“Fun, different hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Brooklyn
Dayton, OH
“Fun, different hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

A new type of hotel. The room feels more like a college dorm room. The breakfast is good and fresh. I like that you can skip a cleaning and get a $5 coupon. Very friendly staff. Comfortable bed, quiet room (as long as you leave before the construction starts around 730am)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed her one night for NYE. What a awesome location! Close to Barclays, close to restaurants. if its not walking distance away the subway station is right on the corner and cabs and just a hand flag away. very clean and pretty hotel and the front desk staff were great! very nice and helpful. Only downside is the city parking stinks so you have to pay to park at the parking lots around the corner. would DEF stay here again!

Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed here for about a week. Very good location in Brooklyn--two blocks from subways to Manhattan (about a 10-15 minute ride) and near the Brooklyn Tkts booth (MUCH shorter line/wait than at Times Square). Only a few minor shortfalls: There are not many nice restaurants within walking distance although carryouts are plentiful. Asked the front desk clerks about restaurants nearby and they could offer no suggestions. Also, the room we had (King) was much smaller than the norm in NYC. If you are travelling alone this would be OK but if there are 2 or more in your party it's a bit cramped. Would definitely NOT recommend a single room for families. The value however was good--about $100 LESS per night than a room in a Manhattan hotel. One final thing--although the hotel website indicated they did not provide parking again the front desk personnel could not give us any helpful suggestions about nearby parking lots or garages. To sum up, not a bad stay but some details were lacking.

Room Tip: Higher floors might be best...some late night street/traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Hi chowhound03

We have an electronic concierge system installed in the lobby. This new system will help guide our guests to local restaurants and activities around the area. Since your last postings we generated a new restaurant guide to assist our future guests- thank you. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay here at the Aloft Brooklyn New York Hotel and look forward to your return.

All The Best,
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I had done some research because this was going to be the first time that I actually stayed in a hotel on a visit to NYC. I had gone back and forth between this hotel and the Sheraton next door, and after talking to my sister, I decided to stay at the Aloft. I liked the fact that it was on a side street, but not to far from the main street. The subway at Hoyt Street was a block away so that made it easy for me to get to Manhattan with no problem. When I got my room key, I went up to the room only to find that the room had not been cleaned. I immediately went back downstairs and advised the person at the desk the condition of the room and was immediately given a new room. Went up to the new room and LOVED it. I was on the 23rd floor and my view was great! I loved the decor and how they used the space. The bed was comfortable, I had no complaints. I am going to be back in NYC the middle of January and will be making my reservation at the Aloft.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hi Law1970

I and my team look forward to you returning back to our Hotel. Thank you and have a healthy and safe 2014.

All The Best
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights. Luckily I got 2 rooms because the rooms are so small. We usually stay in Manhattan, but decided to try Brooklyn. We are also SPG members and seen no value in that except a free bottle of water. I had emailed them prior to arriving to request rooms on the same floor or near each other but ended up on different floors. You think they would have realized there were 2 reservations under the same name. I really can say anything great or good about this hotel. It was clean, but that is about it. Here are some of the reasons I will not stay here again. The area is not very nice. It is about a block from Fulton Mall which is not a mall but a street of stores, most of which travelers won't shop. There is a short distance to get to a subway. Late at night be watching over your shoulder. For being on a side street, there was a lot of noise from the street during the night. Hot water did not exist. After walking 10 hours and riding the subway all day a hot shower would have been nice, but all I got was warm. I would say this hotel is not for anyone under 35. Lots of young people, hipsters here. Wasn't a problem for me because I had my 22 yr old son with me. They have a system were if you skip getting your room cleaned you get a $5 food voucher. We skipped room service all 4 days. We just kept our rooms in order. Used the vouchers for breakfast on day. I guess there is one thing that was great about this hotel, Junior's Cheesecake was close. I would recommend the Westin Grand Central if you are a SPG member using points. There is also a Sheraton right next door to aloft. Didn't see the inside.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
The Fulton Mall is a pedestrian street mall. We have H&M, Macy’s, Aeropostale, Modell’s, Gap and over 200 other stores. According to city-data.com “you will want to visit what is considered to be probably the hottest shopping center in the city. More than 100,000 visitors a day come from all over the city - and from out of it - to visit the Fulton Mall.” The aloft Brooklyn offers complimentary bottled water+in-room mini-refrigerator+wi-fi+ internet+morning coffee & tea, business center+we’re pet-friendly, we have lot to offer our travelers – hence my confusion on your review? Due to the high demand for our hotel we’ve been sold-out for most of the time period you requested. I’m so sorry we could not locate a vacant room to keep your reservations all on the same floor. We are always striving to improve our overall guest experience at the aloft.

All The Best,
Palmetto, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Comfortable room- especially for New York. Surprisingly there's a pool  (shared with the adjacent property). Aloft seems to make an effort at becoming the antidote to decades of zero ambience as the standard in hotels, and they do a pretty good job. You're likely to appreciate many little features that'll make you say "why didn't anyone else in the hotel business think of this in the last fifty years?" I'd stay here again instead of the countless outdated and overpriced alternatives.

• Stayed December 2013
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Hi sethreaux,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I agree with you, Aloft is a one of a kind hotel filling a perfect niche for travelers like yourself.

Safe Travels and Happy New Year!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

From reading the reviews, we expected super tiny rooms. But our room was bigger than expected and they made great use of the space! Very modern and chic decor, nice lobby and convenient location! We would stay here again.

Hi hteBoJ,

I'm happy you decided to draw your own conclusions by staying with us. Many of your trip advisor bloggers have concluded the Aloft Brooklyn is a modern chic and convenient hotel vs. the competition. Please come back. Thanks

Been to Aloft New York Brooklyn? Share your experiences!