“Too much noise from rooftop club” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Brea
“Too much noise from rooftop club”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

I stayed at the Sheraton Brooklyn on a recent business trip and was disappointed. I was placed in a room on the 19th floor and could not sleep due to the loud base/music from the rooftop club. The next day I was able to move and was placed on the 12th floor and could still hear the bass. Bad idea to put a dance club there. The staff seemed to be unorganized and not as professional as they should be. I wished I had selected the Brooklyn Marriott which was in a better location and from the looks of it a much better choice. If you stay in downtown Brooklyn; go with the Marriott.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a lower floor away from the rooftop club
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Polish first
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

A very friendly hotel with a great location. We arrived here just before Irene (for a wedding which had to be cancelled), and ended up staying an extra 2 nights as we missed our flight home! Never having visited Brooklyn had no idea of the neighbourhood but ended up loving the place. The staff at the hotel were all very friendly, especially the lady in the Club Lounge who looked after us at breakfast (sorry, never got the name) - rooms were great and the beds were so comfortable. The only (slightly) annoying thing was the unreliability of the key cards in the lifts and Club Lounge, but we had our cards re-keyed and it did seem to do the job - all in all definitely hope to come back

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

The hardest thing was to find the hotel but as soon as we stepped inside we felt the warm welcome. The rooms are not big but the bed is very comfortable; the hotel seemed to recently renovated, the colors are mainly dark brown and the bathroom is stylish. The location is perfect, very close to the underground station and only minutes to Manhattan withot the big price tag. A lot of restaurants very close by including "Juniors" with the best cheese cake in New York. Also the cruise terminal is not far, only s short cab ride away. We will stay there again before our next cruise.

Room Tip: We had a few to Staten Island and the "Queen Mary 2" when we woke up!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Stavanger, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I was lucky to get a great prepaid rate using Travelzoo: 109 USD/night + taxes and charges (128 USD/night incl taxes and charges). This stay was my 4th visit to NYC, but the first time I ventured outside Manhattan.

LOCATION
It is a quick and easy commute to Manhattan with access to many subway lines (A/C/F/R, 2/3 and B/Q/R) only a couple of minutes walking from the hotel. The bus network is also good for exploring Brooklyn.

I’m a solo female traveler in my mid 30’s and had no issues with the immediate area around the hotel or walking from the subway to the hotel at night. I spent 7 nights in the hotel. I see some reviews mentioning that the area is seedy at night. I disagree; an area is not seedy just because you see people with a different clothing style than you normally see in your home town or because you see people with a different skin color than yourself.

The hotel is approximately 5 minutes walk to the start of Smith Street. In this street you can find good quality lunch and dining options.

The original Junior’s is only a couple of blocks away and a safe choice for breakfast, otherwise I went to Brooklyn Fare to pick up items for breakfast or snacks.

THE HOTEL
The limited times I was in touch with the staff at the front desk, they were helpful and friendly.

The front desk and lobby area is cramped and there is little space to sit down. During my 1 week stay they for some reason removed the couch they had in front of the TV in the lobby and reduced the number of seats.

4 computers are free of use for the guests. There is also free WiFi in the lobby (WiFi in the room for a fee).

The elevators are probably the most annoying factor in the hotel. There are 4 elevators with limited space lined up next to each other, however normally only 2 or maximum 3 of them would be in operation. Thus when the hotel has more than 20 levels the elevator waiting time could sometimes be 5 minutes or more.

My hotel room was located at the end of the corridor. It was small, with the bed taking up most of the space, but the layout was still good and the same with details like wide screen TV, mirror, lamps, safe etc. There is no mini bar/fridge. The beds are fantastic! I’m a light sleeper, but had no issues with disturbing noise at night.

The bathroom is clean and you can still see that the hotel is new. Nice shower. Puffy and soft towels.

One recommendation to the hotel: please consider using plastic bags in your garbage bins. It feels unhygienic without.

Also it is not good service that housekeeping leaves a note at the door telling you to contact the reception if you would like room cleaning that day when you have the “Do not disturb” sign on the door before 9:30 am.

On the day of departure it is bad service to knock on the door around 10 am asking what time you are leaving. I understand that housekeeping is on a busy schedule, but this should not affect the guests.

I hope to stay at Sheraton Brooklyn Hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
providenciales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Do not hesitate to stay in this hotel. The location is not the best but the rooms are. Their is no noise nor from street nor from the hallways. The insulation is perfect. The rooms are nice but the beds are the best. We loved our stay and will stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Was here over the 9/11 weekend. Was traveling with friends who were on a tight budget and ran across a deal at this hotel for $109 a night usually $218 and up. My wife and I always have stayed somewhere in Manhattan just because it is more convenient but tried this place because of friend's budget concerns. Turns out because of the "terrorist theats" friends backed out the night before we were leaving. Any way my wife and I went and were really impressed with the hotel and mostly the staff. The hotel is about 3/4 amile from the East River and has accsess to 2 train lines within 2 blocks.(A,C & F and 2& 3). The neighborhood is somewhat rundown but seemed real safe and had no problems or worries. I would stay here again for sure. You can be in lower manhattan in 5 mins by train or cab. Only 2 downers. To get a cab you have to go about 2 blocks because the hotel is not on a busy street. They do have private cars available to take you. That is my second downer. We needed to go to the airport and inside the desk told me it would cost $35 to the airport and when we were ready to go the bellman got us this really old stretch limo (sorta gross and weird) and the drived mumbled forty when I asked how much. We were in a hurry so I said what the hell. When we got there I gave him $45 because I been in third world vehilces cleaner then this one i and he was a little ticked. Mumbled something like crook. So bottom line hotel very nice and newer and the staff was great. Not a bad location just be aware of transportation issues.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our stay at the Sheraton Brooklyn Bridge was pleasant. The hotel is clean and our room was quiet.There is a fee for wifi in the rooms, but it is free in the lobby. The lobby is equiped with 5 PCs with large monitors as well as a printer, all free to use. The elevators require you to swipe your room key before pushing your floor button will work. This is new to me and a nice added security measure. The view from our room was pretty good and included a direct sight of the Statue of Liberty. The king bed was firm but not as comfortable as my own foam mattess. At first it seemed quite nice, but after a few days it became just ok. The linens are crisp with two large pillows each and white down comforters. Very nice after a day of schlepping around Brooklyn and Manhattan on the subway!

The showers are a bit weak on pressure but good enough. I grew up in Queens but have lived in California for the last 30 years or so. When we visit NY, we usually stay in a Manhattan hotel, or with relatives in Queens and Long Island. This time we decided to try the up-and-coming gentrified Brooklyn. There is a lot to learn and experience, even if you are a native New Yorker. There is a subway station about a block away and with a little map reading and asking a few questions, you can get anywhere. You can walk to quite a few decent restaurants from the hotel. Try Pane E Vino in Cobble Hill (about 12 blocks, easy walk). Thursday nights there is a trio playing Tango music, which was relaxing. The food was very good and inexpensive. About five blocks from the hotel is Mile End Deli. Very good food, pricier, tiny, but acclaimed. Prepare to pay $12 for a hot dog and beans. But... WHAT a hotdog and beans. Delicious.

When it is time to leave, private cars are always available out front. They work out to be cheaper (usually) and nicer than cabs. A ride from the hotel to La Guardia airport is $35 (plus tip). ONE WORD OF CAUTION: Although Brooklyn is no longer the war zone it was when I was a child, it is still dangerous, like any urban area can be. On our return to the hotel from dinner on our last night there, it was a bit late for us to be walking the streets. My wife and I were coming down Hoyt street about two blocks from the hotel when we encountered a group of about 8-10 youths (late teens, early twenties). My wife had her travel bag and I had a camera backpack loaded with Nikon gear! We walked right through the middle of them without incident but... one of them ran across the street and threw a punch at a young man walking along with headphones on. The punch to the head caused him to drop his ipod. They all laughed and moved on. The youth who was hit gathered himself and kept walking, holding his head. He appeard to be an innocent who was the unlucky recipient of a dare or some other nonsense. This random act of violence in no way reflects on the hotel, but let it be a warning. If it is past a certain hour (you decide), take a cab. During the daylight hours, you can walk the streets in the shopping district near the hotel (Fulton Streen). There are lots of people about.

We got in on a promotion that made the hotel stay about $125/night out-the-door. That helped us decide to stay there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel? Share your experiences!