“A Gem Grows in Brooklyn” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
New York City, New York
“A Gem Grows in Brooklyn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I travel to Brooklyn a lot, and I keep coming back to the Sheraton because (1) the rooms are extraordinarily clean and comfortable with undoubtedly the best bed in the industry; (2) the hotel is so conveniently located with incredible ease to get to anywhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn; (3) the entire staff is remarkably friendly and accommodating; and (4) the hotel amenities -- most notably the bar and restaurant -- are outstanding.

Whether you're a business traveler, family touring NYC, or young college kid hanging around in this really bustling and fun part of Brooklyn, this hotel will be a perfect and affordable choice. It's not perfect by any means, but I have never ever had any issue whatsoever the very attentive staff didn't try to rectify. You might read some reviews about a 12-hour hot water outage, but hotel management placed memos in each room updating us on the situation, and was more than accommodating in terms of making alternative arrangements available (next door at their sister property). While it was a minor inconvenience, things like this will happen from time to time, but I'm going to keep returning to this hotel regardless. Sure, the elevators can be a bit slow during high peak hours (maybe once per week on a Monday night or Friday morning when people with lots of bags are coming/going), but I've yet to stay in a cleaner, friendlier, and more hospitable hotel. As for other nuisances like magnetic card keys being unpredictable or some construction noise around the block, I've come to expect that downtown Brooklyn isn't going to be crickets-chirping-at-night type of quiet, and truly appreciate this hotel for what it is -- a downright nice and clean place with an extraordinary staff. Don't miss the bar/restaurant on the lobby level (called Grubstake), because it's one of the best hotel bars I've ever been to, with a great menu, amazing and friendly staff, and pleasant vibe and atmosphere.

One last thing -- the people and service in this hotel are what make it memorable and pleasant, and they're the reason I think this hotel is a place worth recommending to everyone. There are so many people in this hotel who are truly there to make your stay more comfortable, and would do whatever they can to keep you happy. Marie runs an outstanding team, and I'd give a special shout-out to Damien and Stephanie at the front desk (with lots of help from Chris, Fred, and Nigel); Dinah and Charlotte at the bar; and Wanda in the Club Room. There are loads of other people behind the scenes who are true professionals at what they do (like Amando, Sergio, Rasheeda) and whenever my travels take me to NYC, I wouldn't even consider staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Just ask the very courteous staff for what you want -- quiet, sunny, corner, whatever -- and they al...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your great review and recognizing so many of our staff members. I wouldn't expect anything less and have asked that copies of your note go into everyones personnel file. Thanks also for mentioning that Downtown Brooklyn is the hottest, most exciting place to be.

Thank you for being Starwood loyal. Safe travels and be sure to come and visit us soon.

Marie J Kupfer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had booked this hotel 5 months ago as part of a special weekend break in Brooklyn with my partner. Given some previous posts about problems of rooms being overbooked / not available, my partner made special efforts to contact the hotel to advise them of late check-in to ensure we would have no problem. We even had an email from the hotel manager to reassure us that our king double room would be available for us. When we arrived at around 12 midnight tired from JFK, we were told that there were no king doubles for us. They did not offer a convincing explanation of why this was. When we mentioned the lengths we had gone to ensure smooth check-in the receptionist eventually offered us what she appeared to suggest was an upgrade to a king double with terrace. We viewed the room and found that the one bed was in fact a small double (or a single as they described it at the hotel) and given the cold weather, a terrace was no benefit. Only when we complained further did the duty manager offer us an upgrade to a suite with 2 "singles", with free access to club lounge and breakfasts. We found this to be good compensation but we felt that they should have offered this to us first without trying persuading us, we felt misleadingly, to take an inferior room instead.

The hotel also had no hot water for over 24 hours due, apparently, to damage caused through routine maintenance. Although management put a letter under our door notifying us of the problem, there was no attempt to offer an alternative solution or some sort of discount. We managed to negotiate a free late checkout and again we were satisfied with this.

This could be a really good hotel. It is in a good situation to explore Brooklyn and a convenient base to head into Manhattan by subway. The room was clean and the beds were some of the most comfortable we have slept in anywhere. The bar was comfortable with friendly bar maid. So, had the hotel actively sought to help us with these problems (rather than somewhat grudgingly), we would probably be giving the hotel 4 or 5 stars.

Room Tip: Avoid late check-in if you want to ensure the room you chose is available.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. Though some initial confusion upon check in, I am happy to hear you were upgraded to one of our suites and provided access to our Club lounge so you might enjoy breakfast each morning and hors d'oeuvres each evening.

Thanks also for recognizing our suite sleeper beds and the hotels proximity to 8 subway lines. As I recall you were in town to see Barbara Streisand at the new Barclay Center. I trust you enjoyed the show as much as I.

Safe travels and we look forward to being your host in the near future

toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

There are many things that you look for in any hotel, and HOT WATER is one of the essentials!

When I checked in to the Sheraton Brooklyn, no one at the front desk felt if necessary to reveal to me that there was no hot water in the hotel.

By 6 pm when they knew that the problem could not be fixed that day, they were still checking in new guests and not informing them of the lack of any hot water SHAMELESS!!!!!

I did not expect the staff at a Sheraton Hotel would put profits over ethics!!!

When we immediately left after discovering that there was no hot water, I was required to speak to a supervisor to ensure that there would be no charges on my credit card.

Room Tip: If you need any space, then this is not the hotel for you! The rooms are small. The largest bu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MarieKupfer, General Manager at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Thank you for your review.

During routine maintenance of our boilers, there was unexpected damage to the system causing us to be without hot water . Once certain we could not get the necessary parts for repair, we notified guests by phone, written notice and at time of check in. Our apologies this information did not get to you.

Please feel free to contact my office so I may personally apologize for your inconvenience.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in early October. Their beds and towels are to die for, truly the most comfy I have ever stayed in. Hotel reception seemed very busy and always stressed, but for the most part attentive and polite. The cleaning staff where one of the best features, they where the most helpful and kindest of employees. They helped and serviced me above and beyond there job description. Location was a little bit hard to find, Taxi's had trouble locating the hotel. However the hotel is very close to the train line, which was helpful getting in and out of the city everyday. The only reason I did not give a 5 rating was because I was out one night with a group of people who where also staying at the hotel, and I left my jacket at the bar, they very kindly took it back to the hotel and handed it in a reception. When I checked out the next morning I asked if someone had handed in the jacket and the reception staff member took a quick look and said he could not find it. I had since returned to Australia and sent an e-mail to the hotel in the hopes that they had my jacket, and the manager of guest services found it and sent it back to me, at my own cost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ahhhh yes we are very proud of our world renowned Sweet Sleeper mattress. The next time you are in the market for a bed be certain to shop online for our mattress along with the complete bedding package.

Also I was just advised your coat was shipped back. It had been secured in our lost and found area. Be sure to come visit the next time you are in the States. We look forward to being your host in the near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Am currently sitting in bathroom waiting for hot water. I called the front desk and was told they are working it. Yesterday they were working on the elevators now its the hot water. Also the valet was very rude after having to walk from the 10th floor down the stair I get down stair to be told I need a ticket and I.d to get into my car. Also we were for a wedding , we left the wedding card at the vow Ceromy and its was convietly stole when we return moment later. Over all pretty building nothing seems to work and don't forget anything cause you will never see it again. And when valet get everything out the car cause to get back to car is nearly impossible

• Stayed October 2012
My apologies. The chance of our elevators and hot water going down at the same time in a building that is just two years old is really slim to none. As you can imagine, many people were working tirelessly to get these issues addressed as expeditiously as possible.

As for not allowing you into a vehicle with out having the correct claim check, I trust you can understand why our valet company held firm to that policy. Security is always a top priority of every hotelier.

Please feel free to contact my office directly so I may personally apologize and or discuss further

Marie J. Kupfer
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We have stayed 6 nights in this hotel. I am a SPG Gold member and really disappointed with the experience in this hotel.

No basic stuffs doe the over$300 per night hotel : There is no fridge in the room.

Most incompetent house keeping standard: the blanket remains unfolded on the chair. I took the picture and showed to the duty manager - Stephanie who said will talk to the house keeping. However the next day same thing happened. Can't be bother to talk to the front desk again since they were too busy to handle other complaints almost everyday. The dirty cups and plates were not removed from the room. This makes me wonder i have to leave tips in order to have the basic house keeping services from this hotel.

Front desk staff:
They are nice but they need more training for the local knowledge. We asked a few transportation questions they don't seem to know much and not bother to have further check.

I've stayed in the SPG for almost all my business trips in Asia. The standard of this hotel is certainly a surprise and disappointment to me and my family.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your review.

Honestly, I am rather confused about an unfolded blanket that would have been left on a chair in your room. Would you be so kind to contact my office directly so I can discuss with you personally

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Great service and comfortable clean accomodations. Location isn't great but near the subway. Hard for even expreienced taxis to find. Nice indoor pool and spa. The breakfast was pricey but there are places to get a bite to eat nearby.The staff was friendly and helpful. The room had a green option with points given for meals. The room was very clean and spacious. The price is better than hotels of similar quality in Manhattan

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for recognizing the staff being friendly and helpful. I will be certain to share your comments with our front office staff. Further, the spaciousness and cleanliness comments with our housekeeping department

We look forward to being your host again in the near future

Marie Kupfer

Been to Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel? Share your experiences!