“A Rare Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anschen Log House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairbanks
Anschen Log House
You added Anschen Log House to your Saves list
1260 Heldiver, Fairbanks, AK 99709   |
Ranked #4 of 44 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
bethel, alaska
“A Rare Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Impeccable, charming, exquisite, engaging, entertaining, peaceful, scrumptious, and completely Alaska are all an understatement. The Anschen Log House is definitely not for those who are seeking just a place to sleep in between day trips. I have stayed globally for the past 10 years at bed & breakfasts, and the Anschen Log House is undeniably at the top of my list, bar none. And I am particular. I stayed in the loft suite, and I literally melted into the bed each night. The sunrise views from the river can be breathtaking, depending upon the weather, and sunsets and the northern lights in Fairbanks are definitely one of a kind. I am an unfortunate (not by choice) vegan, so my diet is restricted, but Dawn went far beyond her call of duty to accommodate. All I can say is "she needs her own cooking show." :-) She will do whatever it takes to accomodate her guests' needs or wants. I definitely was spoiled and will go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I traveled to Fairbanks with the purpose of seeing the Aurora Borealis, but got so much more out of my trip by staying at the Anschen Log House. Dawn (the owner) made me feel right at home and gave me great suggestions of other things to see and do in the Fairbanks area. She and I watched the dog sled race finals in downtown Fairbanks. I was very comfortable in the Sarah Palin room, which was spacious and opened onto the outside deck. I loved going downstairs for breakfast in the dining room with it's awesome menu to choose from. Dawn and her husband have fixed up the log house to be both beautiful and comfortable and reflect their unique experience of living in Alaska. Best of all, Dawn would wake me up whenever the Aurora made an appearance and often stayed up to enjoy it with me (see photos). I definitely plan to return to the Anschen Log House!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Kona, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Having just returned home from my time in Fairbanks, I am finding my fondest memories are from moments experienced while on the property of Anschen House. The amazing huge log building, spacious room and very comfortable bed is reason enough to stay there. Add in the daily passing by of paddle wheel boats, sitting comfortably outside enjoying the the passing river, or inside visiting with Dawn and Sydney made for an experience I am eager to repeat. Oh and the bathroom!!!! By far the best B&B bathroom I have seen anywhere! Already looking forward to a repeat visit to Fairbanks next year and I will definitely attempt to stay here then.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

What a treasure find, if you are looking for a log cabin that makes you feel Alaskan, but you want all the amenities, this is your place! Dawn was a great hostess giving you information and very welcoming without being overbearing. She is pretty straight forward so she will be as involved or laid back as you are wanting. The house only has 2 rooms for rent so it will never be too crowded. The shared bathroom was nicely updated and breakfast was always delicious and filling. It is just outside of town which made it nice to do things locally, but get the country feel, not to mention the cabin is a great place to watch the lights. Dawn will even come and wake you if the lights are putting on a show, which they did and I got some great pics from her driveway. She even took me cross country skiing which I thought was a great touch. Dawn went above and beyond to make sure I had a great stay and plenty to do. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2013
Rotherham, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed in Anschen Log House for 6 nights at the end of February 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

We arrived at the house quite late on a Saturday night and Dawn (the owner) kindly upgraded our room as the superior room was free. Dawn continued to be a thoughtful and warm host throughout our stay and is a credit to B&Bs.

The accommodation is lovely and is located right next to the Chena River with lovely views. The building itself is a large timber log cabin with lots of character and very clean.

We were treated to a lovely homemade breakfast every morning and we particularly enjoyed the roasted fruit which accompanied the main dishes of which all were lovely (I particularly enjoyed the smoked salmon quiche).

Dawn lent us cross country skis and boots at no charge for using on the frozen river and even provided a small packed lunch when we went on the Arctic Circle Tour for the day (as she was worried that we would only have junk food on the trip).

We enjoyed talking with Dawn and received much helpful advice and interesting stories but felt that if we had not wanted to interact so much she would have politely let us be.

Overall, it was a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I work for a television production company and I was searching for a log cabin to film in for days, until I found Anschen Log House and talked to Dawn. It was everything we hoped for and much more. The beauty of the log cabin was breathtaking, and looked great on camera. Dawn was a terrific host, and couldn't have asked for a better person to work with. Dawn was incredibly accommodating and we had a great time staying there. It's a great location, only a few minutes from downtown Fairbanks. Staying here will give you the full Alaskan experience, and if you make it there say hello to Dawn, Paul, and Sydney for us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Northumberland, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This whole experience was unforgettable. This place shines like a beacon amongst many other wonderful B&Bs we stayed at but this was The Superlative! Lounging on the balcony in the last warm sun of the Fall, and watching the riverboat slowly wend its way past, was so peaceful and relaxing. The house is a beautiful home yet is a treasure trove of artefacts depicting the way of life and history of Alaska. But that's not the best of it - there's the lovely, knowledgeable Dawn (always cooking up delicious grub), who gives so much of herself and makes you feel so special. And not forgetting Sydney, a savvy parrot (female) who adds such character to the place. Sadly, we didn't get to see Paul but you never know... one day we might be lucky and get back? Only hope these fantastic reviews mean there won't be a bed for us!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are well appointed but the Palin room ticked all our boxes. It's a large, sunny, l...