“Clean Hotel, Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #18 of 50 hotels in Brooklyn
NY NY
“Clean Hotel, Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at Aloft in the Spring of 2012 to see a show at BAM, which is within easy walking distance of the hotel. It was my first time in downtown Bklyn and I drove to get there. The hotel has valet pkg which was handy and the parking lot is located a half block away, where I picked up the car. The front desk staff at Aloft was efficient but not very warm and fuzzy; The receptionist seemed put off having to give us directions on how to get to BAM on foot. The hotel does not have dinner service so we went next door to the Sheraton where we had a very good steak dinner. The room was designed for a business traveler with desks, plug-ins etc. I was traveling with another woman and we asked for a room with two double beds. The room was spacious and clean. The bathroom area was quite small and cramped and the closet was an open air hanging area. The beds were comfortable and clean. The one thing I really did not care for at all was the lighting in the room--very harsh purple-ish flourescent lighting. In the morning we had breakfast at the take out counter in teh lobby--they offer do it yourself espresso, tea and rolls that are kind of pricey. If you are not in a rush, a walk around the corner to Starbucks would be more satisfying and probably less expensive. Overall, for what we needed the hotel was fine. I returned to downtown Bklyn to see a concert at Barclays Center in December 2012 and chose to stay at the Sheraton next door which I think has nicer rooms than Aloft and a friendlier staff, but no real complaints at all about Aloft.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

482 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We (me, my wife and two kids under age 6) stayed here for two nights and had a pleasant experience.

Our room was very clean - a typical Aloft room with a comfortable king bed, trendy but Spartan and everything in working order. The kids loved the shower and I found the soap dispensers very convenient.

We asked for and got a lower floor (7th floor) as I had read other reviews about the noise from the dance floor above. We did not hear a peep in our floor, so I would recommend calling in early, as I did, to get a room on the 10th floor or lower. We heard our neighbors bang their doors shut, but we did not hear people talk, as other reviews state. Maybe we were lucky!

Our view from the room was a construction site - no fancy views of the city skyline so the language on the website may be a bit misleading, but I am assuming most travelers do not stay here to gaze at tall buildings anyway. The reason for our stay was to be close to the city and the hotel is really at the perfect location. At least six major subway lines are within three blocks of the hotel (less than a five minute walk). The parallel street (near one of the Subway stations) is a lively collection of convenience stores, cafes and Mexican fast food joints. We walked back late at night (11 pm) after a Broadway show and felt perfectly at ease with the surroundings. In fact, people here are much nicer than in the main city - they smiled or complimented us on our kids! I hope this clears any doubt in anybody's minds!

I do have a couple of minor complaints - I hope the hotel management reads this:
1. My room was not very well insulated, there was a cold draft coming through the windows and I needed to keep the blinds down and pinned against the wall to make sure the room didn't get too cold.
2. The room heater can get noisy (a bit annoying with the on/off feature); I am not sure if they can really address this problem.
3. The breakfast options were very minimal. They had eggs on the menu, but said they weren't available on both mornings. We had egg whites instead. These a basic needs that are not hard to meet. There is the pricey Sheraton right next door ($20 for a skeleton buffet!) - I wonder if this hotel could have a tie-up with them considering both are Starwood properties.

Overall a splendid stay with no hassles; service was friendly but not the best-in-class. Access to the city/subway cannot be beat. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask for a lower floor below the 10th. Use Jay Street subway, not Hoyt Street - one bl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night while renovations were being done to my apartment, so I actually live in Brooklyn. The reviewers who say that this neighborhood is "sketchy" or seemed "unsafe" are either racist or have just never seen an industrial area. Downtown Brooklyn is completely safe and three blocks from amazing restaurants, cafes, shops, bars, nightlife and entertainment. One subway stop away from Manhattan!

Lindsay checked me in and was very helpful. The room was bigger than most Manhattan rooms I've seen and the layout was great. The bed was INCREDIBLE. I barely laid down before I started drifting off.

Free water, free coffee, free internet is always a huge plus. Most importantly- the price is right for this hotel.

Room service was fine, and not exorbitantly priced.

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Todd B,

Thank you so much for such a nice review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that if you stay in your neighborhood again or invite guests to Brooklyn, you'll make our hotel your choice for your next accommodations. Always glad to hear from our local neighbors too. You're right too, our rooms here are typically bigger then those in Manhattan. Much more leg room to spread out and enjoy ones stay.

Best of a great New Year to you and yours!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Although our travel company had only arranged one room instead of the booked two, the hotel staff did their best to help us by contacting the travel company on our behalf. Once our initial problems had been resolved, we found the hotel to be friendly with a relaxed and informal style. The rooms were clean and to a good standard with excellent access to the subways to travel across to Manhattan in next to no time.

Had a great stay, hope to go back again. Would recommend

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear Carol H,

Happy Holidays and thank you for such a great review. I'm thrilled the saff was able to get your room issue resolved to your satisfaction and even more so that you enjoyed our hotel and your stay.

Have a great holiday season and we look forward hosting your next stay with us when your travels take you back to Brooklyn again.

Best Regards,
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

First let me start this review by saying thatI am in a hotel room at least 250 days a year as part of my job. Seldom, do I write a review of a hotel negative or otherwise. For me to take time out of my busy scheduke to sit in yet another hotel room, in order to review the one I just checked out of, should say something.

This property is from a facility stand point great, it is fairly new and like ALL Aloft properties hip and cool. That is where the glowing review will end and the ONLY reason it gets two stars, for alas, a building does not a quality hotel make!!!

My first and lasting impression of this property began with the check in process. My room type was not available, the desk clerk requested ID and credit card for a room that was PRE-PAID with the credit card authorization and images pre-faxed to the property. I explained that the CCA indicates room and tax plus incidentals and she still insisted on a card. After involving another clerk, the situation was resolved.

In fairness, the initial clerk seemed new and I was willing to overlook the screw up without protestation or a short attitude on my part.

The following morning, I needed a fax cover sheet in order to fax an important document. I approach the desk, both clerks on the phone, I patiently wait. BOTH CLERKS SEE ME STANDING THERE AND BOTH MAKE EYE CONTACT. In the meantime, another person walks up to the desk and in typical NYC I am more importsnt than you are fashion proceedes to jump ahead of me. Desk clerk one, hangs up the phone and helps the idiot that jump in front of me KNOWING THAT I HAD BEEN STANDING THERE WAITING FOR SERVICE. Again, I try to overlook.

At this point, I finally am ask if I may be helped. I explain that I need to FAX something and ask if they have a cover sheet. The clerk tells me no they do not, and tells me that I can find a piece of plain paper in the printer in the business center. Astonished and scratching my head because a plain peice of paper could have easily been provided from the printer at the front desk.

I return to the business center and do a FAX cover in Word so that I do not look unprofessional in thr eyes of my client. I return to the front desk and the exact same situation occurs. Both clerks on the phone, two groups walk up AFTEF ME one to check in and one to check out AND BOTH ARE SERVED BEFORE ME.

At this point needless to say I am not a happy camper and it becomes evident. I thank thr clerk for ignoring me, to which he say's "I did not see you sir" which truly astounds me , considering I stand 6 foot 5 inches and weigh 260 pounds with a shaved head... kind of hard to be incognito!!!

Finally getting my documents faxed I go to my room, to experience the lovely sound of the housekeeping staff letting thd doors slam EACH AND EVERY TIME they entered and exited a room. For those of you that are clueless to hoe annoying this is, I want to thank you for your rudeness. If you do not spend ad much time in a hotel like I do, I can forgive you. However, for the staff to do this is completely unacceptable as they should know better and I KNOW for a fact it violates Starwood policy.

I will sum up with what really caused me to write this review. After checking out this morning I reslizd that I left the power cord for my tablet in the room. I have called the hotel THREE times to rewuest they locate it, and provide them with my FedEx number. All three times the phone rang and rsng and when picked up I was immediately placed on hold, where the phone ead never picked up again. This happened repestedly and I have resigned myself to the fact that I will just be buying another cord.

My overall impression is VERY POOR AND LIKEWISE POORLY MANAGED. Someone in charge should realize that when t he lines are long at the desk, they should come out of the comfort of thier office and lend a hand to TAKE CARE OF THE GUEST'S.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at the Aloft this weekend, and it was overall a very positive experience. The room was small and lightly furnished, but clean and functional. They provide free water, which in NYC is remarkable. Our only complaint about the room was the noisy heat/AC/ventilation unit. It woke me up a few times overnight. There seemed to be no easy way to control it.

The amenities are limited---no real restaurant, but breakfast foods and snacks are sold in the lobby, which was fine with us since most hotel restaurants rip you off for breakfast (e.g., at the Sheraton, which is right next door). Service was very pleasant. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Karl B, Regional Director of Sales at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Amy C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay. We hope you had a great time while visiting us here in Brooklyn. I just wanted to let you know we really appreciate the positive comments about our hotel and to say thank you for your business.

Hoping you have a great holiday season and a bright new year!

Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Where do I start? Well.. I book a lot of hotels using priceline for one night on 11/30-12/1 . I booked this one with priceline as well. The hotel does not offer breakfast or parking as opposed to many other hotels in the Brooklyn area. I found better options and I contacted the hotel to see what the cancellation policy was. I was told it was 48 hours. I was out of that 48 hours, so I contacted priceline to have it cancelled. When priceline contacted the hotel, they were told that third party sites (expedia, priceline, etc) have a 72 hour cancellation policy, so since I was outside the 48 hours, but inside the 72 hours, it could not be cancelled.
I really don't undestand why guests are treated different just based on where they book their reservation. I had the idea that treating people different was something from the past... it still happens.

I had no other choice but to stay there. I contacted the hotel the morning of my check in to arrange for 2 beds since I was traveling with a family member. I was told there was a $20 charge for getting 2 beds. I have stayed at other hotels in New York including Manhattan and at well known hotel chains and have never experienced a problem or charge when asking for 2 beds.
I wanted to speak to a manager. The manager never picked up the phone, but the front desk agent told me it was going to be waived.

We checked in around 8pm. I was given a room on the 21st floor. When the elevator doors opened, the music was so loud. I walked in the room, put my bag down. I could hear everything that the person next door was talking, and like many other reviews, just a normal conversation can be heard from the room next door clearly. There is no sense of privacy at all.
I went outside, asked an employee about the music. I was told it was until 2am. Went inmediately downstairs to request another room. I don't know how someone could be ok with a room up there with the music so loud. I'm young and I do enjoy partying, but sometimes you just want to get some rest. I'm a manager in the customer service industry as well... I dont know who wouldn't mind that music until 2am. I believe the hotel is loosing revenue from at least 4 or 5 floors of rooms. Don't forget those walls are paper thin.

I got a new room with no problems on the 13th floor. Again another room where I even heard the guy next door sneeze. It was room 1301 or 1303. It did face the back of the hotel.
I was up by 6 am after going to sleep well pass midnight. I could hear everything on the TV from the person next door. He had ESPN on and at normal volume. He made a call on his phone and kept sneezing. Then at 7am, a hydraulic hammer from the construction next door. What a nightmare.
I booked this hotel trying to stay away from Manhattan and the crow, but it was actually worst. I got no rest at all. Instead of enjoying the trip, it was one of those times that you can't wait to get home. There is no privacy in the rooms at all. Upon reading some reviews here, I realized all double rooms are connecting rooms. That is a huge problem!!!!!

Now parking. Another nightmare. Vic's has a monopoly over parking. Again, look for other options in Brooklyn. There are many hotels with complimentary breakfast and parking. Parking here was $25 for self and $39 for valet. Please realize that Brooklyn is not Manhattan!
I asked the front desk where else I could park. Good luck if you get an answer. They don't even provide any other ideas or suggestions other than Vic's. I did refuse to park with Vic's. They have a monopoly there at night since they are of the of the few open and maybe the closest to the hotel. You still have to walk about 2 blocks to get to their lot. I checked the signs on the street and park on the street for free. Just keep an eye on which side you can park on for that night. As long as you pick your car up before 9am, you dont have to pay.
The hotel should have options for guests, not just Vic's. There are plenty of lots around.

The hotel itself looks nice. The rooms are very small, but ok. Everything has been designed properly. I did not encounter any big issues with service, other than the front desk agent refusing to offer any other ideas for parking. Now, if you want to get some rest, this is really NOT the place for you. The privacy at all and construction noise since 7am. There are other options in Brooklyn with breakfast and parking included.

I noticed management have answered to some reviews.. I really don't see what they have done for customers with bad experiences.. but it is what it is. From my end, I think I'm entitled to at least a refund for half of what I paid for my stay. I think I deserved it after having such a bad experience and getting no rest at all because of the paper thin dividers between rooms. (I wouldn't call that a wall)
Management should also come up with solutions to address the privacy and noise issues between rooms. It will make stays a lot better for guests.

By the way, I emailed the hotel directly over a week ago and still haven't heard from anybody. At least at my company, we follow up with guests.....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear DV V,

I wanted to reach out to you and first of all thank you for your comments regarding you stay with us here at the Aloft Hotel in Brooklyn. Comments from guests, both good and bad, are always shared with the staff and management so they know how to better serve our guests. I must apologize though as I can see your stay was not what you thought is was going to be.

Our cancellation policy is 48 hours and I don't understand why Priceline would tell you its 72. I will be contacting them to find out what the communication error is. There also appears to be many other aspects of the hotel you didn't like and I apologize for all of those areas.

We understand that our hotel is not the typical NYC hotel and cater to the young and young at heart, this explains our music, food selection and decor. We do however offer breakfast at the hotel and unlike a few other hotels, it is not complimentary. Our location also prohibits us from offering complimentary parking, but we do offer self and valet parking through Vics Parking around the corner from the hotel.

Again, please accept my apologies for your experience at our hotel. I will be sharing your comments with the manager and staff this week.

Hoping you have a great holliday and a wonderful new year.

Best Regards,
Karl

Been to aloft New York Brooklyn? Share your experiences!