“Nice facility - Customer Service Nightmare” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sturgis, MI
“Nice facility - Customer Service Nightmare”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2006

I arrived on the northbound Alaska Railroad Denali Star service coming from Anchorage with a one-night stay at Denali National Park. I booked my stay at this hotel through the Railroad. Upon checking in with the railroad I was given a voucher for my stay at Pike's.

When I arrived in Fairbanks the railroad had called the hotel for shuttle service for us (there was 11 of us going to Pike's from this train. After waiting nearly 30 minutes for the first shuttle to show up 1/3 of us later found out that we would have to wait for the other shuttle to come - which took nearly another 20 minutes. After finally arriving at the hotel it took yet another 20 minutes just to get checked in, about 5 minutes in line and 15 waiting for them to find my reservation. I was finally given a key to my room and off I went. Once I got to my room I realized I didn't have a view of the river - something that I was led to believe most all rooms had. Instead I had a view of the airport - which for me isn't a big deal as I work in the aviation industry and am a aviation enthusiast as well, but I could see it being a problem for some.

The room was decent, thats all I can say about it - the air conditioning unit didn't work very well and the room stayed well above what I would consider a "comfortable" tempurature. The wireless internet connection (only available in some rooms?! - sorry, but get with the times, people don't want to have to go to the business center and use a public computer) was horrible at best, I constantly lost connection and finally just gave up. After giving up on the internet connection I decided to do a little sight seeing, I asked the shuttle to take me downtown I had prompt service downtown and was dropped off near the visitors center and told to call when I was ready to be picked up. About 2 hours later I called and informed the front desk that I was back at the visitors center and I was ready to be picked up, I was told the shuttle would take approximently 15 minutes, fine by me. 30 minutes later I called again as the shuttle had not shown up and was told that a driver would be sent "right now". Yet another 20 minutes passed and literally just as I picked up the phone to call again they showed up. At this point I was not happy, and thankfully I would be flying home early the next morning (12:38AM).

After arriving back to the hotel I went to the on-site restaurant (Brinkley Room I believe - but don't quote me on that), after being seated I waited nearly 10 minutes for the menu to arrive and it took another 30 minutes or so before I finally had food in front of me. The food was good - although not great, it was priced well with in reason, especially after what I had been paying in Anchorage and Denali National Park. About 10PM I called the front desk to inform them I would be in need of a ride to the airport to catch my flight - no one answered after about 15 rings. So I waited about 10 minutes, gathered my belongings and moved down to the lobby to speak with the front desk. It took nearly 10 minutes to check me out and they tried charging me for the room - the room I gave them a Alaska Railroad voucher for the night before. So after getting through that I was finally on my way.

All in all the Pike's Waterfront Lodge is decent - but certainly not the Hilton Garden Inn I stayed at in Anchorage at almost the same price per night. I would probably stay here again - but would certainly try the Fairbanks Princess Lodge or the SpringHill Suites first.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2006

As both a pleasure and business traveler, a good bed is the most important part of my hotel stay. The comfortable bed at Pike's, and a location that allowed me to arrive late in the day and leave early without missing any sleep, was the best part of the trip. I also had the chance to pick up several items at the gift shop to take back home as gifts for family members. The breakfast was good and exactly what I expected and available without waiting, and the lady at the front desk did her best to assist me with driving directions to my destination. I enjoyed a wonderful evening meal at Pike's Landing next door to the hotel, and spent some time walking around by the river. Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business

Been to Pike's Waterfront Lodge? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Pike's Waterfront Lodge

Address: 1850 Hoselton Drive, Fairbanks, AK 99709
Location: United States > Alaska > Fairbanks
Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Suites Wheelchair access
#4 Business Hotel in Fairbanks
#6 Romantic Hotel in Fairbanks
Hotel Class:3 star — Pike's Waterfront Lodge 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Pike's Waterfront Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Pike`s Waterfront Hotel Fairbanks
Pikes Waterfront Hotel
Pikes Waterfront Fairbanks
Pike's Waterfront Lodge Fairbanks, Alaska

If you own or manage Pike's Waterfront Lodge, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.