“Nice stay in BK!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 54 Hotels in Brooklyn
Chicago
“Nice stay in BK!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is a nice modern property in a great part of BK.

There are plenty of places to walk to if you want to eat, drink, or see the city lights. I don't think that there are issues with feeling safe, but what do I know...Im a city girl as well.

The rooms are on the small size, and I am not crazy about the bathroom setup (there is a sliding door that seperates the bathroom from the hotel area). However the bed was nice and I dont remember there being any issues with items not functioning properly in the room.

There is a nice rooftop lounge and there was a really nice party while I was there labor day weekend. The bar staff appeared to be accomodating and I had no complaints at all. There is also a nice lobby bar and the bartendar was quite nice.

The lobby also has a morning paper and you can get coffe and tea while chilling out.

I would stay here again and plan to one day soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was our first stay at aloft in Brooklyn and it was a very positive experience. It is close to multiple subway stops and there are a few restaurants in walking distance. The decor was modern and fun. Staff was polite. My one complaint would be the lack of drawer space. There is only hanging space for clothing and not enough for two people.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I always stay here when staying in Brooklyn...FABO!. This place gets better and better every time I visit. The staff are fabulous, bar XYZ that's located in the lobby has awesome drinks, and rooms are very spacious; not like other hotels im New York. The hotel in located right in downtown Brooklyn with many shopping malls that's surrounded. I booked through priceline this time due to last minute planning and recieved and awesome deal and was still treated with same awesome service. Usually hotels treat you different when you book through second or third parties. The hotel is located next to a Brooklyn Night Club. Beds are comfortable with 42in HD tv in rooms. Nice Job Team Once Again. Thanks

Room Tip: Middle floor rooms are the bes(12-16).
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at Aloft for a business trip which was my first time in Brooklyn. The hotel was very clean and had an European feel. The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. My room was cozy (small) but I was aware of this prior to check in. The shower was great and the TV was an nice addition (42" HD). My only complaint was the room temperature. The staff tried to fix it, but I could not get my room cool. Next time I will test the air before unpacking!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Repentigny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at aloft Brooklyn for a long week-end to visit NYC.
We arrive earlier in the morning and our room was not ready so they for free kept our luggages until our room was ready.
The room was clean. Big shower.
In a few minutes from Hoyt metro station and 10 minutes from NYC downtown.
The hotel is near from many boutiques and a big Macy's store.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NY NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at Aloft in the Spring of 2012 to see a show at BAM, which is within easy walking distance of the hotel. It was my first time in downtown Bklyn and I drove to get there. The hotel has valet pkg which was handy and the parking lot is located a half block away, where I picked up the car. The front desk staff at Aloft was efficient but not very warm and fuzzy; The receptionist seemed put off having to give us directions on how to get to BAM on foot. The hotel does not have dinner service so we went next door to the Sheraton where we had a very good steak dinner. The room was designed for a business traveler with desks, plug-ins etc. I was traveling with another woman and we asked for a room with two double beds. The room was spacious and clean. The bathroom area was quite small and cramped and the closet was an open air hanging area. The beds were comfortable and clean. The one thing I really did not care for at all was the lighting in the room--very harsh purple-ish flourescent lighting. In the morning we had breakfast at the take out counter in teh lobby--they offer do it yourself espresso, tea and rolls that are kind of pricey. If you are not in a rush, a walk around the corner to Starbucks would be more satisfying and probably less expensive. Overall, for what we needed the hotel was fine. I returned to downtown Bklyn to see a concert at Barclays Center in December 2012 and chose to stay at the Sheraton next door which I think has nicer rooms than Aloft and a friendlier staff, but no real complaints at all about Aloft.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We (me, my wife and two kids under age 6) stayed here for two nights and had a pleasant experience.

Our room was very clean - a typical Aloft room with a comfortable king bed, trendy but Spartan and everything in working order. The kids loved the shower and I found the soap dispensers very convenient.

We asked for and got a lower floor (7th floor) as I had read other reviews about the noise from the dance floor above. We did not hear a peep in our floor, so I would recommend calling in early, as I did, to get a room on the 10th floor or lower. We heard our neighbors bang their doors shut, but we did not hear people talk, as other reviews state. Maybe we were lucky!

Our view from the room was a construction site - no fancy views of the city skyline so the language on the website may be a bit misleading, but I am assuming most travelers do not stay here to gaze at tall buildings anyway. The reason for our stay was to be close to the city and the hotel is really at the perfect location. At least six major subway lines are within three blocks of the hotel (less than a five minute walk). The parallel street (near one of the Subway stations) is a lively collection of convenience stores, cafes and Mexican fast food joints. We walked back late at night (11 pm) after a Broadway show and felt perfectly at ease with the surroundings. In fact, people here are much nicer than in the main city - they smiled or complimented us on our kids! I hope this clears any doubt in anybody's minds!

I do have a couple of minor complaints - I hope the hotel management reads this:
1. My room was not very well insulated, there was a cold draft coming through the windows and I needed to keep the blinds down and pinned against the wall to make sure the room didn't get too cold.
2. The room heater can get noisy (a bit annoying with the on/off feature); I am not sure if they can really address this problem.
3. The breakfast options were very minimal. They had eggs on the menu, but said they weren't available on both mornings. We had egg whites instead. These a basic needs that are not hard to meet. There is the pricey Sheraton right next door ($20 for a skeleton buffet!) - I wonder if this hotel could have a tie-up with them considering both are Starwood properties.

Overall a splendid stay with no hassles; service was friendly but not the best-in-class. Access to the city/subway cannot be beat. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask for a lower floor below the 10th. Use Jay Street subway, not Hoyt Street - one bl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family