“Awesome hidden gem in Brooklyn!” 4 of 5 stars

AAA Special -Save 10%
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Awesome hidden gem in Brooklyn!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I typically stay at chain hotels in NYC because I like my points and you just never know what you're going to get from some of the boutiques, but due to the location decided to try the Nu.

So glad I did! It's a cute little boutique with lots of great features and provided a comfortable stay. The location is excellent (within 3 blocks of the F, D, A and C train) and it was easy to catch a yellow or luxury cab or hop on one of the complimentary bikes the hotel provides. The room was spacious (SO hard to find in NYC) and had cute little artistic touches, including a mural in the main room and a chalkboard paint wall in the bathroom (I had a blast with that one). The hotel gym was sufficient for my workout and 24 hrs which was a plus. They also offered room service, had a great minibar (well alcohol wise) and had a cute lounge on the main floor. On Wednesdays, they have live music (which got a bit too loud) from 7-9PM and each morning starts with a complimentary breakfast and (major plus) hot cookies throughout the day.

The only downside of the trip was the fact there was a hair (not mine) in my bed, but housekeeping changed the sheets quickly and apologized profusely. Then, without prompting, the conceirge Shannen took a % off my room fee and offered me complimentary cocktails in the lounge.

All in all, if your travels take you to Brooklyn, I highly recommend the Nu.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thanks for the great review! It's really nice to get a review like this from such an experienced traveler, especially with the branded hotels. Please accept my apologies for the Housekeeping concern. Certainly not something you should expect to see at our hotel. Great to hear the team took responsibility and made things right for your stay. Service Recovery is everything for us. We know at times things may happen and it's how we respond that will set us apart from other properties. Thanks for noticing our efforts! We hope to see you again really soon and I will share you comments with Shannon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Jamestown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I have to travel to Brooklyn frequently for business & have been looking for a nice hotel with easy access to the trains. I love that the hotel is "Green", that there is no carpeting in the rooms, and the location of the hotel! The staff was super friendly and the quiet room I had on the fourth floor was blissfully quiet for sleeping. Also, there are so many restaurants in walking distance to the hotel- all this makes it nice for someone traveling alone who wants the energy of the city and safety too!

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
Green Features: Loved the cork floors, comfy beds & pillows, eco friendly toiletries, recycling bin in the room & minimal printed materials. No allergy issues- AWESOME!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thanks for the fantastic review of your experience! Aside from the hotel one of the best amenities we have is our location. This is where true New Yorkers and Brooklynites live. The shopping scene in the day and dining scene at night are like no other. I'm pleased you enjoyed your experience at NU and in Brooklyn. Sounds like we'll be seeing you soon!
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hotel is close to the subway, Close to Smith and Court Street for convenience to great dining, and in a nice safe neighborhood. The rooms are stark and a bit worn in terms of needing paint and a little TLC to restore to a grander time. Our price was more than this hotel was worth and not much difference from Manhattan when all was said and done and travel costs to the city were accounted for. It was clean, convenient, and the staff was very friendly. That being said, I will find a more updated hotel for future visits.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thanks for writing a review about your experience. Please accept my apologies for not 100% meeting your expectations. I would like to note that we are undergoing a complete property refresh/renovation in January 2014. I agree that it's time and through feedback like this it justifies the owners investment. We look to add a little color into the room along with all new drapes, bed, furniture, hardwood flooring and significant technology upgrades like FIBER internet access (highest speed on the market), bluetooth audio clock radios and energy efficient air conditioning system. I'd be happy to share the renderings with you so you can see what we have planned. You can reach me at gm@nuhotelbrooklyn.com. When ready to give us another opportunity please feel free to reach out to me directly. I'd welcome the opportunity to recover your trust in our service and product.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

While this hotel has very nice large rooms, my experience in trying to sleep in one of them was not good. When I checked in, the hotel was full and my room on the 2nd floor was above some kind of activity that sounded like an assembly line with massive "kerplunks" as something heavy dropped to the floor every 15 seconds. I asked to switch rooms, but there were none to be had. The noise ended around 1 AM but resumed at 6 in the morning. The desk clerks said they had no idea as to where the noise was coming from, but refused to send someone up to verify it or locate its source.

Room Tip: higher floors may be better, but I'll never know since I won't be back
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience. This is disappointing to hear. Our goal is always to provide a memorable experience but obviously in a positive nature. I'm puzzled to hear about this noise. I know we certainly were not doing any late night work. Perhaps it may have been other tenants in the building (we're connected to private condos). Nevertheless I will review the concern with the Chief Engineer and do what we have to do to correct the problem. I truly hope you give us another opportunity in the future. Please reach out to me so I can personally arrange your next visit. I'd also like to offer some type of compensation for the inconvenience. You should not pay full price for a restless night. You can reach me at gm@nuhotelbrooklyn.com. Again, please accept my sincere apologies. I look forward to hearing from you.
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were looking forward to our stay in the NU Hotel but after a friendly welcome, it didn´t meet the expectations.
Location is good, staff was friendly and helpful in the beginning, but the room was more average than what you expect for a modern boutique hotel.

But the last day there really was disappointing. First we woke up at 9:15 am because room service went from door to door knocking to see who was still in his room (on a sunday morning...), which specially made sense since we would leave that day and either we were gone and the reception would be able to know, either not and it wouldn´t make any sense to "refresh" the room... And after trying to sleep again we had to hurry after arriving at the breakfast buffet at 10:40 (officially opened until 11 am) because a group from a wedding would have reserved the room after that, sothat everything was carried away and by 10:50 there was nothing left except for coffee. That´s not what you expect for a sunday morning in this kind of hotel.
So maybe it´s just a one time thing, but unfortunately being in Brooklyn is also not a daily thing when you come from far away. Disappointing experience, even if the rest of our stay in Brooklyn was fantastic.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. This is equally disappointing for us as it was for you. We sincerely put our best efforts forward with every interaction with our guests. It appears you enjoyed your overall experience with the exception of Housekeeping knocking on the door and breakfast not being available 10 minutes before 11AM. It's unfortunate these experiences soured your overall impression. I'm not one for excuses so I will not provide any. We will take this feedback and learn from it. Rest assured we have followed up with the Housekeeping and Food & Beverage team to ensure these type of concerns do not occur again. We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you son in Brooklyn.
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Loved our first visit to Brooklyn-and the location of the NU hotel was perfect for big time walkers.
A women at the front desk when found out that we love to walk, advised us to walk to the new Brooklyn Bridge park and it was terrific, we even decided to walk the bridge. I would definitely
recommend this hotel for the nice staff, well appointed room and location. Nearly forgot to say that Smith street and Atlantic are amazing streets to eat and shop.

Green Features: I was impressed with the very green practices that they had instituted-love it!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the great review! Brooklyn is certainly a walkers, runners and bikers paradise. Fantastic views of Manhattan from Brooklyn Bridge Park. I'm pleased you were able to experience it! We look forward to having you back as our guest real soon!
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

After years when visiting New York City meant Manhattan, we were lured by a concert at the new Barclay Center to venture across the East River and spend a night in Brooklyn. We chose the Nu Hotel based primarily on its proximity (about a mile) from the Barclay Center. The hotel is also convenient to “downtown Brooklyn” and its shopping. The hotel is additionally located a few walking minutes from several subway stops, and you can get you to Times Square in less than a half hour. A taxi ride to midtown Manhattan would be pretty pricy; the cost would be a bit less so, maybe $20 or so to lower Manhattan.
We drove in from Connecticut, and found the hotel easy to find. You take exit 27 off I-278 (the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, BQE) follow the signs to Atlantic Avenue, and in about a mile take a left onto Smith St. The hotel is the third door from the corner, and we missed it the first time. There is parking just to the left of the entrance, with a reasonable overnight rate (no in and out) of $25.
The hotel strives for a boutique, urban hip atmosphere. The sparse check-in desk was staffed by a jeans-clad receptionist. There were some welcoming cookies. We had booked a queen ($275), a room rate that was relatively modest compared to other good hotels in Brooklyn. When we check in, we were pleased to be told we had been upgraded to a suite. Alas, that upgrade was less than it might seem. The presumably somewhat larger area of the suite was taken up mostly by a small round table with a couple of Danish modern chairs and a two-tier bunk bed. The chairs reflect the general modern décor with lots of white, black, chrome, etc. We did not venture into the bunk bed, but the king was very confortable, and good linens, lots of pillows, and a bolster good for TV watching. The TV was mounted on the wall at a good height for watching, but, the lower right corner was obscured by a light fixture hanging from the ceiling.
The prison-grey enamel on the bunk bed also, probably unintentionally, picked up the view from our window, which was right across from the massive (block square, 10 stories high) Brooklyn Detention Center and its barred windows and razor wire fencing along roof areas. This bit of urban reality show, at least to us, added to the urban cool of the hotel. Certainly, it presented no security threat. The center and the adjacent and equally massive Brooklyn Central Court are attended by a small army of corrections and police officers, making are area probably one of the safer locations in the city.
Even as a suite, the room was only moderate in size, but it was clean and fairly well appointed with a desk in addition to the table and chairs. The bathroom was fairly spacious, had nice toiletries, lots of good towels. Also good was that there as a separate toilet area with door. The shower was a mixed bag. On the upside, it was a large walk-in. The showerhead was mounted on the ceiling, which gives a relaxing rain-shower effect, but is less effective for getting clean and rinsed off, especially in those “spots,” then is a traditional wall shower mount with a bit more water pressure. On the downside, the control for the shower was on the wall opposite the entry. This meant that you had to stand under the showerhead to turn the water on. Even if you guessed the temperature setting correctly, you inevitably got a shot of cold water on the head before the warm water replaced the water than had cooled in the pipes. If you did not get the setting right, that meant you had to stand in the cascading water fiddling with the control and hoping not to freeze or scald yourself. Another shower drawback was the lack of any handholds. Especially for senior citizens, this presents something of a safety issue.
We generally liked the hotel, but there are other good ones in the borough, and when we return to Brooklyn, our choice of lodging will be based more on our agenda rather than making the Nu Hotel a destination hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thanks for the detailed review! This is the second positive review in a row from such an experienced traveler and TripAdvisor reviewer. I appreciate your open-mindedness on our proximity to the holding facility. We agree that it has somewhat of a positive side effect with all of the security and police in the neighborhood. Oddly, we've even had guest inquire if there were tours of the facility! Nevertheless we march on and continue to strive and be the best hotel in Brooklyn. The honest details given in your review truly speak to our culture at the hotel and in Brooklyn. I'm really pleased to read this and will certainly be sharing it with the entire team. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the near future. Please do hesitate to reach out to me personally so I can help arrange your next visit. Thanks again for the comments!

Been to NU Hotel? Share your experiences!