“Not as bad as I thought it would be” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #25 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Aldie, Virginia
“Not as bad as I thought it would be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed at the 38th St Comfort Inn with a relative for two nights. The hotel was ok...and I mean just ok. The room was extremely small but comfortable. The bathroom was also small. They need to use a stronger bleach to wash the towels (bring your own). The bed was comfy and I am very particular about beds. The bed sheets had a lot holes which goes to show how old the sheets are but oh well. There is parking in the back of The hotel and according to the front desk 2 spots out front. I was lucky the nights I stayed there because the spots out front were always available. The cleaning crew were nice not overly nice but it is New York. The front desk personnel were nice and again not overly nice. I'd stay there again if it were just for a few nights but I find it was not worth the money. That's all folks

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
Willow Street, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The main attraction of this hotel for us is its location (near family). It is nothing fancy and have usually found the rooms clean and stocked with amenities. The one time we complained about an odor, the staff was most responsive and switched our room without a problem. Rooms include breakfast which is a nice touch. Sadly this time the hotel was so full that the breakfast room was too crowded to eat in and we ended up going out. The hotel has a parking lot which is a great plus. It may not be the nicest hotel in NY, but we found the service consistent, basic and acceptable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed there for two nights. Room was non-refundable so was not able to get out of hotel without loosing money. The room was so small that we felt suffocated and was stinky. When we were there, fumigator wanted to spray chemicals on bed to kill bed bugs. Looks like they had some other chemicals which made our mouth so dary and bleed.
Staff was not friendly at all. Towels were just like rags.
How they get 2.5 starts?????? I give this hotel minus 1 star
Will never stay there again.

Room Tip: I rather stay away from tis place.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Indore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

a great budget hotel , very basic but clean , silent , well located . the subway is just round the corner and is connected by all the major lines one would need if travelling to N.Y, it takes about 35 mins to reach the times square , where you can get any subway location , the macdonolds is very convinently located , breakfast is good , staff is helpfull

Room Tip: beware they have rooms in the basement , avoid those
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Terrible reception staff. Rude, offensive, obnoxious, and just outright discourteous. There is no reception and you are treated with a snare everytime you enter and leave the hotel. Rooms were a mess with a "clean" room having sheets with stains on them. When asked for a new sheet, could not even supply one until next morning. Wow, if I wanted to stay in a motel, I would have done so, thought a hotel would be a bit better. I guess not.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Excellent wifi, which was important to me; breakfast wasn't bad either. Easy to get into Manhattan and I felt safe enough in the neighbourhood. Domestic staff friendly and helpful - which is more than could be said for the reception staff - but I constantly found hairs that were not mine on the sheets and the bed cover was filthy. Sadly, on my last night, I also found a bed bug - but there is allegedly an epidemic in NYC so maybe it can't be help. If they could guarantee clean bed linen, no bugs, an occasional smile from reception staff, and the relatively low price, I'd probably stay again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed here for a week in May and I really wanted to give this place a good review, unfortunately I believe that we may have been victims of fraud at this hotel.

Mysterious charges showed up on a credit card that I left in the hotel room. I never used the card the entire time I was in NYC and all the fraud charges were NYC charges. The card is already cancelled and the charges refunded. Our only speculation is that someone was coming in and out of the rooms while we were gone. I do not typically allow housekeeping to come clean the room while we're gone. We always keep the "do not disturb" sign on the door. We do not care to have our room made up. Nothing else was taken. It's just a mystery, but the only place this could have started was the hotel.

We would leave the hotel room every morning around 9AM and not come back until around midnight. The day we checked out, we stayed in the room all morning and someone came knocking on our door. He said he was housekeeping but the housekeepers in the hotel were all female. I never opened the door but at that time I did not know my card was being used fraudulently.

Other than that, it's a decent place. The rooms are exceptionally small, but that's NYC for you. We hardly had a place to put our bags. There was no closet or luggage jack. The neighbourhood is a typical NYC neighbourhood. It's not unsafe but if you use utilise the subway there will be people hanging about all hours of the night. If you don't bother them they won't bother you.

The free breakfast was decent but it was just too crowded for us to use everyday. We alternated days with the local diner around the corner. They deliver. There are also food trucks and plenty of bodegas in the vicinity.

All of the staff was very friendly. I am just so confused about this fraud thing. The housekeepers were so nice. The front desk people were helpful. Who even knows who was actually doing this.

The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was clean. The water pressure in the shower was a little weak, however. The rooms are also very close together and you can hear everything. You can hear other guests in the hallway. You can hear them opening and closing their doors. The room next door was so close that every time they opened their door, I thought they were opening ours. A/C was also a little weak; the room seemed stuffy at times but maybe because it was so small.

This place is a bit far from the action, if you're looking for easy access to midtown Manhattan. The train rides are about 45 minutes. This did not bother me because my wallet was happy. You won't find these kind of prices in Times Square.

Unfortunately, I will not stay here again because of what happened.

Room Tip: Don't get the rooms next to the elevators!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Comfort Inn Brooklyn? Share your experiences!