“Fab hotel handy to several subways” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Sydney, Australia
“Fab hotel handy to several subways”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

a fab brooklyn hotel , loved the room & the Aloft feel. I loved the showers & the set up of the room. there is many subway lines around the hotel you can get anywhere in manhattan amazingly easy. strangely we didn't hear any noise from anywhere. the floor of the elevator is cute.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Aloha,

Thanks for your recent comments and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Please contact me personally for any additional comments are future travel plans to brooklyn.

Thanks,
Timothy.gilbert@aloftnewyorkbrooklyn.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed a week in this Brooklyn hotel, so that's enough to experience all the good and bad things. The good things: the room is okay, the bed is comfortable, enough pillows and I even had a view (22nd floor) ... not extremely large, as usual in NYC. But everything is there and the shower is fine as well. Reception is very friendly, nothing wrong.
Unfortunatley the A/C makes a lot of noise, so I was glad I had my motorcycle earplugs with me. Without that it would have been less comfortable (and it was a 100 degrees outside, so airco was really necessary). The Subway is very close and that's nice. It takes about 25 minutes to downtown Manhattan. I thought I would be in Brooklyn more often during that week, but I was more often in Manhattan. So then it's less practical to pick this spot. More so because the direct surrounding isn't really very interesting. Not much to do at night, so off you go again.

So you should take that in mind. But despite that, I can recommend the hotel with pleasure.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your recent visit to the Aloft downtown Brooklyn. We are happy that you selected us and would like to see you again. I have enclosed my email address if you have any additional comments and ideas or just need assistance with your travel plans.

Timothy.gilbert@aloftnewyorkbrookyn.com
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

If you like sleeping in a wind tunnel, this is the place for you. If you want to pay high prices to stay in a hotel whose lobby feels like a school cafeteria, then check in. The staff are overwhelmed. The rooms are poorly laid out with the worlds most noisy and ineffective aircon. When I checked out two days early the hotel wouldn't refund the difference. This place smacks of corporate greed and poor resourcing. Stay at the NU hotel - a fantastic hotel with a wonderful feel and staff.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Aloha,

Good afternoon. I am sorry that our hotel did not live up to your expectations and because we pride ourselves with giving outstanding service I would like to give you an opportunity to visit us again. The Aloft is the newest, trendy away from home spot in Brooklyn and from the feedback that we recieve often we are happy provide this to our guests. Your comments will be shared with each talent member and we hope you allow us the opportunity to accomodate you again. I have enclosed my email for speedy return. timothy.gilbert@aloftnewyorkbrooklyn.com

Syracuse, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I spent five nights at the aloft in Brooklyn over Memorial Day weekend. The hotel itself was just as expected (maybe even better than expected). If it was in Manhattan, I would give it 4 or 5 stars. The neighborhood however, wasn't. This is probably my own fault - I normally stay in Manhattan when I go to New York, but this time, I wanted to try something different. I did some research on the area and was a little familiar with it, but it was still a little disappointing.

The gentrification of Brooklyn hasn't quite made it to this area yet. Literally 2-3 blocks west (on the other side of Borough Hall), it is a LOT more "yuppie-fied". The area surrounding the hotel is still pretty rough around the edges in my opinion. There are a lot of run down/empty store fronts, it's not as clean, and it's just a lot more gritty than i had expected.

Now...with all that said...I never at one time felt unsafe or anything like that. It's just not as "friendly" as most of Manhattan or Brooklyn Heights. For some people, this may not be an issue...but if you're a young family or "nervous" traveler on a solo trip, there may be better choices out there.

So about the actual hotel: The service and the room were great. I had a room with two double beds on the 11th floor. Since this is the aloft brand, the room was relatively simple with few frills (which was fine with me). The bathroom was very clean & comfortable, and had an awesome shower. There are a couple close subway stations which made it easy to get to wherever you want to go.

Some of the good/bad things I came across are below. Some are pretty minor and are pet peeves of mine, but I thought I would mention them anyways:

* The walls are pretty thin. I heard every laugh, sneeze, cough, and nose-blow of the people next to me.

* The shower soaked the bathroom floor every time. I guess I will never understand how new hotels are built with showers that make puddles in the bathroom. I feel like it happens all the time.

* I got room service a few times, and it was always fast and really good. Their menu doesn't have a ton on it, but it was great every time. And not a ton of money.

* The television/in-room entertainment is TERRIBLE. I don't know why Starwood would move away from what is in most of their other properties in this brand new hotel - if it's not broke, then don't fix it. The picture quality was terrible and it wasn't user-friendly at all.

* The water in the room came out of the faucet looking like milk. No joke. I filled up an empty soda bottle with it, and it took 10 minutes for it to clear up. It's harmless, but just something to be ready for. It is also (in my opinion) over-softened. This makes it easier for them to keep the bathrooms clean (less water spots), but it takes four times longer to get the soap off when washing hands and taking showers.

* There aren't nearly as many places to grab a bite to eat or a drink than other areas. There is a Duane Reade pretty close for buying food for the room, but other than that, the options in the immediate vicinity are limited. There is also a little snack shop in the lobby, but again - not many options.

* It CAN be way less expensive than a lot of places in Manhattan. I say "can" because at times, it is still pretty pricey. But if you get it at the right time, you can get a killer deal. That is especially true if you use SPG points - your points will go much, much further here than any other Starwood property in the city.

* It is a 15-minute walk to some of the best views of Manhattan I have ever seen. I walked to Manhattan a couple times over the Brooklyn Bridge, which can't be beat.

Room Tip: As far away from the elevator as possible - the walls are thin, so you'll hear less hallway nois...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Aloha,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding the Aloft Brooklyn. Thank you for your paitence as Downtown Brooklyn continues to expand and change. We strive to make the guest experience rewarding each and every time. Your comments allows me to share with our talent and Management teams to make it even better. Please take my email for any additional comments or ideas that you may have and even if you need assistance for any future travel plans.

Thanks again for living ALOT.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

From the moment we arrived the staff was amazing, attentive friendly and helpful. All of our questions about locations of attractions, travel times to get there and other details were answered in a friendly, knowledgable manner. There are a few great breakfast/lunch spots out the door, left and a short walk away as well as a nice park to eat in. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated. A short walk to the Brooklyn bridge was a great way to spend Sunday morning. The best advice, which I got from a review here was do Not use the hotel car service. Use Aerocibo. They are the best! The hotel car service is way too expensive!
Our stay was wonderful and we will return to Aloft every time we are in the NY area!

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your experience about the ALOFT in Brooklyn. Your comments make us even better. We happy that you enjoyed your visit and can't WAIT for your speedy RETURN.

Please email me directly with any future travel plans or arrangments or any additional comments.

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The hotel itself was fine - I have stayed in a few different aLoft properties now, and the clean, modern vibe is fun or a day or two. In some ways, the location of this hotel is excellent - as it is is just one or two subway stops to Manhattan (depending on which train you take). In other ways, the location is pretty awful - the street it is on is dismal, at best. The cross streets are clearly transitional - so, we felt pretty unsafe right there at night. Within just a block or two, though, the neighborhood improves. We walked to the Brooklyn Bridge and the walk was fine. Unlike in Manhattan where there are places to eat every 10 feet, I could NOT find a good place for a latte in the morning (other than the pseudo-latte the hotel offers). There is nothing, really, right where that hotel was. You have to go 'elsewhere' for virtually everything.

I thought the self-parking (one block over) was very reasonably priced ($25).

Best advice is be sure the carefully research the various subway stop options near the hotel - there are a few, and all very close, but some of the lines take a rather slow route to Midtown, others get you there in a jiffy. (the 'R' train takes much longer than the 'Q' train, but you have to work a bit to find that station).

I'd stay there again

Room Tip: The view from our room was awful - not sure if there are any good view rooms! However, our room was...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
ALOHA!

Thank you for selecting to stay at the new innovative Hotel in Brooklyn. We are so happy that you decided to stay with us and hope you come to visit us again. I will share your comments with our talent teams and will send you my email if you need any assistance in the future in your next trip. timothy.gilbert@aloftnewyorkbrooklyn.com

CARMARTHENSHIRE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I want to say that those few people who have given poor reviews for this hotel must be incredibly difficult to please or have a personal axe to grind with this hotel for some reason. My wife and I have just returned to Wales after five days in New York and I can honestly say that we didn't put a foot wrong booking Aloft Brooklyn for our stay.

First of all the hotel is modern, clean and situated really near to several subway stations that means you can get into Manhattan in minutes. My overall impression when we arrived was that of a well run and efficient hotel, very friendly staff. Our check in with Barbara on the desk was a pleasure and I really would like to say that the young people who seem to be running the hotel were never less than friendly, helpful and curteous.

Room was beautifully laid out, great big bed with quality cotton and linens. Huge high def TV in the room and a fantastic bathroom and shower with very nice toiletries. Didn't have any problems sleeping and certainly didn't find it noisy at all.

Downstairs lobby and bar were great, you could get snacks and drinks pretty much twenty four hours a dat if you wanted. The bar was well stocked and not unreasonably priced.

Some people have complained about the neighbourhood and I would like to address this. My wife and I flew all the way from UK and taxi driver at JFK had no problem finding the hotel. Admittedly there are not many other hotels in this area and it's not what you might call a touristy area but we found it completely safe and a pleasure to discover. Just minutes from the hotel on foot you can be in Brooklyn Heights with its stunning views of Manhattan and it's leafy gorgeous brownstones. Plenty of choice of restaurants and a very hip and friendly vibe.

We found the area of Downtown Brooklyn where Aloft is situated to be a vibrant and exciting place where real New Yorkers lived and worked. I was as excited being here and eating a cheesecake in Juniors as I was sitting in Central Park with a snow one on a sunny day!

So to sum up. Aloft Brooklyn was all the hotel we needed for our trip. Well priced, nicely located, superb staff and customer service and without any hesitation I would recommend it and when we return to NYC in the future we will be staying at this hotel.

Five stars!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ALOHA,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding the ALOFT in brooklyn. We pride ourselves in giving outstanding service and I will share your comments with Barb and the rest of the talent teams. We are really looking forward to your speedy return and I have enclosed my email address if you need anything in the future and assistance with your next trip plans to brooklyn.

Aloft Brooklyn

Been to aloft New York Brooklyn? Share your experiences!