“Bad, in a WOW kind of way!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Goode, Virginia, United States
“Bad, in a WOW kind of way!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband booked ( Expedia) a king room with view for our getaway in NYC/Brooklyn. See the pic for full effect of VIEW! The view was so unpleasant that we closed the cheap vinyl blinds (that kept coming off track) which made the small room feel like a cave. To speak to apathetic staff, you must wait and wait in a queue that makes no sense. Immediately the hotel staff I spoke with placed the blame on expedia for the wrong booking. She offered no joy. No resolution. No apologies. No refund. Never once offered to put us in another room. My husband, with all the paperwork showing what we paid for, went to the same front desk staff a second time to ask for help. The blame was pushed back on to expedia, and the staff offered no remedy. The hotel says expedia is at fault we didn't get the room we paid for and offered no help in resolving..and an expedia representative says it is the hotel's fault and will do nothing to resolve. In order that equity be met, I did appreciated the rooms had recycling bins. Cool green thing to do. Room service food is provided by the hotel next door, so food is brought to the room in reusable or recyclable packaging. In the shower, shampoo and soap dispensers eliminate gazillions of wee little plastic bottles. Another nice green touch. Bed linens, duvet, and towels were good and clean. Rare for a hotel experience, especially when your room is near both the elevator and the stairs, that noise was not an issue. The room was small but cleverly designed and the bathroom area quite well designed. BUT, no room, anywhere, is worth the horrid treatment, wretched view and staff that laugh and smirk rather than providing assistance. Never again, Aloft.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Our first time at an Aloft hotel - although we did stay at a few more over the course of this trip. All Aloft hotels are identical using the same cookie cutter design - very small rooms but functional and which allows them to keep rates down in a very expensive city to find decent accommodation. The Aloft in Brooklyn is in an OK neighbourhood - close to a three different subway lines and close to the tkts outlet in Brooklyn. Not sure how safe it it in the evening - got home one night and the streets were pretty much abandoned, two cops were patrolling and we didnt feel 100% safe in a very ethnic diverse neighbourhood. Nevertheless, once we found our bearings we managed to navigate our way quickly back to the hotel from any of the three subway stops

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear JCJT,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a tripadvisor review on our hotel. This area of Brooklyn is experiencing an amazing transformation with new buildings being built, fantastic commercial areas including the Barclay Center opening and a great influx of residential complexes and retail facilities.

It seems that we didn't WOW you during your stay and I apologize for that. It's our intention for every guest to walk through our doors and have an amazing experience each and every time. I do hope that if your travels take you into the Brooklyn area again, you will stay with us.

Many great things are happening in Brooklyn right now and we'd love to show you what we're really made of here.

Have a great holiday season and a fantastic new year to you and yours.

Palma de Mallorca, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The rooms are nice, but there is no view, so don't bother opening the window. Wifi in the rooms is spotty, but there are free computers in the lobby. Rooms have modern furnishings and comfortable beds. There are a few restaurants and shops in walking distance, but Fulton Mall is far from upscale...a little shady late at night.

We booked a room block here for our wedding in October. The sales office must have changed direction 10 times over the course of 6 months, so getting answers to questions was near impossible as we worked on planning. The weekend of our event there were at least 2 other wedding parties in the hotel, so staff used that as the excuse to delay or deny services....such as allowing bridesmaids to come upstairs! They did loan us a large mirror and a barstool for hair and makeup.

For now, I guess this is the best in the neighborhood, but I think lots of people are hoping the Barclays center and new businesses will also bring hotel competition and alternatives.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear lesley012,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and your experience in tripadvisor.com. We always appreciate the great comments as well as the negative comments. Both good and bad, we learn from and are able to train our staff to better accommodate our guests.

I do apologize for the spotty internet service you experienced during your stay. I'm hoping you were able to get on line and what you needed with little difficulty. I'm also going to be getting with the desk and management staff as to why a wedding party member was not allowed up stairs. This could have been due to security, but a quick call to the guests room would have resolved that. Please do accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your comments and I would like to wish you a very happy holiday and a wonderful new year for 2013!

Plano, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Aloft for 5 nights during Thanksgiving week. The location was good, we have 2 children living in Brooklyn and it was close to the subways to get to either of them. There are subway stations within short walking distance to the hotel for a lot of different subways. We found some decent restaurants within a short walk from the hotel. Our room was a decent size for NYC, comfortable king bed , nice flat screen TV , and decent sized bathroom and shower. You could hear neighbors, the walls seemed thin. The first night it was a family trying to get their kids to sleep, we could hear them quite well. The next night someone had a dog. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay. A couple nights we chose to conserve, and did not have our room cleaned, but that meant our coffee/ tea was not replenished. Perhaps that could be made available. The room has a small fridge, I would like a microwave for tea, it would fit in to the dressing are. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DonahueA,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your business and also for taking the time to write your comments about our hotel and your experience. Thank you for pointing out that we are near several of the major subway lines leading into Manhattan and to other parts in Brooklyn. We like to think we do have a great location.

I would like to apologize for any noise you experienced your first few nights. Hopefully if your travels take your to the Brooklyn area again, you will give us another try. We always love it when we get repeat guests, we can show them all the progress we have made and how this area of the city is having many exciting things happen.

Best of a holiday season to you and your family and hoping you have a bright new year.

Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in order to avoid the high rates in Manhattan due to the election day. It was our second experience in Brooklyn (we really like staying in Brooklyn, the location is not a problem at all), and once more, we were disappointed.
Front desk has a very young staff (nothing against it), and once we arrived all packed up from Toronto, we heard we should wait a bit in order to check in.
I specifically asked for a quiet room, high floor, away from the elevators. The person in charge said I would get exactly that, but I'd rather wait instead of promptly checking in.
So here we go, into Manhattan to spend some time (they kept our luggage), and once we arrived back (different staff this time), I'm checked in a room in a high floor (11 th if I'm not mistaken), but guess what? Almost in front of the elevators, with an adjoining door (exactly the opposite from what I asked!!)
So, I had to go back to front desk to ask for another room, and their "standard" answer is: 'we're fully booked" ( found that later). Why make me wait, then?
So when I reminded the guy at front desk about the first room that they had in mind for me, out of a sudden, this room seems to be available! Really?
Although the room was clean, well appointed and yes, pretty small, the problem with checking in would be OK if not for our second nightmare: the AC unit.
It's extremely, extremely noisy!! It keeps turning on and off all the time, so be prepared to sleep like hell or to simply turn the unit off (we had to keep with the second option).
The first night we found it extremely hard to sleep and called maintenance. The guy showed up after quite some time, in a very bad humor, and gave us the standard answer: I'm sorry, we're fully booked, and hopefully, you'll eventually sleep, even with the noise (very professional!)
Of course we couldn't sleep well, and in the morning another guy from maintenance showed up in told us that yes, the unit is noisy, and yes, it keeps turning on and off to save energy. His advice: keep it turned off (as ridiculous as it might sound, considering the cold outside, at least he was sincere!).
To complete the stay from hell, in our last night we had a false fire alarm sounding in our room (if the AC unit noise wasn't enough).
In my opinion, it's a good hotel, well appointed and clean, but they totally lack a prepared stuff and also professionalism, and this could really spoil one's stay.
Be ready to say: I'm sorry, we don't do early check ins (instead of lying telling your guests you're trying to find a better room!!); please do reconsider your AC units (something more modern and silent would be nice) and stop telling your guests you are fully booked when we know you aren't.
Being sincere and considerate with guests would be nice and respectful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear sitraveler_11,

First I would absolutely like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. While the staff here loves to read all the good comments, we also understand that when negative comments arise, we need to understand we did not meet a guest expectations and we have our work cut out for us.

I would like to apologize to you for the treatment you say you received while staying with us. There is no excuse I can offer other then to let you know I am currently working with the General Manager to ensure this does not happen again. I also heard your comments on the AC system loud and clear and we have found the solution to quite them so a restful nights sleep can be had. I understand we had a few rooms where the system would cycle and can assure you, this issue has been resolved.

My apologies again to you but we really do appreciate your comments. It's through comments like yours that we know we have to train harder to give the level of service you desire and expect. I really hope that if your travels take you into the Brooklyn area again you will give us another try. We take these comments serious and strive to make the changes needed to improve ourselves, this is no exception.

Hoping you have a very happy holiday season and a bright new year.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My family and I stayed a few nights at the Aloft while we were displaced from our apartment by Sandy. As a lifelong New Yorker it is rare (read: never) that I have the opportunity to stay in a hotel in my own city, so this was a new experience for me. While the hotel provided us a (not inexpensive) place to stay, I would sum up my overall experience as disappointing. I am a loyal starwood member and try and stay in starwood hotels when i can becuase I have always had great experiences. Not so here.

Pros:
- Bed was oversized and comfortable
- While the exact location of the hotel leaves much to be desired you are within walking distance from many wonderful neighborhoods in brooklyn. You are also conveniently located to mass transit.
- The hotel staff (other than the front desk) were very friendly

Cons:
- The walls must be made of paper mache. We could hear the people in the room next to us as clearly as if they were standing in the room with us (and they were not yelling). My wife and I would have dealt with this if it were just the 2 of us but having our 14 month old daughter made that problematic at best.
- Front desk staff.
(1) When we checked in we made a long term reservation, not knowing how long we would be out of our apartment. I advised the front desk of our issue and asked when we could cancel without penalty if we were able to return to our apartment. I was told that so long as I cancelled by 6pm the night before I was OK. When we were final able to return to our home I canceled the balance of our reservation by 5pm the night before. When I spoke with the front desk I was told the cut off was actually 3pm and was charged 1 nights penalty. During the course of our reservation our daily rate changed, the hotel of course elected to charge us the highest rate. After much back and forth the hotel would not budge, though did only charge us 50% of the lowest daily rate of our reservation.
(2) At best the front desk staff seem disinterested and at worst condescending and generally unhelpful. Whenever I spoke with them I was given the distinct impression that I was annoying them. Contrast this with the rest of the hotel staff (see above) which i thought were wonderful.

- No proper tub. When my wife inquired at the front desk about whether any rooms in the hotel had a tub she was met with a curt and annoyed "no" at the front desk.

These may sound like minor issues to some but I did want to post the review because I would hate for folks on vacation or holiday to stay at this hotel expecting service and facilities at a level justified by the room rate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear spe99,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us here at the Aloft Brooklyn. I understand you are local to the city and was your first time staying here due to being temporarily displaced by Sandy. I hope you were able to get back into your home safe and sound as it was definately an experience for us all.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered while staying with us. Our rates do change on a daily basis and during the storm we had a full house. I apologize for the noise as many people were trying to get settled in from the storm during your stay.

Our cancellation policy also came into question through your review and I will need to investigate what happend. Our normal cancellation policy is 48 hours and from what I am hearing you were told 5PM then 3PM. Please forgive the confusion and know I will be checking into this.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review about your stay with us. We take all comments, both positive and negative, and learn from our errors to retrain the staff to better serve our guests.

Here's wishing you the very best of a holiday season and a very happy prosperous new year!

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I often travel to NYC, but never stay in Brooklyn, but this past weekend I booked two plays in this borough which made me decide to try staying here too. My friend and I chose this hotel because of its connection to the W, the pics on their website, and the decent reviews. We were pretty happy with the hotel generally. The design of the whole space is fun, modern and clean. Pool table in the lobby and interesting blue water floor tiles in the elevator which would visually squish under your feet when you stood on them. The room was functional and comfortable and we had a lovely view. There was some muted music noise from a nearby bar you could hear at night, which might bother light sleepers or early to bed types, but it didn't bother us. The main negative was the immediate neighbourhood surrrounding the hotel. It is basically in downtown Brooklyn and the nearest busy street is quite downmarket and sort of sketchy. However the subway is nearby, and a short walk away in the other direction of the sketch stores is the Brooklyn Heights historic district which is very lovely with beautiful architecture and a street of more charming stores and restaurants. We were also able to walk to DUMBO which was relatively close (about 20-30 mins walk). We took the subway or cabs to visit Manhattan or Williamsburg. I will note that one thing about Brooklyn that seems VERY different from Manhattan, was cab service. It was very difficult to flag down a cab in Brooklyn because there are just not many around, and if you see one, its frequently already got a fare, or is off service. Compared to the endless fleets of yellow in Manhattan, this was an inconvenient surprise. The second part of this point is, 5 out of 5 cabs that we managed to get in Brooklyn had NO IDEA where anything was in Brooklyn and openly asked us to give them directions how to get anywhere. And we were obvious tourists. I had to pay roaming charges on my iphone to map out a route for these cabbies, none of whom had GPS. This type of inconvenience might make we reconsider staying in Brooklyn again unless there is a specific reason, but that's my impression of the area, not the hotel itself, which was quite nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
newston r, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and was able to give Brooklyn a chance. I’m not sure if you were aware, but the hotel does offer car service with an outside vendor. Unfortunately, we can't call yellow cabs and make reservations, so we have a private car service posted in front of hotel during the morning and afternoon hours to assist guests. The next best location to hale a yellow taxi would be 2 blocks away at Flatbush Ave. As you mention the subway is within walking distance and it's only a few minutes away from the city. I'm sorry the drivers did not have GPS to assist you with the location.

Been to aloft New York Brooklyn? Share your experiences!