“Wow, so much to see” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 380 things to do in Brooklyn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in central Brooklyn, the second-largest art museum in New York City, and one of the largest in the United States, houses a prestigious collection of work from ancient Egyptian masterpieces to contemporary art covering almost every culture an art lover could dream of.
Rochester
37 attraction reviews
“Wow, so much to see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

A great museum with wide variety of art. We particularly the period rooms. If have time be sure to get the combo tickets with the Botanical Gardens which are next to it. Worth a day to see both.

• Indonesian first
Hyattsville, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
“Good museum and easy to get to”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I love that there is a subway stop right at the door of this museum, and that their outside entrance has benches and trees to enjoy before going inside. The building is one of the oldest museum in the US (dates back to early 1800s) but inside they have modernized it with a light-filled welcome area. They have permanent collections and new exhibits, and mix modern with classical, as well as not just painting but ornaments, furniture, artifacts and more from the US and other countries and cultures. I've been there more than once and they have new things all the time. Some exhibits are good and some I just don't get, but its fun to see them anyway.

Lubbock, Texas
72 attraction reviews
“Thursday 'til 10:00 p.m.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Ended our day in Brooklyn at the museum, since it's open until 10pm.
The Brooklyn Bridge painting by Georgia O'Keefe is quite interesting. The quilts currently on display were beautiful. Some of the American art was very disturbing.
I'm glad I went late and didn't take time away from other places that were more interesting that were already
closed.

Phoenix, Arizona
21 attraction reviews
“Evidently something for everyone...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Brooklyn Museum rivals any fine museum in the world. I know this is a review of the actual museum, but the works displayed should be noted as well, because that’s why we go to a museum, right?

The John Singer Sargent exhibit was very well done. Not only are his watercolors so finely executed I could almost hear the water in the streams rushing past, but the museum displayed them in a way that I could learn more about the artist and his technique. The Venice collection was superb. Kudos to Brooklyn and Boston for presenting this! It was gone too soon.

My favorite room is the Beaux-Art room featuring Monet and Rembrandt among others. The exhibit called “Workt by Hand:” Hidden Labor and Historical Quilts is inspiring. The Jan Martense Schenk house is amazing and interesting. This house was built in 1676, and the museum rebuilt it on the 5th floor (I think) so we could see what life was like 350 years ago.

Valerie Hegarty: Alternative Histories is a waste of time, and I would think, someone’s money. What this museum has done is sanctioned a work that does not portray history; rather an “alternative,” if history was different. Sure, Ms. Hegarty has an outlet for her “creativity,” but if we are to be nurturing an environment of learning for the many students taking field trips, shouldn’t we present history as it was? The architecture of these rooms and the furniture represent a time. Let’s not distract from the wealth of artifacts presented with an imaginary, ugly form of revisionism.

Most disturbing to me is The Dinner Party by Judy Chicago. Granted, this is my review, and therefore my opinion, but I thought you’d want fair warning about what to expect. The Dinner Party is a large triangular table situated in a triangular room. Each table setting supposedly represents an influential woman throughout history. (I say supposedly because Emily Dickinson, for one, would have been appalled. I’ve studied Ms. Dickinson while attending a women’s college, so I know all the feminism associated with this exhibit, but to degrade the individuals and geniuses whose names are on these place cards to a mere body part is disgusting.) On each plate is featured a female reproductive organ – an artist’s rendition so each one is unique. Given the large number of raves given this exhibit on this review site, you’d think the artist had done something groundbreaking and original, but no, it’s plate after plate of essentially the same thing - the female version of the phallic obsession. What a shallow, non-thought-provoking joke. You’d think I had tuned into Portlandia, but Ms. Chicago seems to take herself way too seriously.

Art can be edgy and controversial, yes! But I’d rather spend my time and money on truth, beauty and treasures of the past, not a superficial substitute of those.

A visit is worth a few hours of your day. As many people have commented, the “suggested contribution” of $12 is worth it. Pay less if you can’t afford it, pay more if you can so others can continue to enjoy art. The shop has a great selection. Easily reached by subway, but has parking (at a price) if you can drive. Right beside the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.

I lived in NYC for years, but this is my first time to this museum. It’s a shame that it is in the shadow of the Met. But then again, maybe that’s why The Brooklyn Museum features some of its baser exhibits; to get attention – it certainly wasn’t crowded when I was there on a Saturday afternoon.

Visited May 2013
New York
11 attraction reviews
“Great shows”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

They have some unusual shows here. You can go there on a weekend after the farmer's market close by.

Visited September 2012