“Great Meal” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Vinegar Hill House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #95 of 4,411 restaurants in Brooklyn
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Water & Front
Transit: York Street off of the F train
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

4 of us went for dinner. This place was a little off the beaten path...several blocks from DUMBO area. We all had spicey green salads to start.....a very generous portion of greens for a side salad. We had the duck liver mousse as an appetizer...very good!! Had a slightly sweet taste and just very yummy. For our entrees, I had the short ribs. There were 2 meaty ribs, which was a pleasant amount. My wife had the garganelli pasta..she really enjoyed it. The other couple had the garganelli and chicken dish, which both said they really enjoyed. The restaurant had a very nice looking outside area for eating if you would prefer...we choose inside. The waiters were very attentive to our needs. Overall, a very nice, but expensive meal at 170.00 for 4.

83% Recommend
Toronto
“Excellent restaurant in Dumbo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Vinegar Hill House is sort of off the beaten path and down a non-impressive street. But the restaurant is a quaint, country farmhouse with excellent service and food (although the wines were nothing special and a bit disappointing but that was the only thing). The chicken two ways was excellent! My boyfriend didn't want to get chicken because usually it is the least exciting dish on a menu, but I had heard such great things about it, I persuaded him to try it and we were not disappointed. Both pieces of chicken were moist and flavourful. The lamb was also good as well as the cheese and meat platter.

We took in the Brooklyn Bridge Park that is under the Brooklyn Bridge and next to the Manhattan Bridge and it was a great way to start a meal.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brooklyn, NY
“Tasty food, served in small portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

All of the raves about the food and drinks here are right on. Super tasty! But my $12 drink went down pretty fast. Since I ultimately had two and my husband had two, that means we spent $48 on four drinks that were seriously juice-glass size. We weren't given bread (though other tables got a basket). The salads were actually a decent size, which left us unprepared for the tiny meal portions. We split a dessert, then walked to Jacques Torres to split a second dessert at half the $9 price that Vinegar Hill charges for its sweets. In short, we sincerely loved every swallow, but man, I don't think the value is there. It's fun to do once if you're a restaurant-lover (the place has a great vibe) but it could never be a regular hang for us.

Armonk, New York
“Food was good, service not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I'm not sure what to say about this place. We got there early, before they opened on a Saturday afternoon. Waited in line. When they opened, we were seated in the order that we arrived. While the food was good, I don't think we would return. During the entire meal, we felt that the service was annoyed by our questions. I also think that they pushed us to order more than we wanted to order. The best part of the meal was the charcuterie, my kids loved it, though I really don't think the staff cared for my kids. Having lived in Brooklyn before we had kids, I remember that there are places that just don't want kids around, even if it is early...

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Comfortable atmosphere and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I recently met a friend at this restaurant, upon her suggestion. We sat at the bar for dinner. The bartender was really friendly- no pretentious service here! I loved our food and the rose we ordered was fantastic! I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you are spending some time in DUMBO. It really stands out from the other DUMBO restaurants, both in terms of atmosphere and in the quality of the food.

Visited May 2012