“I won't stay there again” 3 of 5 stars

Westmark Fairbanks Hotel and Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   813 Noble Street, Fairbanks, AK 99701-4977   |
Ranked #9 of 24 hotels in Fairbanks
Stoughton, Wisconsin
“I won't stay there again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Read the other reviews and know this: If you're staying at the Westmark through a "tour", you'll have a room in the newer part of the hotel. If not, you'll be in the older rooms.

We were in a newer room, but I was still unimpressed. The layout of room made it necessary to move some furniture to get our bags in. The furnishings were cheap and the veneer was chipping off. The blankets and sheets were very coarse and made for an uncomfortable sleep. The bathroom set up was awkward and the toilet flushes were so loud you could hear the flushes from the other rooms.

I gave it an "average" review because it wasn't necessarily dirty, and the room was good sized. But I still would not want to reserve a room there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

304 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

On first arrival the place seemed nice. Then we made our way to our room. The rooms were clean but no ventalation in the bathrooms. Weied smells when it got steamy. Noisy. Both nights we had laughing screaming kids & barking dogs outside our door until 1am or so. The walls are so thin it sounded like they were in our room. The elevator & halls were gross. I think it was blood smeared around the elevator doors on both floors. Saw housekeeping in the area. Not once did they try to clean it. First room the tub wouldnt drain. The front desk gave us a hassle about switching rooms. The breakfast was very disappointing. Westmark is off the list for good after this trip.

• Stayed April 2013
Central, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed up late nightly watching the northern lights so would sleep in a bit in the mornings. Tuesday March 12th house keeping knocked on the door starting at 8 am. 3 times we said not now. We then put up the do not disturb sign on our door from 9-11 ish. We took it off when we left the room and saw house keeping on the floor. We returned to our room after 2 am after watching the northern lights again. When we returned our room wasn't touched! I called to the front desk and they said oh if you put up the sign do not disturb they write off your room and don't clean it. She also said house keeping works till about 4 pm. I asked for more towels and at that hour they came up with towels but no washcloths. They refused to admit it was a poor policy and never did they even hinted at an apology. They stated it was my fault for using the sign. I've stayed in many hotels and never have seen this policy. I feel I was treated poorly by the staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kotzebue, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Westmark is located "downtown" Fairbanks and conveniently located. I thought it was a historical Fairbanks hotel and thus had more "character" than others in town, but this was not the case. I doubt it's the "best hotel in Fairbanks." It was busy with tons of random groups of people hanging out in the lobby, even at 4am when I was checking out. The room was clean, but bed was uncomfortable and blankets were old and dated. The staff were polite, but not friendly. When I called the Front Desk to ask a question. they were polite, but seemed to be wondering why I was calling them. Kind of weird. I stayed for three nights and although it wasn't entirely bad, I wouldn't stay here again. I'd rather pay a little more money for a more comfortable bed and updated decor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Tok, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel was clean .. Staff was friendly ... but no Refig or microwave in room ... We had a pet room, but no place to walk the dogs except the parking lot .. it is right on one of the main roads so there is alot of traffic and the city bus line comes threw the parking lot

Room Tip: get a room on one of the higher floors to cut down on the traffic noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Anchorage, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I chose the Westmark Fairbanks because advertizements made it sound like the prefect place to stay during my trip. I was terribly disappointed. First, the Westmark does not offer an airport shuttle while many other local hotels do -- it's pointed out that one can take a cab or get off at the bus terminal and walk several blocks to the hotel. Second, the Westmark is terribly noisy -- both nights I was continuously awakened by doors slamming, running and shouting in the hall, barking dogs, young kids squealing, and commotions in the parking area. (Security did not patrol and only responded when I called the front desk to complain.) Third, the residence area carpets are worn and the elevator areas unkempt. Forth, the Westmark's Red Lantern is terribly pricey and some items are not available even though they remain on the menu. Fifth, the Westmark offers free wireless internet -- but only if you sit in the hallway outside the elevators or use the hotel's computer stations.
Now for the good parts. First, the Westmark has a lovely spacious lobby and conference area. Second, the front desk staff were friendly and efficient. Third, the rooms are adequate. Forth, the Westmark offers a wonderful continental breakfast.
All in all, I'd suggest skipping the glitz and opting for a hotel with more substance.

Room Tip: The hotel is "L" shaped and the parking area sits in the middle of that "L". Sou...
Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The Westmark is probably the nicest hotel in Fairbanks, at least right in the city itself. The hotel is very clean and the staff is fairly nice. Service in Alaska is def. not what it is in the lower 48..... there is a "not anywhere else to go" attitude when going to hotels up here, but they are really nice here. The rooms are very comfortable and they offer free wifi (which is horribly slow). TV's are outdated (not flat screen etc). I believe that the hotel has been recently renovated, and it shows. The rooms are very clean and updated. The beds comfortable and the bathrooms are gorgeous. Make sure to ask for a higher floor though.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay on the 2nd floor. Many of the rooms only have a view of the awning.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Westmark Fairbanks Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!