“Nice hotel - but staff (Dylan!!) makes the difference” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice hotel - but staff (Dylan!!) makes the difference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

1.) This is a great NYC hotel. Trendy, well-located, pretty, convenient. The décor ….. well, it is like living in the love child of an IKEA and a west elm. I loved it (I so want one of those giant white swivel chairs from the lobby!), and it all felt very clean and well-maintained. The rooms are compact but cleverly designed, and I always felt like there was enough space and never had a problem with noise. And the pillows were AWESOME. The bar in the lobby is nice, and the breakfast spread is great - DELICIOUS bagels, great lattes, and muffins that are *killer* (and I don't even like muffins). Tip: if you go green and skip on housekeeping, you get a voucher that will cover breakfast (or you get 500 Starwood points).

2.) I loved the location. Right over the Brooklyn Bridge, central to everything via Subway, in a little bustling neighborhood that is busy during the day, quiet at night, and yet still only 10 minutes from the adorableness of Smith Street. (Yes, I saw some reviews saying that they didn't feel 100% safe... and I'm wondering if those people have never before been to a real, actual city, or if they are just straight up crazy?) I never once even felt unsafe; it's a great neighborhood with tons of friendly people. A little quiet at night, sure, but that meant better sleep and it was never ever “frightening.”

3.) DYLAN!!!! The staff at this hotel is generally pretty ok, but Dylan was a customer service standout of a lifetime - he is PHENOMENAL. Ultra friendly, MASSIVELY competent, super helpful - he extended rooms, handled our billing, arranged for birthday surprises for my coworker (and also helped her escape from some overeager birthday well-wishers at the bar later!), knew where to get ANYTHING, greeted us in the morning, made us laugh, took an interest in us, remembers everyone's name, and was generally was the highlight of the hotel. (Also, he is that chipper despite still being in school full-time... I don't know where he gets the energy!) I’d love it if he could just follow me around and make life better. Give that man a giant raise and a gold star, Aloft - he is amazing.

Recap: Great hotel but staff made the difference. Will come back just for Dylan.

Room Tip: Ask for the river view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear kdianb,

What a fantastic review! Thank you so much for the kind words on our hotel and about your stay. Most of all, thank you for mentioning Dylan. He is fantastic at what he does and truely, your words show that. This could very well be why he made Employee of the Year this year.

I'm thrilled you had a great stay and appreciate the great review you gave us. The staff here really cares and when they are able to see reviews lilke yours, it truely does motivate them to excell.

Thanks again for your time and your business. Here's hoping you have a wonderful holiday season and the best of a New Year!

Karl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I dont want to go into too much detail about the issue, it is really the way my issue was handled. Service? Everyone that works here acts as if the guests are a complete nuance and that we should be calling the dry cleaner that they outsource or making our own reservations, checking in our rooms, you name it....which is exactly how i felt. read the other reviews, almost all of them say "its a nice room, good price, but service stinks"

Trust us....service stinks. Try these options: Hotel Indigo / Marriott Brooklyn or even the one right next door.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear jmrecchi,

Please accept my deepest apologies for your most recent stay with us. I'm actually beside myself to read such a negative review pertaining to the service our staff offers. No matter how you booked your room or who you booked it through, all of our guests should be treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. It's very apparent by your review we failed in that respect.

Please know that I will be checking in to your experience you had and working with the General Manager and desk staff to find out what went wrong. While the staff always loves a great review in tripadvisor, we also understand that we learn from our mistakes allowing us to better train staff to render better service.

I must state that our area of Downtown Brooklyn is going through a massive renovation project and fresh new buildings are coming up in the neighborhood. Directly behind our hotel, while you were here, were the remains of an older building being removed. I do truely apologize for the experience you had. A new Brooklyn is spring up around us and exciting things in the neighborhood are happening.

Again, please accept my apology on your experience here and trust I will be investigating.

Best Regards and wishing you and yours a happy and healthy 2013! I do hope you will give us a try again if your travels take you this direction.

Goode, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband booked ( Expedia) a king room with view for our getaway in NYC/Brooklyn. See the pic for full effect of VIEW! The view was so unpleasant that we closed the cheap vinyl blinds (that kept coming off track) which made the small room feel like a cave. To speak to apathetic staff, you must wait and wait in a queue that makes no sense. Immediately the hotel staff I spoke with placed the blame on expedia for the wrong booking. She offered no joy. No resolution. No apologies. No refund. Never once offered to put us in another room. My husband, with all the paperwork showing what we paid for, went to the same front desk staff a second time to ask for help. The blame was pushed back on to expedia, and the staff offered no remedy. The hotel says expedia is at fault we didn't get the room we paid for and offered no help in resolving..and an expedia representative says it is the hotel's fault and will do nothing to resolve. In order that equity be met, I did appreciated the rooms had recycling bins. Cool green thing to do. Room service food is provided by the hotel next door, so food is brought to the room in reusable or recyclable packaging. In the shower, shampoo and soap dispensers eliminate gazillions of wee little plastic bottles. Another nice green touch. Bed linens, duvet, and towels were good and clean. Rare for a hotel experience, especially when your room is near both the elevator and the stairs, that noise was not an issue. The room was small but cleverly designed and the bathroom area quite well designed. BUT, no room, anywhere, is worth the horrid treatment, wretched view and staff that laugh and smirk rather than providing assistance. Never again, Aloft.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Our first time at an Aloft hotel - although we did stay at a few more over the course of this trip. All Aloft hotels are identical using the same cookie cutter design - very small rooms but functional and which allows them to keep rates down in a very expensive city to find decent accommodation. The Aloft in Brooklyn is in an OK neighbourhood - close to a three different subway lines and close to the tkts outlet in Brooklyn. Not sure how safe it it in the evening - got home one night and the streets were pretty much abandoned, two cops were patrolling and we didnt feel 100% safe in a very ethnic diverse neighbourhood. Nevertheless, once we found our bearings we managed to navigate our way quickly back to the hotel from any of the three subway stops

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JCJT,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a tripadvisor review on our hotel. This area of Brooklyn is experiencing an amazing transformation with new buildings being built, fantastic commercial areas including the Barclay Center opening and a great influx of residential complexes and retail facilities.

It seems that we didn't WOW you during your stay and I apologize for that. It's our intention for every guest to walk through our doors and have an amazing experience each and every time. I do hope that if your travels take you into the Brooklyn area again, you will stay with us.

Many great things are happening in Brooklyn right now and we'd love to show you what we're really made of here.

Have a great holiday season and a fantastic new year to you and yours.

Palma de Mallorca, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The rooms are nice, but there is no view, so don't bother opening the window. Wifi in the rooms is spotty, but there are free computers in the lobby. Rooms have modern furnishings and comfortable beds. There are a few restaurants and shops in walking distance, but Fulton Mall is far from upscale...a little shady late at night.

We booked a room block here for our wedding in October. The sales office must have changed direction 10 times over the course of 6 months, so getting answers to questions was near impossible as we worked on planning. The weekend of our event there were at least 2 other wedding parties in the hotel, so staff used that as the excuse to delay or deny services....such as allowing bridesmaids to come upstairs! They did loan us a large mirror and a barstool for hair and makeup.

For now, I guess this is the best in the neighborhood, but I think lots of people are hoping the Barclays center and new businesses will also bring hotel competition and alternatives.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear lesley012,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and your experience in tripadvisor.com. We always appreciate the great comments as well as the negative comments. Both good and bad, we learn from and are able to train our staff to better accommodate our guests.

I do apologize for the spotty internet service you experienced during your stay. I'm hoping you were able to get on line and what you needed with little difficulty. I'm also going to be getting with the desk and management staff as to why a wedding party member was not allowed up stairs. This could have been due to security, but a quick call to the guests room would have resolved that. Please do accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your comments and I would like to wish you a very happy holiday and a wonderful new year for 2013!

Best Regards,
Plano, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Aloft for 5 nights during Thanksgiving week. The location was good, we have 2 children living in Brooklyn and it was close to the subways to get to either of them. There are subway stations within short walking distance to the hotel for a lot of different subways. We found some decent restaurants within a short walk from the hotel. Our room was a decent size for NYC, comfortable king bed , nice flat screen TV , and decent sized bathroom and shower. You could hear neighbors, the walls seemed thin. The first night it was a family trying to get their kids to sleep, we could hear them quite well. The next night someone had a dog. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay. A couple nights we chose to conserve, and did not have our room cleaned, but that meant our coffee/ tea was not replenished. Perhaps that could be made available. The room has a small fridge, I would like a microwave for tea, it would fit in to the dressing are. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DonahueA,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your business and also for taking the time to write your comments about our hotel and your experience. Thank you for pointing out that we are near several of the major subway lines leading into Manhattan and to other parts in Brooklyn. We like to think we do have a great location.

I would like to apologize for any noise you experienced your first few nights. Hopefully if your travels take your to the Brooklyn area again, you will give us another try. We always love it when we get repeat guests, we can show them all the progress we have made and how this area of the city is having many exciting things happen.

Best of a holiday season to you and your family and hoping you have a bright new year.

Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in order to avoid the high rates in Manhattan due to the election day. It was our second experience in Brooklyn (we really like staying in Brooklyn, the location is not a problem at all), and once more, we were disappointed.
Front desk has a very young staff (nothing against it), and once we arrived all packed up from Toronto, we heard we should wait a bit in order to check in.
I specifically asked for a quiet room, high floor, away from the elevators. The person in charge said I would get exactly that, but I'd rather wait instead of promptly checking in.
So here we go, into Manhattan to spend some time (they kept our luggage), and once we arrived back (different staff this time), I'm checked in a room in a high floor (11 th if I'm not mistaken), but guess what? Almost in front of the elevators, with an adjoining door (exactly the opposite from what I asked!!)
So, I had to go back to front desk to ask for another room, and their "standard" answer is: 'we're fully booked" ( found that later). Why make me wait, then?
So when I reminded the guy at front desk about the first room that they had in mind for me, out of a sudden, this room seems to be available! Really?
Although the room was clean, well appointed and yes, pretty small, the problem with checking in would be OK if not for our second nightmare: the AC unit.
It's extremely, extremely noisy!! It keeps turning on and off all the time, so be prepared to sleep like hell or to simply turn the unit off (we had to keep with the second option).
The first night we found it extremely hard to sleep and called maintenance. The guy showed up after quite some time, in a very bad humor, and gave us the standard answer: I'm sorry, we're fully booked, and hopefully, you'll eventually sleep, even with the noise (very professional!)
Of course we couldn't sleep well, and in the morning another guy from maintenance showed up in told us that yes, the unit is noisy, and yes, it keeps turning on and off to save energy. His advice: keep it turned off (as ridiculous as it might sound, considering the cold outside, at least he was sincere!).
To complete the stay from hell, in our last night we had a false fire alarm sounding in our room (if the AC unit noise wasn't enough).
In my opinion, it's a good hotel, well appointed and clean, but they totally lack a prepared stuff and also professionalism, and this could really spoil one's stay.
Be ready to say: I'm sorry, we don't do early check ins (instead of lying telling your guests you're trying to find a better room!!); please do reconsider your AC units (something more modern and silent would be nice) and stop telling your guests you are fully booked when we know you aren't.
Being sincere and considerate with guests would be nice and respectful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear sitraveler_11,

First I would absolutely like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. While the staff here loves to read all the good comments, we also understand that when negative comments arise, we need to understand we did not meet a guest expectations and we have our work cut out for us.

I would like to apologize to you for the treatment you say you received while staying with us. There is no excuse I can offer other then to let you know I am currently working with the General Manager to ensure this does not happen again. I also heard your comments on the AC system loud and clear and we have found the solution to quite them so a restful nights sleep can be had. I understand we had a few rooms where the system would cycle and can assure you, this issue has been resolved.

My apologies again to you but we really do appreciate your comments. It's through comments like yours that we know we have to train harder to give the level of service you desire and expect. I really hope that if your travels take you into the Brooklyn area again you will give us another try. We take these comments serious and strive to make the changes needed to improve ourselves, this is no exception.

Hoping you have a very happy holiday season and a bright new year.

Best Regards,
Karl

Been to aloft New York Brooklyn? Share your experiences!