“Nice boutique hotel but will probably not stay here again.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
Shanghai, China
“Nice boutique hotel but will probably not stay here again.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Reading the below review was like reading about my exact experience. We were in the city for a wedding and ended up here because affordable hotels were sold out in the city. We’ve stayed at Alofts in other cities and have had great experiences. Although last weekend was OK, we probably won’t be coming back to this location.

Our likes:
a. Clean bedroom/bathroom
b. Good amenities: coffee maker; Bliss shampoo/conditioner/body wash
c. Convenient location to subway

Our dislikes:
a. Bed frame: A design issue, or just our clumsy selves? I don’t know but my husband and I (on completely separate occasions) banged our shins on the end frame. It’s wider than the bed and sticks out so when you’re walking by (and you think where the bed ends), it’s easy to bump into it. I got a nasty cut and bruise.

b. Loud neighbors early in the morning: children were playing/screaming/running around; adults loudly speaking/walking up and down hall; doors opening and closing.

c. Light above our sink did not work.

d. Fire alarm: Though, we appreciate the safety and awareness, nowhere in the fire director’s announcement was there an apology for a late night awakening.

e. Scarce yellow cabs: We asked the front desk for a cab, and the answer for one was a black car. I was expecting a yellow cab but they pointed to the line of black cars waiting outside. A flat rate of $35 excluding tip!!!! If we weren’t in a rush to get to a wedding in the city and transporting crazy amounts of luggage, we would’ve gone down the street to hail our own.

f. No room service (sorry a sandwich café doesn’t quite cut it.)

Overall, the hotel provided what we needed - a place to stay. But I wouldn't brag about the experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, September 10, 2011
Dear Anonymous,

Well, I am truely sorry we didn't meet your expectations during your stay. You did state that you have stayed at other alofts in the past. Our rooms are identical in design and appearance including the bed frame and not having room service. I would though like to apologize for the light over your sink. I have posted this in other reviews and there is also a note in all our rooms that due to a recall, all the lighting over the sinks have been discconnected due to a manufacture recall. We are following safe protocol and doing as advised. I do apologize and can tell you that new lighting will be installed next week.

As for the transportation provided, since we are in Brooklyn, getting a yellow cab is at most times, very difficut since they are more predominant in Manhattan. For our guests convenience we have asked a car service company to handle all transportation requests when a guest is not able to get a cab locally.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. The aloft brand is definately unique and sounds like you would have preferred a full-serive hotel located in Manhattan. I am sorry we didn't meet your requirements.

Best Reagrds,
Karl E. Baugher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

We stayed at Aloft for a Saturday night while in the city. The majority of guests appeared to be in their 30's, which led me to believe that we were in for a loud night. To the contrary, the stay was quiet and provided exactly what we needed--a clean, wll-appointed place to hang our hats for 7 hours. The hotel is easy to reach either by car (very close to both the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges) or subway (multiple stops on the #3 train within 3-5 blocks of the hotel). The lobby is much more compact than it appears in the pictures on the website, and does stay true to the 30-something lifestyle--things are happening everywhere. However, the room in which we stayed (2 double beds) was much larger than the normal NYC hotel room. The bathroom was very modern and functional (though we did have difficulty in determing which light switches controlled which lights). Valet parking ($39/night) can be added to the room and our car request in the morning was serviced very promptly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear MDFriars,

We appreicate you taking the time to write your review on our brand new Aloft Hotel in Brooklyn. Glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for comparing us to the other Manhattan Hotels. We are a bit bigger then the typical NYC hotel rooms and our lobby is definately used by our guests. Something is always going on in all our spaces.

Thanks again for writing a great review on your stay and best wishes for a great end of summer.

Nice, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I've stayed in Aloft Brooklyn for 10 nights 3 weeks ago. I've been in NYC 3 times, and this is the fist time I've booked a hotel out of Manhattan, since the price was very cheap, comparing to 3/4 stars midtown hotels.
My first fear was the location: well the hotel is definitely not located in a very glamorous area (Downtown Brooklyn), but i've never felt unsafe, even late nights. There are many stores around for shoppping (Aéropostale, Macy's, lots of shoes stores, ...), trendy restaurants on Smith street, Junior's and their famous cheescakes ... everything 10 min walk max. There are also lots of train station all around, so the hotel is basically about 10 min from Financial District, 15 min from SoHo and 20 min from Times Square, which is very convenient.
Let's talk about the hotel: my first impression was very positive, the lobby is very well designed, modern, and the staff at the front desk were very friendy, helpful, and available. It was very nice to see such friendly faces and welcomed cheerfully after a 9 hours flight from France (especially Nicole).
The room : big enough for a solo traveler (and way bigger than most Manhattan hotels), design furnitures and showers, comfortable bed and pillows, HD TV - and most important very clean (it was made every day), and I really appreciated I had free water bottles and daily newspaper every day. It was also very calm, I was on 14th floor. The only low point is the closet, too small to put all my clothes.
To resume among all hotels I've stayed in NYC Aloft was definitely the best. I've read some mixed reviews, especially about the service, I had such a great experience with Aloft that I'm wondering if I stayed at the same hotel as other reviewers ... LOL

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear Cedric,

What a great review on our hotel. Thank you so much for taking the time out of you day to write and letting everyone know what a great stay you had. The aloft brand is truely unique and not everyone "gets it". I'm so happy to see and hear you did.

Thanks for your business and please, if your travel takes you to the NYC area again, we'd love to welcome you back as a return and happy guest.

Ohio, US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We had booked a long weekend at the aloft Brooklyn and despite the possibility of the hurricane Sunday we flew in Thursday and had a great two days. The hotel staff were very helpful (someone at the front desk helped charge up our friends Blackberry when she didn't have a charger). The hotel definitely isn't for everyone (I am guessing the Sheraton next door suites more traditional hotel tastes) but we really liked the vibe of the hotel, the room while small is designed real well and is very nice, the bed was pretty comfortable as well. The light over the sink is being recalled I overheard on check in (and doesn't work) so the sink area is kinda dark, but I assume they will be replacing these in the near term. Free internet in NYC is a great perk and we put it to good use rebooking our early travel home in advance of the MTA shutdown. Hotel staff were really helpful getting our stay changed. The hotel is super close to a couple different subway stops and getting into lower manhattan is real quick and easy. The street the hotel is on might be off putting to some due to the area being a bit up and coming but the street seemed pretty well traveled and we didn't feel unsafe walking around the hotel's neighborhood. We plan to rebook and finish up the rest of our trip soon.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We were in Aloft between 8/21-9/01.Check ın was very quick.Front desk,house keeping was really nice.If you will see a gentleman running around and taking care of everything in the lobby be sure that he is the Gen.manager.Location was good easy access to subway.The only thing that was not perfect was that Hurricane Irene which took away two days of our holiday and prevented to explore NYC a lot more..

Room Tip: Ask for hıgher floors as we did,they will sure answer..
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear NCA-Instanbul,

I definately remember you and thanks for stopping by my office and talking with me. I'm so sorry about the Hurricane while you were here. I'm hoping my staff made you and your family as comfortable as possible given the storm. Please let me know if your travels take you back state side anytime soon. We'd love to have you back as a guest.

And thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, we really appreciate it too. Hoping you and yours were able to make it back home safe and sound.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Aloft is a trendy hotel for those travellers that not only want to experience New York but also for those that want to RELAX in the city! Upon entry you are greeted with chic decor, groovy tunes, and the lastest of sports and news scroll over the elevators! This place was such a cool spot for my recent business trip to New York. It is conveniently located in the heart of Brooklyn a real New York experience! The rooms are AWESOME so neatly put together organized and COMFORTABLE! I personally LOVED the shower that has shampoo and shower gel dispensers for your bathing pleasure...LOL! Yes the walls are slightly thin and you can hear some sounds but they are very minor and when you lay on the bed... can you say HEAVEN!!! OMG, I swear I haven't slept that good in months! There is complimentary high speed internet throughout the hotel, a bar downstairs that serves drinks and there is a rooftop lounge that I never made it to because the lines we're so long. If I wanted to complain about something it would be the fact that guest don't have special access to the lounge. This hotel was very clean and I felt safe as a single female traveller. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to New York ! Thanks ALOFT I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Book online and be sure to use your Starwood Preferred Guest Card
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Ms Covington,

Wow, thank you so much for a great review here on tripadvisor. We really appreciate your feedback and want to thank you for taking the time out to write it. Sorry about you being able to hear through the walls. Please accept my apologies for that aspect of your stay.

Glad you loved the hotel and would definately appreciate your business in the future.

Los Angeles, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Customer Service upon initial check in:
The service could have been better, I felt like I was a bother and annoyed them. This area gave me a poor first impression of what I believed the Aloft stood for. They failed for me here.

Room:
The room was nicely appointed, the bed was comfortable and the air worked well. The shower was clean and hot. The vanity mirror light was out which I was notified of .I felt like it was not enough light for me to do makeup,but I made it work.

Hotel service:
I called the 800 number before I arrived at the hotel and asked if refrigerators were available, I was told they are in every room and once I arrived this was not the case they are in limited quantities and are on a first come first serve basis. I was also a bit disappointed by the fact that I had to recheck in, I extended my stay an extra day because all flights were cancelled due to hurricane Irene. They made me come back down to the desk and redo everything which was odd, but I complied. I was not a happy guest in the first 24 hours upon being there, I felt ignored and un-welcomed. However that feeling changed when I was greeted with a great smile and warm welcome at the front desk from Kameo, he was awesome. He is was service is about, despite my ranting he remained calm and collected and helpful. He assisted with directions and never made it seem as if i was taking up his time and I am forever grateful for that. He is an example of what customer service should be.

Housekeeping:
All members of this team were Awesome, friendly, warm and caring about the guest. This department shined, Chris went above his duty to help me. He himself was a guest/worker in the hotel due to Irene and he never complained once. He just assisted everyone and tried to make us all as comfortable as possible considering we were all stuck in the hotel until the storm passed. His hard work should not go unrecognized.

Parking
I paid $33 per day for valet and never got valet service beside the first time, I was self parking and paying valet rates . I was even charged $33 when the entire city of NYC was shut down, no tolls, no nothing and I was still charged. That was a rip off.

Location
This hotel is in a great location, but be careful of the directions if you are driving....it can be tricky. The hotel is close to shopping, food, subways...and appeared safe at night as well.

Misc.
They have snacks in the hotel, free internet in the rooms and they have BLISS products which was nice. The gym was small but well equipped in my opinion , it had all the essential equipment. They also have a small terrace that connects to a small pool shared with the Sheraton next door.

In essence my stay, which started off terrible ended up memorable. Kameo and Chris made my first trip to NYC wonderful with their acts of professionalism and going above and beyond for the guest they service. Hospitality is something that should never be overlooked or undermined.
I shall return to this hotel the first week November ( I have booked already) so hopefully when I check in again, I am greeted properly and treated like a real guest this time. I must also say that during the Hurricane the staff remained calm and I felt safe during it all. With all that said, I say job well done guys and I hope to see you soon.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
Dear Meechie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay here with us. I believe I may have talked to you in the lobby as well and you expressed your concerns. I do appreciate that and wanted to thank you for mentioning Kameo and Chris both. I will make sure they know you wrote about them.

Also, thanks for booking again. I hope this time around when you check in you are thrilled completely with your stay.

Best Regards for a great holiday weekend and we'll see you in a couple months.

Thanks
Karl E. Baugher

Been to aloft New York Brooklyn? Share your experiences!