“Confused by opinions” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
“Confused by opinions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I'm slightly confused by the reviews I have read on the aloft as my partner and i travelled from the uk to Brooklyn last December and both agreed that it was one of the most friendly, trendy, lovely, comfortable hotels that either of us had ever stayed in. The staff were very helpful, the room was a good size for a New York hotel and the cleanliness was fantastic. Free wifi, free shower gel etc, and a wonderfully comfortable bed. I truly cannot believe what I am reading when it comes to some of these reviews!! All I can say is there are some seriously over the top fussy people in this world because quite frankly how they can find this hotel a disappointment is beyond me!!

Room Tip: Don't believe the bad reviews. This hotel is second to none
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
newston r, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you so much for taking time to write your review and I'm glad you had an amazing time with us. There are some concerns with other guests regarding outside noises, which we can’t control or something mechanical could stop working, but we try our best to resolve the issues right away. We do make mistakes, but these reviews do help us with training and providing better service. Our staff is young and friendly and we want to make sure all guests leave satisfy. You and your partner should contact me on your next visit and if possible I will upgrade your room to city view or suite based on availability.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

First of all Dylon (exceeeptionaaaal: both experience over the phone and check-in process...precise, sharp, accurate). Friday morning10/19 (I think) young lady
(dealt with sandwhich, short, short hair, and Haitian decent-found out during the convo we had)very hospitable,friendly!!!! Please give her credit and I apologise about not knowing her name -I figured i would have seen her again!
On the flip side BARBARA ("CEO)"! Extremely rude (eyes rolling, dismissive, playing with her hair). NOT ONLY WAS SHE RUDE, when asked what is her name (she had no name tag-mmm i wonder why!) and position (you would swear she was the CEO of the entire brand the way she conducted herself) she refused to provide me with the information.
I am a platinum member and i stayed at the property with my family (three rooms, three separate reservations) and each reservation had a family member name added to it providing i would not have been present for the arrival due to my line of work. The platinum amenity was only offered to one of my three reservations (again dylon did his thing), and when my wife inquired about it she was told by the "CEO" that because I was not present at checkin the amenity could only be offered only to myself. I was extremely annoyed, disappointed and angry because the "CEO" decided to make an executive decision on who is entitled to receive the silver card (plat amenity breakfast card). I can go on and on about the horrible experience my family and I had at this property (because of the "CEO") but i'll cut it short by briefing you on the type of reservations I had (on points/with points): The CEO decided to place great emphasis on the method of payment and the type of reservations I had. She constantly repeated it (with eyes rolling and all, playing with her hair). Little did she know points or not, platinum or not that was far from a level ten service that I am accustom to). The audocity of this girl. No wonder a survey was not sent to my email address on file. This property is clean, and appropriate for the kids but Barbara ruined the entire atmosphere. SHE DOES NOT BELONG ON THE FRONT END!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
newston r, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your stay. I will advise Dylan and Marsha the positive comments you mentioned and I'm glad they made a difference in your experience. We will also use the survey as a training tool for the staff regarding your feedback. We do try to accomodate the amenties, but per SPG policy the Platinum amenities are only for the Platinum guests. On your next visit, please advise us and I will upgrade your room complimentary.
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked this hotel ages ago for our 10th wedding anniversary. We had mixed views about staying following recent reviews. On the basis of reviews we had requested a room on a lower floor in advance which was fine.

On arrival at the hotel we had some problems which I will mention later.

Our room was OK - I would say decorated rather business like. It was a reasonable size (we had two double beds) and was well equipped with large TV, coffee/tea maker, iron, fridge etc. The cupboard space was, however, limited and OK for a night or two. We found it strange that the sink was not in the bathroom - it was in the area with the cupboard, kettle and fridge. However this was not too much of a problem. The shower was good and a decent size and shampoo/ conditioner and shower gel provided.

Whilst it was great having a tea / coffee maker the hotel only provided limited supplies - 2 teabags, 2 milks and 3 coffee bags. However, having a fridge meant we could at least buy milk and keep it fresh.

Our tea/coffee maker broke on our 5th day and after reporting it twice it got replaced. One of the lights above the the bed didn't work properly and whilst we reported it this was not sorted. We didn't pursue this as we had a light for our Kindles which we could use. We also had a problem closing one of our windows and someone came up immediately to sort which we were impressed with.

The hotel also has a small gym which I used twice and was the only person there. It also has a pool and Jacuzzi which is only open from 5pm - 10pm - not sure why as it would have been nice to have had an early swim.

We found the staff to be pleasant although most of the reception staff gave the impression that they were students doing this job in their spare time - we didn't find them as professional as staff in other hotels we have stayed in. We also found the reception area rather odd - it is pretty small and, as well as a reception desk, has a breakfast / food bar (we didn't use as would much rather have gone out), a snooker table a bar and a few chairs.

Overall we weren't sure if the hotel were trying to attract business people (as the rooms would indicate), or a young crowd (as the reception area would suggest).

The hotel is about 10 minutes’ walk away from shops and restaurants in Montague, Smith and Hoyt Streets and Atlantic Avenue. It is also well placed for transport (4 or 5 subway stations within 5 - 10 minutes’ walk.

Our main problems with the hotel and why I have scored it particularly low was that on arrival we were told we were booked in for 6 nights, when in fact it was 7 (we had proof we had booked and paid). We were told this was fine and sorted. However, when we returned to the hotel on our 7th (and last) evening our key wouldn't work. When we went to reception they asked us for our ID, which we advised was in our room. We were taken up to the room by the caretaker who then told us all was OK. Our room however hadn't been cleaned and our new 'neighbours' were obviously not happy about something. Whilst we were told the cleaner had gone home they did offer to clear our room. As we were due to go out we told them not to bother but asked if we could have a complimentary drink, which they agreed to.

We then got woken up at about 5am by our neighbours partying, and who continued to do so despite us complaining to both them and reception. It turned out they were part of a wedding party and, given they had the surrounding rooms, we believe that our room, was meant for them given they told us on arrival that they only had us booked for six nights. We did complain in the morning and the very helpful supervisor gave us some vouchers to spend in the restaurant in the hotel.

At no time were we told why we had got 'locked' out of our room, or why it was not cleaned on the 7th night, or received an apology for this.

Overall if we had stayed a shorter time we would probably have given a higher score (three) but the problem on the last night really put us off.

Room Tip: Lower floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Karl B, Regional Director of Operations at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear TTK,

Thank you so much for your business, we appreciate you giving our hotel a try and would also like to thank you for taking the time to write your review about your experiences with us here.

From you review, it sounds as if you for the most part enjoyed your stay. Please allow me to apologize though for your 7th night room key not working. This was an over-sight on our part. Our records show we had you in for 6 nights and when the electronic keys are cut while your checking in, the computer made the key valid for 6 days instead of the 7 days. We should have changed that while you were checking in and again, I do apologize for the inconvenience.

I hope that if your travels take you back into the Brooklyn area, you'll give us another try. Your comments are very valuable to us and I will be sharing them with the desk staff to ensure this does not happen to others.

Best Regards,
Karl
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My family and I stayed for 2 nights after being displaced by Sandy-related power outages. We were thankful to find a room (albeit at over $400/night) and appreciated the hot showers and free WiFi.

What we did not appreciate, however, was the near complete lack of sound insulation between our room and an adjacent room. The two rooms were connected via an internal door and we could hear just about everything going on in the next room: the televsion, conversations, other mysterious sounds. I asked at the front desk and was told that all rooms like ours (2 double beds) have this setup. I said, "It is so loud." The front desk clerk responded, "I know," but offered nothing further.

I am crossing Aloft off my list, disaster contngency or not...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Marc E,

I recevied your comments via tripadvisor.com and wanted to respond to you. First I'd like to thank you for your business. I'm so sorry you were displaced through hurricane Sandy. During that time period, many families in the area were staying with us to get through their displacement as well.

I apologize for any and all noise you experienced during your stay. During the storm and immediately there after, we did have quite a few families in house and took some time to get everyone settled down. I do apologize for this inconvenience but am glad all is safe and sound now.

I would like to ask you to give us a try again if you even need accomodations in Brooklyn. Aside from the chaos of the storm, we have a fantastic staff and would like for you to experience that if you need a room in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and hoping you and your family have a very safe storm recovery.

Best Regards,
Karl
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Booked this hotel using points, paying $15 to have 3 ppl versus the normal 2 allowed for redemption. For only 7,000 points, had a great experience. Keep in mind that aloft, though trendy, is fairly no frills, but still clean and modern. Room was comfortable for 3 people who were mostly spending the night and then planning out their morning. Would not recommend if you needed to invite anyone in to chat - there are no chairs besides the single desk chair, so the normal armchair that I often take for granted was missed.

One of the bed frames was extremely creaky - the wood would make obnoxious noises everytime the one person moved, keeping everyone up. Still, she said the bed was comfortable and though it was annoying, it seemed unusual and not something to keep me from rebooking.

Hotel is in an interesting area - we arrived at night and the cab was confused because his GPS didn't tell him about the new roundabout, preventing him from actually dropping us outside the hotel. At first we were a little skeptical about walking from where he was to the hotel because we couldn't get a sense of where we needed to be. Luckily, we recognized the lighting down the block and agreed to walk. We were amused to see a fairly isolated street that at first glance seemed unsavory to be lined with luxury vehicles - couldn't figure it out because it didn't look like it was for a particular residence, nor were there any restaurants or lounges that would explain the situation.

The hotel can be a bit...obnoxious? in terms of the ambiance - techno music, bright colours, a weird club vibe in the elevators. You could tell some guests were thrown a bit - we got into the elevator with a prim and proper elderly couple who looked fairly alarmed. Still, that all goes away in the room and while not old world elegance, it wouldn't keep me from recommending to any demographic - they just need to be warned so they don't turn around based on the lobby alone.

Again, great deal for the points and close enough to Manhattan that I would book again. The neighbourhood in the morning was bright and cheerful - we walked to a drugstore to buy stuff for breakfast having missed the hotel cafe hours and popped into some shops along the way. Certainly a neighbourhood going through a good change.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your stay with us. The Aloft brand is a vision of the W hotels, which is why the lobby is design a certain way. The music, colors, and trendy feeling is Aloft brand. We are a category 3 hotel, so only 7,000 SPG points is needed to book a room at our hotel, which I'm happy you were able to do. My apologies for the taxi experience as the city has revised traffic rules and now Fulton Street is only available to city buses. The taxi driver just needed to go around the block to be able to drop you off in front of the hotel. I will advise my maintenance staff about the head board noise and get it fixed ASAP. Thanks again for letting us know.

Please visit again if your travels bring you to the Brooklyn area.
George Town, Grand Cayman
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We chose this Hotel for the end of our trip to NYC as most reviews mentioned there good post room. Unfortunately they misplaced and send all the other parcels my wife ordered for our Autistic son.

Also, the next morning we awoke to jack hammering. They are building a new skyscraper on the back of the Hotel. We checked out and went to the W instead.

Weeks later we still do not have all the refunds for the parcels they send back and did not document.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chiclana de la Frontera, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the "Aloft" in Brooklyn for 5 days four nights while in transition of moving out of NYC. We used points and the staff was pretty amazing. We got there at 11am knowing we may not be able to check in till 3pm, but seeing as were Starwood members they happily checked us in with no issues. We got complimentary latte's daily and were able to get so many more points but going GREEN! The area was not what I expected but tons of shopping and dining close by.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
newston r, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you sharing your comments about your stay with us. We always try to accommodate all guests with early check-ins, but especially our SPG members. We do offer FREE coffee in the mornings at our re:fuel grab-n-go area. I'm glad you notice the nearby shopping and hope you had time to enjoy it. There are great local restaurants located on Smith Street, which is walking distance from the hotel. Please be our guest again when you travel back to NYC.

Been to aloft New York Brooklyn? Share your experiences!