“Good Brooklyn deal” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Good Brooklyn deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Small but good 5-storey hotel 4 blocks from 4th Ave & 9th St metro station (R line takes 20 min to lower Manhattan, F line 35 min to Penn Station). There is also at least one local bus stop on 3rd Ave and 9th St. There are only a few delis and eateries around the hotel, but they close early. After 8:00pm is better to walk East 13th St. to 5th Avenue although getting there might feel a little eery because 13th seems deserted (although nothing happened while I was there). There is always the option of asking food to be delivered to the hotel from any of the restaurants that offer the service (the hotel has the menus of these restaurants in the 2nd floor, with all the other tourist fliers and pamphlets). The breakfast room on the 2nd floor is small and it can get crowded at certain times, but it was well supplied and kept while I was there. Be there early or get in and take your breakfast with you to your room. Mostly coffee, OJ, apple juice, milk, cereal, instant oatmeal, yogurt, boiled eggs, large slices of whole wheat bread, bagels, waffles, and wrapped cinnamon rolls and blueberry danishes. There's a toaster and a MW. Nothing fancy, but enough to get you walking (rolls and danishes are good for later ;-) I stayed in a single room with a kingsize bed. Room and bathroom were clean and well stocked. There was a 32" flatscreen with a few movie and news channels (wish they had a small microwave and fridge on each room). AC/heating units are independent and worked really well. Floors have icemakers and snack vending machines, but the soda vending machine is only on the 2nd floor. Service was good and friendly. I had originally reserved a double room and got a phone call before getting there to ask if I could be moved to a single since I was going to be just by myself. I agreed and was nicely surprised with a small gift when I got there. Bottom line, affordable, accessible, safe and clean. Enough to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms only face West to 3rd Ave or East to the small parking lot on the rear. The rear gets the morn...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Lititz, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The lobby was under construction during my stay so you had to enter through a side exit door and walk a narrow flight of stairs up to the second floor temporary office in one of the rooms on the second floor. The narrow stairway made it difficult bring in more than one piece of luggage at a time (I usually have 4 pieces of luggage). The pace of the construction workers gave me the impression that it would be longer than the week stated on the entrance way to finish.

After checking in, I unpacked and loaded the mini-fridge with bottled water and soda cans. It wasn't very cold so I turned the knob up to the max setting thinking it would be cold for the next morning. The next morning the water and soda weren't cold so I got some ice and filled up my thermal bag to take with me. I let it go for the first day thinking it may take a full day to cool down. After returning in the evening, I found the drinks to still be warm, so I emptied the mini-fridge, unplugged it and placed a not on top "Fridge Doesn't Work, Please Replace". I also walked down to the temporary office and let the night shift person know that the fridge didn't work. He said that his maintenance person had left for the evening (it was 6:30 pm) and that they would replace the mini-fridge the next day. Guess what was waiting for me when I walked into the room the next night ? The same non-working mini-fridge with my note still attached but plugged back in and back in the same spot where I pulled it out. Again, I walked down to the temporary office and the same night shift person while apologetic said that he would have the mini-fridge replace by no later than 10 PM that night. Well, 10 PM rolled by and I was about to go to bed. Around 11:10 PM, "housekeeping" was knocking at my door with a replacement mini-fridge. (it was the maintenance person) I re-installed the replacement and put the water and soda into this mini-fridge expecting it to be cold in the morning. The next morning, I ended up getting ice again since this replacement wasn't any better than the first one.

As for the breakfast area, if you like plain bagels and creme cheese then you are in luck. Of the 4 mornings that I attempted to have breakfast, the first day was the worst for having any food other than the bagel. Only of 2 of the 4 mornings, was there fruit (bananas) and if you wanted either Raisin Bran or Raisin Bran or Raisin Bran for cereal for the first 3 mornings or Cinnamon Toast Crunch (only cereal available on the 4th morning).. There was the make your own waffle maker but it didn't look too appetizing. I'm not a coffee drinker so I didn't even look for coffee. They had the usual watered down juices from a juice dispenser (you know the kind where the juice comes in a large pouch and then mixed with water for serving.)

Although the rooms were larger than those I've stayed in Manhattan, they were smaller than other La Quintas in NYC area. It was adequate in size for one person in a king bed room but would be tight for more than 1. I had a hard time finding a place for the ironing board and being able to stand next to it and iron my clothes.

One day housekeeping left me a bath mat that had so many stains that I used a plastic bag to pick it up and put a note on it for that mat not to be used again.

The bathroom was average for the size hotel room.. I couldn't understand why they replaced the soap every day with new ones. Most other hotels wait until you are close to running out before putting out a new bar. It seemed very wasteful. The bathroom paint around the shower could use some touch up as the paint had pealed off the wall in several spots. Overall housekeeping kept the room fairly clean but it needed a very good cleaning with the dust coming from the lobby construction. They tried to keep the elevator clean but it was covered in dust every time I went to use it except one morning that the elevator floor was still wet from their attempt at cleaning it.

The doors weren't very sound proof and being close to the elevator, I would hear any conversations travelling down the hallway. One evening , the fire alarm went off for a few minutes and I had to quickly get dressed only to have the alarm stop as I reached to open my door.

I was less than 4 miles to the customer site so it wasn't the closest hotel nor was it the least expensive but it was close to the highway that I could find it at night. There was a Subway/Dunkin Donuts about a half a block away and a good Chinese restaurant on 4th (within walking distance) so finding something to eat wasn't a problem. The street next to the parking area is one way so you have to go up to the next block, across 4th and back down 13th to get into the parking lot. You definitely want to cross 4th at a traffic light. It's almost impossible to turn left across 4th without one.

As I stated in the title, had I known that the lobby was under construction, I probably would have stayed elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't get 506 or 508. Directly across from the elevator. There isn't much of a view from...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sandton, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The rooms are small but very clean. Large LCD TV with cable. Small bar fridge.It's about a five minute walk to he subway, which takes about 20 minutes to get to central Rockefeller centre in Manhattan. The hotel is well situated in a clean quiet neighbourhood of Brooklyn and very close to 5th Ave which has loads of restaurants.
Breakfast is very basic and the caferaria is very small which can get quite crowded.
There is are a lift to get you to the 6th floor.
Staff are very friendly. They need to get a new aircon in the reception area, it's extremely noisy an d can be disruptive to some people..

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
LQ6328, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Brooklyn Downtown, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and for the review! We appreciate the positive feed back!

At La Quinta, we strive to make each stay memorable. We recently updated our lobby to enhance the experience of our guests. We invite you to come back and tell us how we have done.

We look forward to serving you again.

Best regards,
Jatin Saraiya
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Convenient and economical way to get to Manhatten. Subway 3 blocks away. Compact hotel with small lobby and small, but adequate rooms. Very clean and very quiet. Breakfast was typical, but crowded and some items were not available. Free parking in small lot behind hotel a major plus. Felt very safe here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Charming hotel located conveniently near the subway. Perfect location to get to and from Manhattan. Feels new, really cool looking lobby. Breakfast plentiful, and great decor. Staff friendly and helpful. Management seems to be very attentive to customer service. Simply loved the rooms! Clean and well appointed. Will definitely stay here when visiting New York City!

Room Tip: If you are traveling to Manhattan, stay here and take the subway. You'll save money and get the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hatteras Island, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The neighborhood is not the best but is closer to the best than to the worst. The lobby is tiny and the room was tinier, just a foot of floor space around the bed. But it was clean and quieter than most in NY. Good shower and toiletries. Adequate wifi. Small parking spaces behind building also worked for us. Really I have no complaints.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Brooklyn Downtown? Share your experiences!