“Something fun for every kid” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 114 attractions in Brooklyn
Type: Children's Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A wonderful place to spend the day with the family, this museum houses a remarkable, kid-friendly collection of 20,000 cultural artifacts and natural history specimens, plus live plants and animals, and award-winning exhibitions.
New York City, New York
37 attraction reviews
“Something fun for every kid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have been members of Brooklyn Children's since my son learned to walk. Every year he discovers new favorite things to do when we go. It's by far the best thing to do with little kids on a rainy or snowy day in Brooklyn... it will keep them happy for hours and hours without fail. The cafeteria serves a variety kid-friendly food and has some packaged kosher options and snack machines as well. A bit overpriced as can be expected but not exorbitant. The only drawback is the lack of parking, amplified by the fact that it's a bit of a sketchy neighborhood. If you come by car, either come early or bring an extra adult to park while you take the kids inside. By train, I recommend taking the number 3 or 4 train rather than the A or C if you have a choice. Generally speaking it's best to go earlier in the day, especially in bad weather, as it does get very crowded and some of the exhibits can become fairly ravaged by the afternoon. If you have an under-5 that likes water, bring an extra shirt to change into as there is a great but messy water play area. Has reciprocal membership with ASTM and ACM.

Visited June 2012

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Really great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Your children and grandchildren will love this place. They can have hands on experiences. Staff is knowledgeable.

Visited November 2011
Brooklyn, New York
20 attraction reviews
“AMAZING!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

THIS PLACE IS AMAZING! Hidden away deep in a beautiful residential neighborhood next to beautiful Brower Park, just one mile from Grand Army Plaza, in the Heart of Brooklyn cultural hub.145 Brooklyn Avenue (at St. Marks Avenue), Brooklyn, NY 11213 of Brooklyn,

BCM is a fun, adventurous and family oriented destination. I visited with our Youth Association with some apprehension it would not appeal to the teens. I had nothing to be worried about, while designed for younger children, we all had fun from lie size models, the library and my favorites the Hissing Cockroaches and the giant yellow Boa Snake! It was awesome with an abundance of hands on working play and interest stations. The building is completely self contained and designed for young people to run, jump and climb all over everything. I felt secure that none of our 30 young people would be lost or in danger. The diverse staff were all happy, cheerful and ready to assist.

The Kids Cafe and lounge were reasonably priced. Food and drink may only be enjoyed in the Kids Cafe, not in the exhibit galleries. The Kids Cafe is open Tuesday through Thursday 10am-3pm, Saturday and Sunday 10am -4:30 pm. The KidShop is open Tuesday through Friday 11am-5pm, Saturday and Sunday 12pm-5pm.

We participated in the art class on the second floor in the spacious classrooms and the teens played around on the outdoor courts also on the second floor. The parents, teens and children all had a fantastic day and we have scheduled our next visit already!

I do agree that it can be a challenge to reach if you are not familiar with Brooklyn but it is well worth the effort for the entire family! Allow a minimum of 3 hours for the fun and excitement!
FALL HOURS

Wednesday: 10am-5pm
Thursday: 10am-5pm
Friday: 10am-5pm

FALL FREE HOURS
Admission to the Museum is free every third thursday of the month from 4:00–7:00pm and on the FIRST FULL WEEKEND of every month 2:00–5:00pm, except on holiday weekends. (Does not apply to school, camp, or other organized groups.)

ADMISSION
Admission is $9.00 per person.

Admission is free for Museum members and children under 1 year of age.

Annual family memberships offer FREE admission for 12 months, and are available beginning at $85.

Admission for camp groups and school groups with advance reservations is a discounted $6 per person.

Organizations planning a visit of 10 people or more are required to make an advance reservation to receive our discounted $6 per person rate. Please call 718-735-4400 x 118.

We are a Blue Star Museum! All military personnel (active or retired) with ID receive the discount of free family admission up to 6. Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian (16 years of age or over). Adults must be accompanied by a child 16 year of age or under.

Visited September 2012
21 attraction reviews
“Take your kids out to play on a rainy day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Visited on a rainy Wed- This place was packed! But we were able to find parking outside and maneuver our 2yo and 4yo inside without many problems. Much larger than what I expected.
Got in free because we are members of another ASTC childrens museum ( Discovery Place, Charlotte,NC).
Once inside, My kids made a beeline for toddler area. Waterplay and arts and crafts where expected hits, but unexpected surprises was the blue sparkly sand in the sand box that my 4yo fell in love with. She still talks about it till this day. I was a little worried when I saw it on her dress-but no worries.... it brushed right off.

We had to tear them away from this area in order to see the rest of the museum. I loved the interactive stores/shopes that represented the diverse cultures and neighborhoods of NYC. Even adults could learn a few things here. I liked the fact they made an effort to have input from actual neighborhood residents. Your child can dress up in African kente cloth or wear a replica chinese dragon's head mask. Its like giving your child a tiny cultural lesson without trekking through each of the NY neighborhoods.

Negatives are it has a bit of random feel. Some exhibits exist without a direct obvious relation to the one next to it. But I guess when you are a child, themes and continuity matter very little. Just learn something!

The inclined tunnel is one of the few ways you take your stroller between levels- which is a little annoying. The associated cafeteria leaves somethingto be desired. Besides these minor details, the kids loved it.

I probably would NOT reccomend it as a "must see". After all NY is teaming with one of kind and once in a lifetime things to see- but this is a wonderful back up plan to get the wiggles out of your kids when the brownstone/studio apt/hotel room is getting cramped and the rain clouds are hovering

Visited August 2012
Brooklyn, New York
15 attraction reviews
“a great place to take kids, especially in inclement weather”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

It has been re-done since I first went there 30 years ago. It was great when I took my kids and still great when I take my grandkids.

Visited March 2012