“Stylish, yes. Service, questionable” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #20 of 51 hotels in Brooklyn
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
“Stylish, yes. Service, questionable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The rooms are nice, but there is no view, so don't bother opening the window. Wifi in the rooms is spotty, but there are free computers in the lobby. Rooms have modern furnishings and comfortable beds. There are a few restaurants and shops in walking distance, but Fulton Mall is far from upscale...a little shady late at night.

We booked a room block here for our wedding in October. The sales office must have changed direction 10 times over the course of 6 months, so getting answers to questions was near impossible as we worked on planning. The weekend of our event there were at least 2 other wedding parties in the hotel, so staff used that as the excuse to delay or deny services....such as allowing bridesmaids to come upstairs! They did loan us a large mirror and a barstool for hair and makeup.

For now, I guess this is the best in the neighborhood, but I think lots of people are hoping the Barclays center and new businesses will also bring hotel competition and alternatives.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear lesley012,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and your experience in tripadvisor.com. We always appreciate the great comments as well as the negative comments. Both good and bad, we learn from and are able to train our staff to better accommodate our guests.

I do apologize for the spotty internet service you experienced during your stay. I'm hoping you were able to get on line and what you needed with little difficulty. I'm also going to be getting with the desk and management staff as to why a wedding party member was not allowed up stairs. This could have been due to security, but a quick call to the guests room would have resolved that. Please do accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your comments and I would like to wish you a very happy holiday and a wonderful new year for 2013!

500 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Plano, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Aloft for 5 nights during Thanksgiving week. The location was good, we have 2 children living in Brooklyn and it was close to the subways to get to either of them. There are subway stations within short walking distance to the hotel for a lot of different subways. We found some decent restaurants within a short walk from the hotel. Our room was a decent size for NYC, comfortable king bed , nice flat screen TV , and decent sized bathroom and shower. You could hear neighbors, the walls seemed thin. The first night it was a family trying to get their kids to sleep, we could hear them quite well. The next night someone had a dog. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay. A couple nights we chose to conserve, and did not have our room cleaned, but that meant our coffee/ tea was not replenished. Perhaps that could be made available. The room has a small fridge, I would like a microwave for tea, it would fit in to the dressing are. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DonahueA,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your business and also for taking the time to write your comments about our hotel and your experience. Thank you for pointing out that we are near several of the major subway lines leading into Manhattan and to other parts in Brooklyn. We like to think we do have a great location.

I would like to apologize for any noise you experienced your first few nights. Hopefully if your travels take your to the Brooklyn area again, you will give us another try. We always love it when we get repeat guests, we can show them all the progress we have made and how this area of the city is having many exciting things happen.

Best of a holiday season to you and your family and hoping you have a bright new year.

Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in order to avoid the high rates in Manhattan due to the election day. It was our second experience in Brooklyn (we really like staying in Brooklyn, the location is not a problem at all), and once more, we were disappointed.
Front desk has a very young staff (nothing against it), and once we arrived all packed up from Toronto, we heard we should wait a bit in order to check in.
I specifically asked for a quiet room, high floor, away from the elevators. The person in charge said I would get exactly that, but I'd rather wait instead of promptly checking in.
So here we go, into Manhattan to spend some time (they kept our luggage), and once we arrived back (different staff this time), I'm checked in a room in a high floor (11 th if I'm not mistaken), but guess what? Almost in front of the elevators, with an adjoining door (exactly the opposite from what I asked!!)
So, I had to go back to front desk to ask for another room, and their "standard" answer is: 'we're fully booked" ( found that later). Why make me wait, then?
So when I reminded the guy at front desk about the first room that they had in mind for me, out of a sudden, this room seems to be available! Really?
Although the room was clean, well appointed and yes, pretty small, the problem with checking in would be OK if not for our second nightmare: the AC unit.
It's extremely, extremely noisy!! It keeps turning on and off all the time, so be prepared to sleep like hell or to simply turn the unit off (we had to keep with the second option).
The first night we found it extremely hard to sleep and called maintenance. The guy showed up after quite some time, in a very bad humor, and gave us the standard answer: I'm sorry, we're fully booked, and hopefully, you'll eventually sleep, even with the noise (very professional!)
Of course we couldn't sleep well, and in the morning another guy from maintenance showed up in told us that yes, the unit is noisy, and yes, it keeps turning on and off to save energy. His advice: keep it turned off (as ridiculous as it might sound, considering the cold outside, at least he was sincere!).
To complete the stay from hell, in our last night we had a false fire alarm sounding in our room (if the AC unit noise wasn't enough).
In my opinion, it's a good hotel, well appointed and clean, but they totally lack a prepared stuff and also professionalism, and this could really spoil one's stay.
Be ready to say: I'm sorry, we don't do early check ins (instead of lying telling your guests you're trying to find a better room!!); please do reconsider your AC units (something more modern and silent would be nice) and stop telling your guests you are fully booked when we know you aren't.
Being sincere and considerate with guests would be nice and respectful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear sitraveler_11,

First I would absolutely like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. While the staff here loves to read all the good comments, we also understand that when negative comments arise, we need to understand we did not meet a guest expectations and we have our work cut out for us.

I would like to apologize to you for the treatment you say you received while staying with us. There is no excuse I can offer other then to let you know I am currently working with the General Manager to ensure this does not happen again. I also heard your comments on the AC system loud and clear and we have found the solution to quite them so a restful nights sleep can be had. I understand we had a few rooms where the system would cycle and can assure you, this issue has been resolved.

My apologies again to you but we really do appreciate your comments. It's through comments like yours that we know we have to train harder to give the level of service you desire and expect. I really hope that if your travels take you into the Brooklyn area again you will give us another try. We take these comments serious and strive to make the changes needed to improve ourselves, this is no exception.

Hoping you have a very happy holiday season and a bright new year.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My family and I stayed a few nights at the Aloft while we were displaced from our apartment by Sandy. As a lifelong New Yorker it is rare (read: never) that I have the opportunity to stay in a hotel in my own city, so this was a new experience for me. While the hotel provided us a (not inexpensive) place to stay, I would sum up my overall experience as disappointing. I am a loyal starwood member and try and stay in starwood hotels when i can becuase I have always had great experiences. Not so here.

Pros:
- Bed was oversized and comfortable
- While the exact location of the hotel leaves much to be desired you are within walking distance from many wonderful neighborhoods in brooklyn. You are also conveniently located to mass transit.
- The hotel staff (other than the front desk) were very friendly

Cons:
- The walls must be made of paper mache. We could hear the people in the room next to us as clearly as if they were standing in the room with us (and they were not yelling). My wife and I would have dealt with this if it were just the 2 of us but having our 14 month old daughter made that problematic at best.
- Front desk staff.
(1) When we checked in we made a long term reservation, not knowing how long we would be out of our apartment. I advised the front desk of our issue and asked when we could cancel without penalty if we were able to return to our apartment. I was told that so long as I cancelled by 6pm the night before I was OK. When we were final able to return to our home I canceled the balance of our reservation by 5pm the night before. When I spoke with the front desk I was told the cut off was actually 3pm and was charged 1 nights penalty. During the course of our reservation our daily rate changed, the hotel of course elected to charge us the highest rate. After much back and forth the hotel would not budge, though did only charge us 50% of the lowest daily rate of our reservation.
(2) At best the front desk staff seem disinterested and at worst condescending and generally unhelpful. Whenever I spoke with them I was given the distinct impression that I was annoying them. Contrast this with the rest of the hotel staff (see above) which i thought were wonderful.

- No proper tub. When my wife inquired at the front desk about whether any rooms in the hotel had a tub she was met with a curt and annoyed "no" at the front desk.

These may sound like minor issues to some but I did want to post the review because I would hate for folks on vacation or holiday to stay at this hotel expecting service and facilities at a level justified by the room rate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear spe99,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us here at the Aloft Brooklyn. I understand you are local to the city and was your first time staying here due to being temporarily displaced by Sandy. I hope you were able to get back into your home safe and sound as it was definately an experience for us all.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered while staying with us. Our rates do change on a daily basis and during the storm we had a full house. I apologize for the noise as many people were trying to get settled in from the storm during your stay.

Our cancellation policy also came into question through your review and I will need to investigate what happend. Our normal cancellation policy is 48 hours and from what I am hearing you were told 5PM then 3PM. Please forgive the confusion and know I will be checking into this.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review about your stay with us. We take all comments, both positive and negative, and learn from our errors to retrain the staff to better serve our guests.

Here's wishing you the very best of a holiday season and a very happy prosperous new year!

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I often travel to NYC, but never stay in Brooklyn, but this past weekend I booked two plays in this borough which made me decide to try staying here too. My friend and I chose this hotel because of its connection to the W, the pics on their website, and the decent reviews. We were pretty happy with the hotel generally. The design of the whole space is fun, modern and clean. Pool table in the lobby and interesting blue water floor tiles in the elevator which would visually squish under your feet when you stood on them. The room was functional and comfortable and we had a lovely view. There was some muted music noise from a nearby bar you could hear at night, which might bother light sleepers or early to bed types, but it didn't bother us. The main negative was the immediate neighbourhood surrrounding the hotel. It is basically in downtown Brooklyn and the nearest busy street is quite downmarket and sort of sketchy. However the subway is nearby, and a short walk away in the other direction of the sketch stores is the Brooklyn Heights historic district which is very lovely with beautiful architecture and a street of more charming stores and restaurants. We were also able to walk to DUMBO which was relatively close (about 20-30 mins walk). We took the subway or cabs to visit Manhattan or Williamsburg. I will note that one thing about Brooklyn that seems VERY different from Manhattan, was cab service. It was very difficult to flag down a cab in Brooklyn because there are just not many around, and if you see one, its frequently already got a fare, or is off service. Compared to the endless fleets of yellow in Manhattan, this was an inconvenient surprise. The second part of this point is, 5 out of 5 cabs that we managed to get in Brooklyn had NO IDEA where anything was in Brooklyn and openly asked us to give them directions how to get anywhere. And we were obvious tourists. I had to pay roaming charges on my iphone to map out a route for these cabbies, none of whom had GPS. This type of inconvenience might make we reconsider staying in Brooklyn again unless there is a specific reason, but that's my impression of the area, not the hotel itself, which was quite nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
newston r, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and was able to give Brooklyn a chance. I’m not sure if you were aware, but the hotel does offer car service with an outside vendor. Unfortunately, we can't call yellow cabs and make reservations, so we have a private car service posted in front of hotel during the morning and afternoon hours to assist guests. The next best location to hale a yellow taxi would be 2 blocks away at Flatbush Ave. As you mention the subway is within walking distance and it's only a few minutes away from the city. I'm sorry the drivers did not have GPS to assist you with the location.
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I'm slightly confused by the reviews I have read on the aloft as my partner and i travelled from the uk to Brooklyn last December and both agreed that it was one of the most friendly, trendy, lovely, comfortable hotels that either of us had ever stayed in. The staff were very helpful, the room was a good size for a New York hotel and the cleanliness was fantastic. Free wifi, free shower gel etc, and a wonderfully comfortable bed. I truly cannot believe what I am reading when it comes to some of these reviews!! All I can say is there are some seriously over the top fussy people in this world because quite frankly how they can find this hotel a disappointment is beyond me!!

Room Tip: Don't believe the bad reviews. This hotel is second to none
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking time to write your review and I'm glad you had an amazing time with us. There are some concerns with other guests regarding outside noises, which we can’t control or something mechanical could stop working, but we try our best to resolve the issues right away. We do make mistakes, but these reviews do help us with training and providing better service. Our staff is young and friendly and we want to make sure all guests leave satisfy. You and your partner should contact me on your next visit and if possible I will upgrade your room to city view or suite based on availability.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

First of all Dylon (exceeeptionaaaal: both experience over the phone and check-in process...precise, sharp, accurate). Friday morning10/19 (I think) young lady
(dealt with sandwhich, short, short hair, and Haitian decent-found out during the convo we had)very hospitable,friendly!!!! Please give her credit and I apologise about not knowing her name -I figured i would have seen her again!
On the flip side BARBARA ("CEO)"! Extremely rude (eyes rolling, dismissive, playing with her hair). NOT ONLY WAS SHE RUDE, when asked what is her name (she had no name tag-mmm i wonder why!) and position (you would swear she was the CEO of the entire brand the way she conducted herself) she refused to provide me with the information.
I am a platinum member and i stayed at the property with my family (three rooms, three separate reservations) and each reservation had a family member name added to it providing i would not have been present for the arrival due to my line of work. The platinum amenity was only offered to one of my three reservations (again dylon did his thing), and when my wife inquired about it she was told by the "CEO" that because I was not present at checkin the amenity could only be offered only to myself. I was extremely annoyed, disappointed and angry because the "CEO" decided to make an executive decision on who is entitled to receive the silver card (plat amenity breakfast card). I can go on and on about the horrible experience my family and I had at this property (because of the "CEO") but i'll cut it short by briefing you on the type of reservations I had (on points/with points): The CEO decided to place great emphasis on the method of payment and the type of reservations I had. She constantly repeated it (with eyes rolling and all, playing with her hair). Little did she know points or not, platinum or not that was far from a level ten service that I am accustom to). The audocity of this girl. No wonder a survey was not sent to my email address on file. This property is clean, and appropriate for the kids but Barbara ruined the entire atmosphere. SHE DOES NOT BELONG ON THE FRONT END!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
newston r, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your stay. I will advise Dylan and Marsha the positive comments you mentioned and I'm glad they made a difference in your experience. We will also use the survey as a training tool for the staff regarding your feedback. We do try to accomodate the amenties, but per SPG policy the Platinum amenities are only for the Platinum guests. On your next visit, please advise us and I will upgrade your room complimentary.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to aloft New York Brooklyn? Share your experiences!