“Mixed Feelings” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dale and Jo View Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairbanks
Dale and Jo View Suites
You added Dale and Jo View Suites to your Saves list
3260 Craft Ave, Fairbanks, AK 99709   |
Ranked #7 of 44 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Ohio
“Mixed Feelings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

First I will have to say this place is clean, comfortable and all around a very nice establishment. The breakfast we had was excellent. However, I cannot recommend this B&B because of the very strict cancellation policy it holds. I am a person who plans ahead. My husband and I had a retirement road trip planned from Ohio to Alaska and back. This was a 30+ day trip planned for the entire month of July into Aug. I made our reservations one by one during the winter months for the coming summer. I used Trip Advisor as my main guide to these reservations. After our reservations were made for 2 nights in Fairbanks, we read more info on The Top of the World road which we were planning on driving. Deciding this might be a very long drive that we would enjoy taking a bit slower we decided on a night in Tok, giving up one of our nights in Fairbanks to do this. Well, 5 MONTHS before our reservation date we changed from two nights to one night at Dale & Jo's. We were promptly charged over $50 in cancellation fees. I completely understand the need for cancellation policies, but we both felt this was entirely uncalled for. We still had a bad feeling about this when we checked in that July. My husband said something to Jo about the excessive cancellation policy and had a very frank discussion. She did, in her defense, refund the charge after seeing how unhappy we were about it. In all my reservations (and we have traveled a lot over the years), I have never come across a policy this strict. So in a nut shell I'd have to say, don't book very far ahead because once you do you are LOCKED IN. Personally we will not be staying there again for the cancellation policy is just WAY TOO STRICT! I understand these policies are to protect the B&B, but 5 months out being charged over $50 to change from 2 nights to 1 is totally uncalled for.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
trav2006, Owner at Dale and Jo View Suites, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
We understand that no one likes to pay a cancellation fee. There are two reasons B&Bs as well as hotels have them. There can be an unexpected event which prevents your trip. Trip insurance is created to cover this lost. More commonly, travelers over book because they really want to make sure they have the dates they need so they book more than they need. Then as their trip approaches and they review their travel plans they cancel the extra days. This leaves our B&B with fewer days to resell these rooms. We did not resell the nights cancelled by this guest party.
More than half our guests pre-book with us a year ahead. We always explain our cancellation policy which is posted on our website and reprinted on our confirmations. Most B&Bs have cancellations policies that require more notice and apply a higher fee than a hotel. Travelers who frequently stay at B&Bs expect this. There are accommodations in my area with more strict policies than ours because they want to discourage overbooking. It is a common problem here in Alaska where travelers make plans far ahead.
This guest party did tell me that they were aware of our cancellation policy when they made the reservation. They remembered that I discouraged them from booking the extra day. I cautioned them that they would be driving a long connecting trip. The husband insisted on making the booking anyway.
It is rare for us to wave our cancellation fee. As I talked with these guests it was clear that the wife was extremely angry. As I listened I came to realized that the person she was really mad at was her husband. He was in the dog house. This was very sad because it was their anniversary. As an anniversary present to them, we refunded the charge and, silently, to ourselves hoped she would forgive his foolish booking and enjoy her time with us. She did tell me in the morning that she had loved the bed and thoroughly enjoyed her breakfast.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Wellington, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Fairbanks in July 2012. We stayed at the Dale and Jo View Suites for 2 nights. It is an excellent B & B. The beds were comfy, the accommodations were clean and neat. We had a fabulous breakfast the first day. The second day we were up and out early to catch the train to Talkeetna and Jo made us a 'breakfast to go' that was perfect. I would highly recommend this as a place to stay while in Fairbanks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Union, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I am really bummed that Tripadvisor does not have a >5 star rating-because this place deserves that. it is amazing!. The views, the neatness of the room, the attention to detail, the cleanliness, the delicious breakfast, the warm hosts-all of them add up to a terrific experience. We were there for two nights (a couple) and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Slept like babies on the adjustable beds-enjoyed the excellent breakfast that Jo prepared for us-accommodating our vegetarian request. She also gave excellent tips for things to see around fairbanks.
I have stayed at many B&Bs before-but this one is overall the BEST by far. Highly Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Get the rooms on the lower level-they have a nice common area with a great view!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

First time I tried Dale and Joe's and I can sing nothing but praise. I was on a business trip and needed to start the day early and the anytime breakfasts were absolutley delicious. All homemade with generous portions. The rooms were clean and comfortable (sleep number beds!) and dark (a major plus in the summer!). When it's clear enough you have great views of the Alaska range. Definetly keep them on your short list if you are in Fairbanks.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Del Mar, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our one night stay in the beautifully decorated flower king room. Jo's attention to detail is superb and the breakfast was delicious. The view from the third floor room is gorgeous, leafy forest views from each window. Jo is an excellent guide on what to do and where to go in the Fairbanks area. You may want to consolidate your luggage if staying on the third floor, due to two steep stairways. Great place to stay.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
trav2006, Owner at Dale and Jo View Suites, responded to this review, May 26, 2012
We are delighted our guests enjoyed their stay and wish they could have had more than one night. It is true the Flower King Room is on the third floor which gives the panoramic views. To get to the third floor, the guest must go up 2 flights of stairs.

Our stairs were designed to make things easier for guests. Our outside and indoor stairs are extra wide, over 4 feet wide to accommodate luggage. Also both our outside and inside stairs were designed with a large mid-landing, over 9 ' wide to make it easier for guests.

We appreciate our guests taking the time to give us this review and hope they can come back and stay longer next time.
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I want to preface by saying that I can’t stand Fairbanks. I lived there for a year and was only returning for a weekend visit to say farewell to a good friend who was moving out of state. Also, I drove down from Anchorage with my 15-month-old in tow, and have learned that a long-distance drive with a toddler is something I may think twice about doing again.

I wanted an alternative to all of the absolutely sub-par and horrid excuses for hotels that Fairbanks has to offer, so I looked into staying at a B & B, and Dale & Jo’s was my first experience with one.
I think I may be a convert now.

We stayed in the Jacquard Room because of the fact that I had my kiddo with me and kids under 12 are asked to stay on the first floor. Understandable, and because the other first floor suite was empty, we basically had a whole kitchen, shared lounge, and laundry facilities to ourselves. It was divine. Jo even mentioned to me that she would specifically try to keep the other room empty while we were there by offering any other inquiring guest an upgrade to one of the higher floors. This was really appreciated because of the fact that my son and I hit the sack pretty early and he likes to run around banging into things while awake. It worked out very well for us.

The bed… Oh the bed. I usually sleep terribly while at home, but the two nights spent there, I slept like a rock. I had my son in the bed with me and he too was out like a light, which is not the norm. We both liked that you could customize the softness / firmness of the bed with a remote, and that there was plenty of room to move around in it.

The attention to detail at Dale and Jo’s is really quite noteworthy. Lovely decorations and amenities are found everywhere and they really do such a wonderful job of making guests feel welcome. It was 100 times better than any hotel.

Jo brought down breakfast for my son and I, of which she had inquired ahead of time as to what particulars may be preferred by us. The extra effort was really noted with things like having a carton of whole milk on hand, which is what toddlers need to have as opposed to less fatty milk, and I could eat her homemade yogurt by the bucketful.

Really can’t say enough good things about my stay there. I may hopefully never have to return to Fairbanks, but if I do, I know where I will be staying.

Thanks Jo!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

The purpose of our visit to Fairbanks was to photo the northern lights. The accommodations were excellent. Stayed in the apartment and the bedrooms were quiet (anytime of the night or day). The breakfasts were excellent. Being up and outside to 3 or 4 in the morning taking pictures didn’t mean that I was going to miss the real treat of the trip – Jo’s breakfast. Dale and Jo were exceptional hosts. They did whatever was necessary to make our trip a pleasure. The location was very good and convenient for photographing the northern lights, spent 2 of the 4 nights at Dales & Jo’s. The other nights were at Ester Dome, a short drive. The view from Dale & Jo’s made for great daytime photos. Wouldn’t change a thing.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dale and Jo View Suites? Share your experiences!