“Quiet stay in Brooklyn” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Quiet stay in Brooklyn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I was in town for work and decided instead of staying in Manhattan, I would stay in Brooklyn this time around. I'm glad I made the choice. When I checked in, it seemed they were kind of short staffed, but the staff was so pleasant and helpful that I didn't mind waiting a little while. The room was very clean, well lit, and had all the amenities I appreciate (iron, ironing board, in-room safe, iPod dock/radio, TV, plenty of plugs and a good thermostat). A random thing that I really liked was the chalkboard wall in my bathroom. You can write or draw on it with the chalk provided. That kind of spoke to the kid in me. Anyway, the continental breakfast is really good, there were enough choices that you would definitely be able to have a healthy breakfast that will keep you full. Fresh fruit, bagels, boiled eggs, instant oatmeal packets, yogurt, apple/orange juice, coffee, tea, granola bars, and cereal were available each day.

The hotel is close to several subway lines. I do recommend that you take a good look at a map just so you know which way you're going. It is close to the A, C, G line at Hoyt-Schermerhorn station. It is also within walking distance to the Borough Hall-Court Street stop on the 2,3,4,5,N, R. Now when I say close I do mean a few blocks. You have to keep in mind that in New York, close doesn't mean right outside the door. You may have to walk up one block and then walk over another block or two. It's not a big deal....3-5 minute walk. With that being said though, Brooklyn is such a cool borough that you may not want to even take the subway to Manhattan. Walking around Brooklyn can be a day well spent as well.

I found the staff to be extremely helpful and quick to assist. I was in my room and accidentally hit the wrong button on the television which led to it losing the cable signal and picking up a different input signal. Anyway, I called the front desk and a maintenance guy was at the door within five minutes. Of course he just had to press the right button to get it back on track, but the fast response was appreciated. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thanks for the very detailed review about your experience at NU and Brooklyn! The review sums up all the great things about our hotel and the neighborhood. You can't find a better place in Brooklyn...or NYC :) We look forward to having you back again in the near future!!

536 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Affordable boutique hotel in Brooklyn two block from the F and G train and three blocks from the A train providing quick access to Manhattan at half the Manhattan prices. Beds were comfortable, free wifi, and free continental breakfast made for a nice stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Location, convenience and price is Brooklyn's secret! You figured it out! Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience. We hope to see you return in the near future!
Swampscott, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just a great spot, small but really special. Good continental breakfast in am. King rooms preferred as in courtyard. Sparse furniture., but fine. I love Brooklyn and very easy to get into city. We had problem with noise in first room, and they moved us up 2 floors with no problem. Staff can be hard to find, but very helpful when you do. Very close to great Brooklyn restaurants on Smith street and easy walk to Brooklyn Bridge.

Room Tip: King rooms in courtyard
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for the review! I'm pleased to hear that we were able to turn your initial experience (noise) around in to an overall positive stay. We'll certainly do a better job of being available all the time for our guests. No excuses there. We hope you will visit us again in the near future!
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have stayed at the NU hotel several times. We enjoy staying there and like the amenities. The morning breakfast is very nice. Warm cookies and tea greet us in the afternoon. There is a good gym in the basement with enough machines. I especially like how hard they work to make things right. Seriously, you just need to ask them to fix something and they do. The location is great for Brooklyn. I always stay at the NU now when I go to Brooklyn.

Room Tip: We have not had a bad room yet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the outstanding review! It's always nice to hear from one of our regulars. We work very hard on Service Recovery. Things will inevitably go wrong. It's how we respond to them is what sets our hotel apart. Some great news to share - by the end of the month we are further upgrading our breakfast offerings AND we are installing brand new 42in LED HD TV's! Our guests have spoken and we're listening :) Look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I chose this hotel due to its proximity to the home of friends I was visiting.

The room was palatial, especially by NY standards (even Brooklyn)...but then I realized that I was situated a room for the handicapped, so I suspect that other rooms are not perhaps so spacious.

The staff, (when available, which was not always) were nice enough, but check in took nearly half an hour (while the single gentleman available dealt with other guests).

The room itself was unpleasantly spare, with a view I could have gotten in my native Ohio (a backyard, essentially). All in all, it was antiseptic with a complete lack of any character.

My only real complaint involved check out. I ordered a car with the manager at the front desk, and told her that I would have to visit an ATM to get cash before she called.She informed me that the service accepted plastic, and the car arrived. Upon arrival at the airport, however, the driver was none too happy when I presented my Visa. He informed me that the hotel was to have informed the service at the time of booking of the payment arrangements and request a pre-payment. He then made me scour the terminal for an ATM (with my bag still in his car), which was futile, and ended up in a lengthy string of phone calls which threatened to make me miss my flight.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for taking the time to write about this experience. This is exactly the type of feedback we need to get better at what we do. I'm not one for excuses so I won't give one. We clearly could have communicated better with you and the vendors involved. We have shared this review with the entire team at NU. We're getting everyday. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to show you what we're really all about.
Media, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We drove to NY to help our friends who were devastated by Sandy and to see what damage had been done to our home. After a long day of emotions and hard work, we came to see our son who was displaced from his Lower East side home to the hotel. We were lucky that there was a cancellation so that we could spend the night with heat and light.
The staff at this hotel are exemplary ~ very concerned for all their guests ~ many of whom were in our situation as well.
The lounge cocktails were unusual and delicious! Breakfast was not only included, it contained many healthy choices. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable.
Did I mention the staff? - Yes. They were great.

Room Tip: This hotel is located in an interesting section of Brooklyn, lots of shopping and restaurants just n...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the fantastic review! We're so pleased we were able to help you during this time of need. We sincerely did everything we can for as many people as we can. Our hotel, as you know, was not affected as much by the storm. We used this to our advantage and tried to provide a safe and comfortable place for those in need. You'll have to come back and visit us again!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We'd stayed at the NU Hotel once before, and didn't think twice before booking there again on our recent visit to Brooklyn. It was another pleasure to stay there, and we'll gladly stay there again, I'm certain.

There were a few small hiccups during our stay, but nothing much to really fuss over.

• Our television did not work properly (volume controls were erratic), and a call to have it fixed or at least looked at was never honored.

• Key cards were constantly being disabled, requiring sometimes multiple daily visits to the front desk for replacement.

Other than those minor inconveniences, we truly enjoyed our stay at the NU hotel, and would strongly recommend it to anyone visiting Brooklyn. The location is incredibly convenient to anywhere you want to go in Brooklyn, and the staff are helpful and friendly.

Since we were in town for an event at the very nearby Barclays Center with many out-of-town friends, we knew about ten other couples staying there as well. They also had nothing but good things to say about the NU, and will also be making return trips to stay there.

Room Tip: You have to go for the Suites...they're just so COOL! Other rooms, while also stylish and very...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the detailed review about your experience! Your concerns with TV's and Keys are noted and do not fall on def ears. We are actually installed new 42in LED TV's in ALL rooms in January 2013. The entire project should be completed by the end of the month. We had noticed several concerns with TV's over the last few months and decided it was time for an upgrade/refresh. This will 100% resolve all TV concerns in the hotel. We have also worked with our room key vendor to minimize/eliminate the concern with keys. We also take guest feedback very seriously and will do whatever we can to correct the concerns. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to NU Hotel? Share your experiences!