My family and I stayed a few nights at the Aloft while we were displaced from our apartment by Sandy. As a lifelong New Yorker it is rare (read: never) that I have the opportunity to stay in a hotel in my own city, so this was a new experience for me. While the hotel provided us a (not inexpensive) place to stay, I would sum up my overall experience as disappointing. I am a loyal starwood member and try and stay in starwood hotels when i can becuase I have always had great experiences. Not so here.
- Bed was oversized and comfortable
- While the exact location of the hotel leaves much to be desired you are within walking distance from many wonderful neighborhoods in brooklyn. You are also conveniently located to mass transit.
- The hotel staff (other than the front desk) were very friendly
- The walls must be made of paper mache. We could hear the people in the room next to us as clearly as if they were standing in the room with us (and they were not yelling). My wife and I would have dealt with this if it were just the 2 of us but having our 14 month old daughter made that problematic at best.
- Front desk staff.
(1) When we checked in we made a long term reservation, not knowing how long we would be out of our apartment. I advised the front desk of our issue and asked when we could cancel without penalty if we were able to return to our apartment. I was told that so long as I cancelled by 6pm the night before I was OK. When we were final able to return to our home I canceled the balance of our reservation by 5pm the night before. When I spoke with the front desk I was told the cut off was actually 3pm and was charged 1 nights penalty. During the course of our reservation our daily rate changed, the hotel of course elected to charge us the highest rate. After much back and forth the hotel would not budge, though did only charge us 50% of the lowest daily rate of our reservation.
(2) At best the front desk staff seem disinterested and at worst condescending and generally unhelpful. Whenever I spoke with them I was given the distinct impression that I was annoying them. Contrast this with the rest of the hotel staff (see above) which i thought were wonderful.
- No proper tub. When my wife inquired at the front desk about whether any rooms in the hotel had a tub she was met with a curt and annoyed "no" at the front desk.
These may sound like minor issues to some but I did want to post the review because I would hate for folks on vacation or holiday to stay at this hotel expecting service and facilities at a level justified by the room rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just minutes from the Brooklyn Bridge and downtown Manhattan, Aloft Brooklyn offers a hip and exciting accommodation with an urban-influenced design and a social scene that's always a buzz. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Starwood, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your aloft New York Brooklyn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aloft New York Brooklyn Hotel Brooklyn