I often travel to NYC, but never stay in Brooklyn, but this past weekend I booked two plays in this borough which made me decide to try staying here too. My friend and I chose this hotel because of its connection to the W, the pics on their website, and the decent reviews. We were pretty happy with the hotel generally. The design of the whole space is fun, modern and clean. Pool table in the lobby and interesting blue water floor tiles in the elevator which would visually squish under your feet when you stood on them. The room was functional and comfortable and we had a lovely view. There was some muted music noise from a nearby bar you could hear at night, which might bother light sleepers or early to bed types, but it didn't bother us. The main negative was the immediate neighbourhood surrrounding the hotel. It is basically in downtown Brooklyn and the nearest busy street is quite downmarket and sort of sketchy. However the subway is nearby, and a short walk away in the other direction of the sketch stores is the Brooklyn Heights historic district which is very lovely with beautiful architecture and a street of more charming stores and restaurants. We were also able to walk to DUMBO which was relatively close (about 20-30 mins walk). We took the subway or cabs to visit Manhattan or Williamsburg. I will note that one thing about Brooklyn that seems VERY different from Manhattan, was cab service. It was very difficult to flag down a cab in Brooklyn because there are just not many around, and if you see one, its frequently already got a fare, or is off service. Compared to the endless fleets of yellow in Manhattan, this was an inconvenient surprise. The second part of this point is, 5 out of 5 cabs that we managed to get in Brooklyn had NO IDEA where anything was in Brooklyn and openly asked us to give them directions how to get anywhere. And we were obvious tourists. I had to pay roaming charges on my iphone to map out a route for these cabbies, none of whom had GPS. This type of inconvenience might make we reconsider staying in Brooklyn again unless there is a specific reason, but that's my impression of the area, not the hotel itself, which was quite nice.
- Also Known As:
- Aloft New York Brooklyn Hotel Brooklyn
- Aloft New York Brooklyn Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just minutes from the Brooklyn Bridge and downtown Manhattan, Aloft Brooklyn offers a hip and exciting accommodation with an urban-influenced design and a social scene that's always a buzz. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Starwood, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Amex, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Venere and Tingo so you can book your aloft New York Brooklyn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.