hotel's proximity to Brooklyn Heights in one direction, and Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Ft. Greene, etc in the other was excellent. This would be a great place to come for an event at the new Barclays Center, or any other reason to stay in Brooklyn. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: My room was at the end of the hall, facing west, and was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for extolling all the wonderful attributes of the Sheraton in Brooklyn. If you have some time to work along side my sales gang I would gladly have you.

Please be sure to visit the Brooklyn Terrace our rooftop lounge the next time you are at the hotel. We look forward to being your host.

Safe Travels

St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here just after Hurricane Sandy, and the hotel was dealing with lots of people looking for last minute rooms and a very hectic atmosphere. The front desk staff was just great in handling everything. I needed to extend my stay by one day, which I did through the Sheraton 800 number, who provided excellent service, and the change of plans (I ended up with two separate reservations - my original and a second for one extra day) was handled extremely well by the front desk as well. The hotel is in "downtown" Brooklyn, close to several subway lines, and an easy walk of a mile or so to many Brooklyn neighborhoods. The rooms are very nice and large for New York hotels. I had a couple of small service glitches, just minor things that didn't mar the visit but if done better would make the hotel great. Here's the list:
1. The in room safe in my room didn't work;
2. I "ordered" a continental breakfast by phone using the menu on the door card -- about 10 minutes later I got a call from room service that the continental breakfast was only available if ordered overnight with the door card, so I had to switch my order to 3 a la care items (coffee, juice and bakery basket) from the "regular" room service menu. Not only did this cost more, but it wasted some of my time. Two comments on this -- if that's really the system, the person taking my order should have known this and not accepted my order in the first place. Second, I have NEVER encountered a hotel where the items listed on the overnight door card were not also available by phone through room service. This is just weird.
3. I had a very early wake up call scheduled, but I actually woke up earlier than the call, so I called the desk and asked them to cancel my wake up call. They said they would, but 15 minutes later I got the wake up call anyway, while I was in the shower. I couldn't make it to the phone in time to answer, so I got a second call five minutes later while I was still in the bathroom. Both times, I rushed to get to the phone for a wake up call that should have already been cancelled.
All three of the above were minor glitches, but they should not have happened.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Great to hear all your kind words about the Sheraton . Our sweet sleeper mattress and bedding package are truly world renowned.

We look forward to being your host again in the near future without "Sandy" swirling around us.

Warsaw
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

To start with something positive, the location is good as for Brooklyn - close to two subway stations. And free wifi in the lobby area.

The rest was simply not as expected from Sheraton brand.
Our room was super small with a window just above Aircon vents. Every time we took a shower, the bathroom was flooded with water. The vending machine in the corridor was noisy and never refilled during our 10 days stay. The swimming pool is very small and sultry.

But this is nothing, compared to the check-out service. We've ordered a taxi for 4 people with luggage a day in advance and agreed on the price ($50). We've confirmed it an hour before departure. 15 minutes AFTER agreed time the receptionist didn't have a clue what we are talking about, and ordered a taxi just at that time.
When the taxi came after next 15mins, it became clear, that we won't fit into one. They gave us the option to pay for two, or to order and wait for a minivan ($75). The manager did nothing to help us in this situation and left us with the driver to negotiate. It was a terrible service on their behalf.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thanks for the positives on proximity to 8 subway lines and complimentary wi-fi. These are two great attributes that are commonly mentioned by the guest.

I look forward to being your host again in the near future.

Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

THANK YOU Sheraton Brooklyn. This is truly a place to stay if you want to avoid the crowd of downtown NYC, your still accessable to transportation such as buses and the subway, shops, retail, restaurants and cafe's in this area of brooklyn.

The beds here are the best, so comfortable, i should of asked them the brand and where i could buy them from lol
I also have worked in the hotel industry and it is always good to see staff that are friendly, polite, professional, and always willing to assist, from another brand hotel. At check in the the lady receptionist couldn't find my reservation but the other night employee reno or leno, sorry i forgot his name but its something like that was very helpful and in the end he found reservation, please thank him for me.

It is also good to see and thank there hotel GM for being out and about and engaging with her guests, as not many GM's out there wouldn't do that with there customers. It goes to show the management of this hotel care about there guests.

I will be back for sure in the near future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Now were talking....thank you so much for your gracious comments. Be sure to come and visit us soon

Paris forum
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed here recently for 3 nights while visiting family who live close by. The staff at the front desk were very helpful, offering us free wifi since the hotel was not very busy. The rooms are freshly decorated (the hotel is fairly new), somewhat small, but, hey, you're in New York. We have stayed at the New York Marriott Brooklyn Bridge before and liked it but the Sheraton was almost $100 cheaper. Still, with taxes, we were shelling out around $300 a night. A bit pricey.
The area is not as sketchy as most people have mentioned. if you are not used to an urban area then you may be a bit uncomfortable. My daughter and I walked a few blocks at night with no issues. There is a lot of construction going on nearby so I imagine the area will continue to build up and continue to improve.
Don't bother springing for the club level. The complimentary continental breakfast was very limited. There were also supposed to be beverages available but I only saw a few soda options, no bottled water. There was a complimentary bottled water in your room however which was nice.
Two complaints: Maybe it's just me, but when I am spending $300 per night, I would really appreciate real glasses in the room instead of plastic ones. C'mon Sheraton, you can do better. The other problem with the hotel is the excruciatingly slow elevators. There are 4 of them but they are extremely small and during the weekend we had to wait sometimes 10 minutes for one. Sometimes we took the stairs. But even the stairwells were confusing and we needed help from an employee to find the very small main lobby.
Would I stay again? Yes, as it is a better value than the Marriott and the rooms were nice and clean. But, someone please take a look at the elevator issue.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for mentioning all the attributes of the Sheraton and what a great value it is as compared to other full service hotels in the Brooklyn area. I will do some checking on the elevator speed. Perhaps there is an opportunity to increase the speed.

Marie Kupfer

Been to Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel? Share your experiences!