“Restful experience, very nice room, good staff and unpretentious.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of aloft New York Brooklyn

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #18 of 50 hotels in Brooklyn
Brooklyn
“Restful experience, very nice room, good staff and unpretentious.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night while renovations were being done to my apartment, so I actually live in Brooklyn. The reviewers who say that this neighborhood is "sketchy" or seemed "unsafe" are either racist or have just never seen an industrial area. Downtown Brooklyn is completely safe and three blocks from amazing restaurants, cafes, shops, bars, nightlife and entertainment. One subway stop away from Manhattan!

Lindsay checked me in and was very helpful. The room was bigger than most Manhattan rooms I've seen and the layout was great. The bed was INCREDIBLE. I barely laid down before I started drifting off.

Free water, free coffee, free internet is always a huge plus. Most importantly- the price is right for this hotel.

Room service was fine, and not exorbitantly priced.

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Todd B,

Thank you so much for such a nice review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that if you stay in your neighborhood again or invite guests to Brooklyn, you'll make our hotel your choice for your next accommodations. Always glad to hear from our local neighbors too. You're right too, our rooms here are typically bigger then those in Manhattan. Much more leg room to spread out and enjoy ones stay.

Best of a great New Year to you and yours!

509 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Czech first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Although our travel company had only arranged one room instead of the booked two, the hotel staff did their best to help us by contacting the travel company on our behalf. Once our initial problems had been resolved, we found the hotel to be friendly with a relaxed and informal style. The rooms were clean and to a good standard with excellent access to the subways to travel across to Manhattan in next to no time.

Had a great stay, hope to go back again. Would recommend

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear Carol H,

Happy Holidays and thank you for such a great review. I'm thrilled the saff was able to get your room issue resolved to your satisfaction and even more so that you enjoyed our hotel and your stay.

Have a great holiday season and we look forward hosting your next stay with us when your travels take you back to Brooklyn again.

Best Regards,
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

First let me start this review by saying thatI am in a hotel room at least 250 days a year as part of my job. Seldom, do I write a review of a hotel negative or otherwise. For me to take time out of my busy scheduke to sit in yet another hotel room, in order to review the one I just checked out of, should say something.

This property is from a facility stand point great, it is fairly new and like ALL Aloft properties hip and cool. That is where the glowing review will end and the ONLY reason it gets two stars, for alas, a building does not a quality hotel make!!!

My first and lasting impression of this property began with the check in process. My room type was not available, the desk clerk requested ID and credit card for a room that was PRE-PAID with the credit card authorization and images pre-faxed to the property. I explained that the CCA indicates room and tax plus incidentals and she still insisted on a card. After involving another clerk, the situation was resolved.

In fairness, the initial clerk seemed new and I was willing to overlook the screw up without protestation or a short attitude on my part.

The following morning, I needed a fax cover sheet in order to fax an important document. I approach the desk, both clerks on the phone, I patiently wait. BOTH CLERKS SEE ME STANDING THERE AND BOTH MAKE EYE CONTACT. In the meantime, another person walks up to the desk and in typical NYC I am more importsnt than you are fashion proceedes to jump ahead of me. Desk clerk one, hangs up the phone and helps the idiot that jump in front of me KNOWING THAT I HAD BEEN STANDING THERE WAITING FOR SERVICE. Again, I try to overlook.

At this point, I finally am ask if I may be helped. I explain that I need to FAX something and ask if they have a cover sheet. The clerk tells me no they do not, and tells me that I can find a piece of plain paper in the printer in the business center. Astonished and scratching my head because a plain peice of paper could have easily been provided from the printer at the front desk.

I return to the business center and do a FAX cover in Word so that I do not look unprofessional in thr eyes of my client. I return to the front desk and the exact same situation occurs. Both clerks on the phone, two groups walk up AFTEF ME one to check in and one to check out AND BOTH ARE SERVED BEFORE ME.

At this point needless to say I am not a happy camper and it becomes evident. I thank thr clerk for ignoring me, to which he say's "I did not see you sir" which truly astounds me , considering I stand 6 foot 5 inches and weigh 260 pounds with a shaved head... kind of hard to be incognito!!!

Finally getting my documents faxed I go to my room, to experience the lovely sound of the housekeeping staff letting thd doors slam EACH AND EVERY TIME they entered and exited a room. For those of you that are clueless to hoe annoying this is, I want to thank you for your rudeness. If you do not spend ad much time in a hotel like I do, I can forgive you. However, for the staff to do this is completely unacceptable as they should know better and I KNOW for a fact it violates Starwood policy.

I will sum up with what really caused me to write this review. After checking out this morning I reslizd that I left the power cord for my tablet in the room. I have called the hotel THREE times to rewuest they locate it, and provide them with my FedEx number. All three times the phone rang and rsng and when picked up I was immediately placed on hold, where the phone ead never picked up again. This happened repestedly and I have resigned myself to the fact that I will just be buying another cord.

My overall impression is VERY POOR AND LIKEWISE POORLY MANAGED. Someone in charge should realize that when t he lines are long at the desk, they should come out of the comfort of thier office and lend a hand to TAKE CARE OF THE GUEST'S.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at the Aloft this weekend, and it was overall a very positive experience. The room was small and lightly furnished, but clean and functional. They provide free water, which in NYC is remarkable. Our only complaint about the room was the noisy heat/AC/ventilation unit. It woke me up a few times overnight. There seemed to be no easy way to control it.

The amenities are limited---no real restaurant, but breakfast foods and snacks are sold in the lobby, which was fine with us since most hotel restaurants rip you off for breakfast (e.g., at the Sheraton, which is right next door). Service was very pleasant. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Karl B, Regional Director of Sales at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Amy C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay. We hope you had a great time while visiting us here in Brooklyn. I just wanted to let you know we really appreciate the positive comments about our hotel and to say thank you for your business.

Hoping you have a great holiday season and a bright new year!

Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Where do I start? Well.. I book a lot of hotels using priceline for one night on 11/30-12/1 . I booked this one with priceline as well. The hotel does not offer breakfast or parking as opposed to many other hotels in the Brooklyn area. I found better options and I contacted the hotel to see what the cancellation policy was. I was told it was 48 hours. I was out of that 48 hours, so I contacted priceline to have it cancelled. When priceline contacted the hotel, they were told that third party sites (expedia, priceline, etc) have a 72 hour cancellation policy, so since I was outside the 48 hours, but inside the 72 hours, it could not be cancelled.
I really don't undestand why guests are treated different just based on where they book their reservation. I had the idea that treating people different was something from the past... it still happens.

I had no other choice but to stay there. I contacted the hotel the morning of my check in to arrange for 2 beds since I was traveling with a family member. I was told there was a $20 charge for getting 2 beds. I have stayed at other hotels in New York including Manhattan and at well known hotel chains and have never experienced a problem or charge when asking for 2 beds.
I wanted to speak to a manager. The manager never picked up the phone, but the front desk agent told me it was going to be waived.

We checked in around 8pm. I was given a room on the 21st floor. When the elevator doors opened, the music was so loud. I walked in the room, put my bag down. I could hear everything that the person next door was talking, and like many other reviews, just a normal conversation can be heard from the room next door clearly. There is no sense of privacy at all.
I went outside, asked an employee about the music. I was told it was until 2am. Went inmediately downstairs to request another room. I don't know how someone could be ok with a room up there with the music so loud. I'm young and I do enjoy partying, but sometimes you just want to get some rest. I'm a manager in the customer service industry as well... I dont know who wouldn't mind that music until 2am. I believe the hotel is loosing revenue from at least 4 or 5 floors of rooms. Don't forget those walls are paper thin.

I got a new room with no problems on the 13th floor. Again another room where I even heard the guy next door sneeze. It was room 1301 or 1303. It did face the back of the hotel.
I was up by 6 am after going to sleep well pass midnight. I could hear everything on the TV from the person next door. He had ESPN on and at normal volume. He made a call on his phone and kept sneezing. Then at 7am, a hydraulic hammer from the construction next door. What a nightmare.
I booked this hotel trying to stay away from Manhattan and the crow, but it was actually worst. I got no rest at all. Instead of enjoying the trip, it was one of those times that you can't wait to get home. There is no privacy in the rooms at all. Upon reading some reviews here, I realized all double rooms are connecting rooms. That is a huge problem!!!!!

Now parking. Another nightmare. Vic's has a monopoly over parking. Again, look for other options in Brooklyn. There are many hotels with complimentary breakfast and parking. Parking here was $25 for self and $39 for valet. Please realize that Brooklyn is not Manhattan!
I asked the front desk where else I could park. Good luck if you get an answer. They don't even provide any other ideas or suggestions other than Vic's. I did refuse to park with Vic's. They have a monopoly there at night since they are of the of the few open and maybe the closest to the hotel. You still have to walk about 2 blocks to get to their lot. I checked the signs on the street and park on the street for free. Just keep an eye on which side you can park on for that night. As long as you pick your car up before 9am, you dont have to pay.
The hotel should have options for guests, not just Vic's. There are plenty of lots around.

The hotel itself looks nice. The rooms are very small, but ok. Everything has been designed properly. I did not encounter any big issues with service, other than the front desk agent refusing to offer any other ideas for parking. Now, if you want to get some rest, this is really NOT the place for you. The privacy at all and construction noise since 7am. There are other options in Brooklyn with breakfast and parking included.

I noticed management have answered to some reviews.. I really don't see what they have done for customers with bad experiences.. but it is what it is. From my end, I think I'm entitled to at least a refund for half of what I paid for my stay. I think I deserved it after having such a bad experience and getting no rest at all because of the paper thin dividers between rooms. (I wouldn't call that a wall)
Management should also come up with solutions to address the privacy and noise issues between rooms. It will make stays a lot better for guests.

By the way, I emailed the hotel directly over a week ago and still haven't heard from anybody. At least at my company, we follow up with guests.....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear DV V,

I wanted to reach out to you and first of all thank you for your comments regarding you stay with us here at the Aloft Hotel in Brooklyn. Comments from guests, both good and bad, are always shared with the staff and management so they know how to better serve our guests. I must apologize though as I can see your stay was not what you thought is was going to be.

Our cancellation policy is 48 hours and I don't understand why Priceline would tell you its 72. I will be contacting them to find out what the communication error is. There also appears to be many other aspects of the hotel you didn't like and I apologize for all of those areas.

We understand that our hotel is not the typical NYC hotel and cater to the young and young at heart, this explains our music, food selection and decor. We do however offer breakfast at the hotel and unlike a few other hotels, it is not complimentary. Our location also prohibits us from offering complimentary parking, but we do offer self and valet parking through Vics Parking around the corner from the hotel.

Again, please accept my apologies for your experience at our hotel. I will be sharing your comments with the manager and staff this week.

Hoping you have a great holliday and a wonderful new year.

Best Regards,
orlando, fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I was a bit apprehensive to stay at this hotel based on other reviews, but we had a good experience. I am a Starwood Good member and I am usually more a fan of the W and Westin, but I found this hotel to fit the bill. I was able to utilize points so the stay was free and I was able to ck in early and check out late which was helpful. I want to recognize Lauren at the front desk she was very helpful acclimating us to the area etc. She also had a great bubbly personality which I enjoyed. The rooms were very clean and we requested a low floor to keep noise to a minimum based on other reviews. It was nice having free bottled water daily and the snack area was great to grab something to go ( nice breakfast sandwich for $5.50)
The location is close to 2 subway lines (red2/3 and express q) which made travel to city easy. Catching a cab was challenging not as easy as we were told on Fulton. Area isn't sketchy at all but subway kinda is.
I still prefer stating in Manhattan but for travelers on budget it's a great stay with very comfortable beds. Again, thanks Lauren

• Stayed December 2012
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear firelax10,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment in tripadvisor. We really do value all guest comments and appreciate your business. It was great to hear you mentioned Lauren, our front desk manager. She truely is an asset to the hotel and will be thrilled you mentioned her name. We hope that in the future you will make our hotel your choice for lodging again. Best wished for a great holiday season and a very happy New Year.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

1.) This is a great NYC hotel. Trendy, well-located, pretty, convenient. The décor ….. well, it is like living in the love child of an IKEA and a west elm. I loved it (I so want one of those giant white swivel chairs from the lobby!), and it all felt very clean and well-maintained. The rooms are compact but cleverly designed, and I always felt like there was enough space and never had a problem with noise. And the pillows were AWESOME. The bar in the lobby is nice, and the breakfast spread is great - DELICIOUS bagels, great lattes, and muffins that are *killer* (and I don't even like muffins). Tip: if you go green and skip on housekeeping, you get a voucher that will cover breakfast (or you get 500 Starwood points).

2.) I loved the location. Right over the Brooklyn Bridge, central to everything via Subway, in a little bustling neighborhood that is busy during the day, quiet at night, and yet still only 10 minutes from the adorableness of Smith Street. (Yes, I saw some reviews saying that they didn't feel 100% safe... and I'm wondering if those people have never before been to a real, actual city, or if they are just straight up crazy?) I never once even felt unsafe; it's a great neighborhood with tons of friendly people. A little quiet at night, sure, but that meant better sleep and it was never ever “frightening.”

3.) DYLAN!!!! The staff at this hotel is generally pretty ok, but Dylan was a customer service standout of a lifetime - he is PHENOMENAL. Ultra friendly, MASSIVELY competent, super helpful - he extended rooms, handled our billing, arranged for birthday surprises for my coworker (and also helped her escape from some overeager birthday well-wishers at the bar later!), knew where to get ANYTHING, greeted us in the morning, made us laugh, took an interest in us, remembers everyone's name, and was generally was the highlight of the hotel. (Also, he is that chipper despite still being in school full-time... I don't know where he gets the energy!) I’d love it if he could just follow me around and make life better. Give that man a giant raise and a gold star, Aloft - he is amazing.

Recap: Great hotel but staff made the difference. Will come back just for Dylan.

Room Tip: Ask for the river view!