“Great hotel for NYC” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 51 hotels in Brooklyn
Ballymena, United Kingdom
“Great hotel for NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I booked Aloft Brooklyn as I had stayed in Sheraton next door before and found location good for travel into Manhattan (subway stop at end of street, Hoyt Street). Hotel was reasonably priced, bit less expensive than Manhattan but only 15 minutes away on subway. First impressions were good, bright lobby, with bar, seating area, pool table and snack bar, with reception in the middle. Staff were nice at check in and was in my room within 10 minutes of arriving at hotel. Room itself was big by New York standards, with oversized shower, and some fancy Samsung widescreen TV (though it wasnt turned on all week). Didnt eat in hotel but had complimentary coffee in lobby. Room service is provided by Sheraton next door, not sure how that works?

I used the fitness suite on a couple of occasions, theres 2 treadmills, 2 bikes and 2 cross trainers with free weights, looking onto an outdoor area with recliners, would be nice on a sunny day.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone who has been to NYC before. Its not in the centre of things but you are in Manhattan in 15 minutes on subway plus getting to it from JFK was simple, Airtrain to Jamaica then LIRR to Atlantic, then 15 minute walk to hotel. I thought hotel was spotless, staff were pleasant and efficient. Plus the lifts are like stepping into nightclub (music, florescent lighting, padded walls). Rooms were big. Would stay here again if in NYC and would look at Aloft accomodation in other cities.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

494 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
East Islip, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed here for two nights. Great location. Rooms are small, but clean and efficient.

Front desk staff, however, are rude and smug. Most act like they would rather be doing anything else beside treating guests with any politeness.

Fire alarm went off at 3am one night. False alarm. They did give all guests free breakfast at Sheraton next door to make up for it.

Also, as an SPG Gold member, I was never offered a welcome gift when I checked in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed for one night in this hotel. On arrival all looked well. By 11pm the noise from the person next room became unbearable due to the connecting door. As I was on my own I called reception and asked to move rooms. A very unfriendly receptionist finally after 20 minutes of arguing gave me a new room. It was way past midnight at this time! No recompense was given. The front desk staff rude...never never again!

• Stayed April 2013
Blue Springs, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I came to New York with my two best friends to celebrate my 30th birthday. We choose the Aloft because we wanted we wanted to stay in Brooklyn and this hotel seemed to have the best bathrooms for the best price. (three women need a lot of counter space) It's not cheap, but it's New York City!
There was nothing about the hotel that disappointed us! The rooms were spacious for NYC..good use of space! The beds were very comfortable! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful...from the front desk to the bar to the housekeeping! We slept in late most days, and they always sent someone right up to clean as soon as we'd left for the day. The room was very clean! The bathroom was always clean! I know housekeeping doesn't always get good recognition, but they deserve it here!
My only complaint is that they may want to consider using a different car service. They seem to want to take advantage of unsuspecting tourists. One driver tried to charge us $25 for a 1.8 mile ride. We started using a different service after that.

• Stayed April 2013
Piedmont, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel has nothing at all to do with the Hotel W chain which is owned by Sheraton, one of which adjoins this hotel. Do not be fooled into thinking there is something special going on here. There isn't not much sizzle and no steak
Fire Alarm woke me at 5:00 AM and kept going in various forms for thirty minutes. Interior of my room 808 was average at best. No bathrobe. This is not a family hotel, nor a hotel for seniors. I am not sure I would bring my girlfriend here. Elevator has some kind of high energy music going on 24 hours a day, with some kind of weird floor art that moves when you step on it. Lobby is loud and chaotic. You are better off elsewhere, maybe the Sheraton next door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Jean P, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Hello Montclairian,
Not to be confused with the Sheraton hotel next door. The Aloft Hotel is a “A Vision of W Hotels.” We are known for our hip & energetic crowds as this is a sassy hotel attracting individuals who are looking for a fun & lively experience outside of traditional hotels. The Aloft Brooklyn is known for providing outstanding customer service exemplified by our staff hosting an A-list evening reception for all our wonderful guests awakened by our Safety fire alarm. I’m sorry we did not meet your expectations but thank you for remaining a loyal Starwood member by recommending the Sheraton Hotel next door.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

It's a horrible night to stay in Aloft on New Year's Eve. I traveled a long way to hotel and want to take a sleep, but guess what, there is a party next door. It's sooo noisy and I cannot even stay calm in the room. I asked to change a room, but was told the hotel was full that night, of course. And the building on the other side of the street totally block the view, which is extremely suppressed. I originally booked three nights, but decided to move to another hotel after the first night stay.

Honestly speaking, the room is not bad. Perhaps a little bit small like the other hotel rooms in New York City, but very clean. The bathroom was equipped with Bliss products. Chic design as any other aloft in the country.

Besides, it' s a category 3 hotel in New York City, which means it only cost 7000 points to redeem a night. You could never find a deal like this in the big apple! But when you choose the hotel, be prepared for the less favorable environment around!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jean P, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Hi Josewan1,

One thing about New Year's Eve and New York City is people love to party and they come from all over the world to be at the “Epicenter” of it all. I wish we had a spare room to move you to during your stay but we usually sell out weeks in advance along with 99% of the hotels in New York City. Overall outside of the New Year's Eve party crowd, I'm happy everything else went very well during your stay at the Aloft Brooklyn Hotel.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights over the Easter long-weekend and after a somewhat unhappy start, left quite content of our overall experience. After falling fast asleep on the first night, we were suddenly awoken around midnight by the guests in the neighboring room who we could hear partying through the connecting doors... The hotel staff whom we spoke to was not very sympathetic and shrugged us off, so we ended up sleeping with ear plugs. Fortunately, the front desk staff was more helpful the next day (a special thanks to Barbara!) and we were able to relocate to another very quiet room (without any connecting doors...)

The rooms are small but efficiently layed-out and very clean. As for the location, it proved to be very convenient, within close reach of several subway stations, and not too far from the trendier restaurants and shops of Park Slope. The immediate area is 'up-and-coming', or so it seems, with many construction projects underway.

Room Tip: Beware of connecting doors!