“Nice City Hotel! Close to subway and lots of amenities” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Brooklyn
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice City Hotel! Close to subway and lots of amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

A great value, close to shops and restuaturants and a quick subway ride to Manhattan. The staff was friendly and provided good recommendations of resturants in the area. The gym area was small, but efficient. Rooms were clean and well layed out for a city hotel room. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hi BadAngus,

I'm disappointed you did not enjoy our Suite, I have so many repeat guests who love our suites it's become a challenge at times trying to accommodate the volume of requests. BadAngus, I do want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to host your stay at the Aloft Brooklyn New York Hotel. I hope you continue to remain a big fan of the Aloft brand wherever your travels take you. We value your business and constructive feedback. Safe travels throughout the year. JP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Chicago IL, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I'm a huge fan of the Aloft chain, but this property isn't quite up to my expectations. The location is brilliant (as par for the Aloft course), just a short walk from a major subway hub.

I paid extra for a suite and got a pretty shabby room out of the deal. Rather than the awesome, usable design and furnishings I've come to expect from Aloft, this room was a design nightmare. Mostly hallway ... an unusable / uncomfortable sitting room ... and the same standard-issue desk space that the standard rooms have.

If you want to stay in Brooklyn, Aloft is a decent choice, but don't bother upgrading for a suite.

For what it's worth, the shower in my suite had pathetic water pressure. I asked for a fix after my first night, but I had to complain again the next day before they finally made it work in time for my final shower in a four-night stay.

Room Tip: Dont bother with a suite unless you really need extra room. Its not worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This colorful and hip spot lacks nothing in the amenities that were important to me- complimentary in-room water replenished every day, a convenient gym and pool/hot tub for those long sweaty NYC summer nights.

The hotel wins in location too- served by several subway lines that will have you in Manhattan in under 15 minutes. I love the openness of the bathroom area but some may not like the reduced privacy of the dressing area/ bathroom sinks. The shower has a frosted glass panel into the sleeping area. You can't see through it but again I could see how some people may not find it comfortable.

Finally- enjoy some of Brooklyn's nearby hip eateries- Habana Outpost for amazing Cuban, Chavela's in Crown Heights, Nature's Grill on Fulton for a healthy breakfast and morning coffee at Greene Grape Provisions.

Room Tip: You'll enjoyed a view from your 23rd floor room but note- the rooftop-24th floor hosts parties a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had read a number of the reviews about paper-thin walls but didn't have any problems. However, the aircon is very noisy in the room, particularly for anyone that isn't used to having it run all night. That said, the hotel is a reasonable place to stay if on business, but would not recommend for vacation unless on a budget.

My room was clean, tidy and well equipped - no baths though, only showers. There is a limited bar in reception but no restaurant, but if you don't want to go out - and lets be honest, it isn't in the nicest part of Brooklyn - you can use the sister hotel next door (Sheraton), which does have a reasonable bar and restaurant. No breakfast either, but there is a limited stock refreshment area in reception that provides the basics. The hotel does offer room service, but it looks as if this is delivered either from the Sheraton or a nearby restaurant, as it says it is delivered in plastic containers.

Give the choice, I would probably stay next door at the Sheraton but wouldn't have a problem staying at the Aloft again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jean P, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Hi irg141,

Thank you for the overall positive review and feedback. We do have a heavy weekday business crowd here – very observant. The area is bustling with new luxury high rises. Within 24-36 months this area is destined to become a destination hot spot. I'm in the process of replacing our existing air conditioning units with ultra-quiet ones. We started the retrofit project last month. As for the Sheraton, I love them as well. I invite you to stay at either property we would love to have you back. Safe Travels. JP
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

First, I will have to admit: I really do like the Aloft brand. It's fun without being crazy, bright and airy even in the plainest of cities, and it's always near the bottom in the price category.

I stayed at Aloft Brooklyn during Memorial day weekend at $127/night, which is a total steal for NYC. Granted it's not NYC, but Brooklyn, but it's only a couple of subway stops from Manhattan. Plus, Brooklyn is an up-and-coming cool area anyway in it's own right, so I didn't mind at all.

First, the service was excellent for a "limited service" hotel. No, you won't get a bellhop to deliver your luggage to your room, but you will get courteous service from the front desk and housekeeping staff. Special shout-out to the kitchen cook, who was very helpful in explaining the breakfast sandwiches to me.

Secondly, this Aloft is in a convenient area. It's close to the Fulton Street Mall, which is admittedly a bit run-down, but it has some good stores and is very busy in the daytime. At night you might see some somewhat sketchy characters but I never felt unsafe. It's a few blocks away from subway stops that will take you directly into the city.

Thirdly, if you check the official Web site (not Expedia or a third-party site) you can find some great discounts and deals. I always prefer booking directly with the hotel (or through SPG.com) because the terms are usually more flexible and I can get the same deals or better plus I still get my Starwood Preferred Guest credits.

Two downsides to this hotel:

First downside: If you take a cab from the airport, the cabbie will be very confused. Apparently Duffield Street isn't on the beaten path for tourists. Our cabbie was extremely annoyed and couldn't find the hotel at all. We ended up getting dropped off about three blocks away. NYC taxi FAIL on this point.

Second downside: I don't think this is really a downside, but some people might think so. This hotel is in Brooklyn, not Manhattan, so if you are looking for a Manhattan experience this won't be your place. However, given the prices I think it's definitely worth it.

Room Tip: Be sure to check the web site for specials...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello number5alive,

Your review is so detail and covers so many points. Great feedback and assessment. I'm going to piggyback on the last two areas briefly. The cabbie situation to be honest is a work in progress. We are 2 years old and the GPS companies are slow to update their databases except for Google. As for our location, with one train stop you're in Manhattan via the Q train. Overall I like your attention to detail and for taking the time out to share your experience with us. Hope you Brooklynite soon. Safe Travels. JP
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the aLoft for the holiday weekend and we had a great time. We arrived at the hotel late on 4th of July and our room was ready. The lobby was quiet and so was the neighborhood. We were greeted by the front desk clerk who was really nice - no complaints. We were extremely tired so all we wanted to do was shower and sleep. Upon entering our room, the rug was filthy. It looked like someone spilled coffee. My husband went downstairs to tell the front desk clerk and without question, she moved us to another room on the same floor.

The room we stayed (1808) was cool. I really loved the shower - we relaxed well. The AC in this room didn't start until it sensed motion in the room (go green).

The bed was comfy, we slept like babies.

The gym was nice - I had a great workout and we loved the terrace and pool areas though we didn't get to use them.

The area is Brooklyn - great shopping and it's food on every street. Fulton Street is a great place to shop. The location of the hotel is really convenient to subways which is a plus. IF you can find parking on the street be sure to read the signs.

We stayed an extra night and when checking out from our original reservation the rate was wrong. Emelly at the front desk fixed everything for us without any problems. I showed her my reservation confirmation and we were good to go.

I definitely will be staying at the aLoft Brooklyn in future travels. I really enjoyed it

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi missebbyj,

We're not perfect but our goal is to be “Perfect.” Thank you for allowing our staff to demonstrate how much we really care and love our guests. We love reading such great reviews - you have no idea. We work very long hours as a 24/7 business and your review is very touching to us all. I hope you come back soon to have even a bigger ball. Safe Travels. JP
Lebanon, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Aloft Brooklyn is located on Duffield Street in downtown Brooklyn. It shares a wall with the Sheraton Brooklyn, which is a larger hotel, and is directly across the street from another hotel, the Indigo. Duffield is a small, congested street that runs into Fulton Mall, which means Aloft has plenty of subway access points, which makes Aloft especially attractive for weekend travelers who want to see a lot of NYC on a budget. The main subway access in and out of Manhattan is within 200 yards of the hotel, the Red line 2 and 3 subways. We found using the subway, for the Q, R, A, C or Red lines, could not have been easier. We paid $31 each for seven day Metro cards, even though we were only planning to be in Brooklyn from Thursday afternoon to Saturday afternoon, over the Fourth of July weekend of 2013. We easily saved money, and the woman with a bicycle we met on the subway on our final leg back to Penn Station appreciated the two free 7-day Metro cards we gave her, that's for sure.

Aloft is a charming small hotel with a gracious, friendly young staff that helped make our stay most enjoyable. They took care of us as well as any hotel could be expected to take care of guests; they were just great. The hotel room is perfectly acceptable. I was anticipating a cramped hotel room but that's not the case. the king bed is not overly large for the room and the shower worked great, with plenty of just right, cool water to cool us off after a hot day out in the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi SteveLebanon_PA ,

Your comments: "Aloft is a charming small hotel with a gracious, friendly young staff that helped make our stay most enjoyable. They took care of us as well as any hotel could be expected to take care of guests; they were just great." I just want to say "THANK YOU SIR!" Safe Travels. JP

Been to Aloft New York Brooklyn? Share your experiences!