“Overall a really nice place to stay but could be even better” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Turkey Month Special
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Anchorage, Alaska
“Overall a really nice place to stay but could be even better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at Pike's as part of a package deal with the Alaska Railroad Aurora Train trip. We arrived at the Fairbanks Rail Station around 8:00 PM and called for the shuttle. The shuttle driver arrived in minutes to whisk us off to the hotel but we actually needed to get to the airport to pick up our rental car so we asked the driver if he could take us to the airport after dropping off the other guests and he said yes without hesitation.

This may seem like a small thing to be elated about but many of our past vacations began in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, San Diego or a similar megatropolis where the courtesy van drivers either didn't speak English or plain old didn't like tourists and made no bones about letting us know it. Needless to say we tipped this driver nicely for his willingness to get us where we needed to go and he was very friendly.

After picking up our rental car we got to check-in at about 8:55 PM. We thought we had our dinner plans figured out but soon found out our plans would to have change because Pike's restaurant winter hours only go until 9:00 PM (we erroneously thought it was 10:00). This was our bad as it's clearly stated on their website but it sure would be nice to have a little more time to get some food if you're coming off the Aurora winter train.

I'm not sure how many guests they get because of the train but with the train pulling in around 8:00, waiting for luggage and transport, trying to make the 9:00 PM closure is cutting it pretty close but I suppose if we didn't need to pick up a rental car we may have been able to make it. We'll keep this in mind next time and either get to Pike's a little sooner or just plan on eating elsewhere (Maybe at Lin's Asian Bistro where we ordered take out from - great food and reasonably priced!)

Our room was very nice - cozy, for the most part clean and warm. The only complaint I had was that the valances were absolutely disgusting with cob webs and dust. I'm not sure when the last time they would have been cleaned as the cob webs had cob webs on top of them, I swear which was really crazy because the rest of the room was very clean. The only other thing we noted was that there was what appeared to be a nasty cigarette burn on the top of the night stand which really detracted from the room

Other than these minor cleanliness - furniture replacement / refurbishment issues everything else was great. Nice big screen TV, Free WiFi, VERY comfortable bed and a great view. We went down to breakfast in the morning after a good night's sleep. Breakfast was decent enough but it would be nice if they had a few other hot options. They had a yogurt bar with various fruit choices, a waffle maker, coffee/juices and pastries. We had a two for one coupon from the rental company but found out the coupon wasn't good for the buffet so we just had the complementary breakfast which again, was good enough and free.

The hotel was just as advertised. Very "lodge-like", for sure. From the rustic log cabin feel to the bearskin rugs on the wall along with other Taxidermy treasures like salmon, beavers and the biggest greyling and Northern Pike I've ever seen. Also we absolutely loved the artwork throughout the lodge and we really got a kick out of crossing the "ice bridge". We both knew the ice was probably thick enough to hold a Ford Expeditions but there was still an element of danger knowing we were "risking it" crossing over to the other side to take pictures by the "Love Alaska" sign.

Overall we were very pleased and plan on staying again on our next visit to Fairbanks.

Room Tip: You can definitely hear folks above you trouncing around a bit so I would think a room on the top fl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for your response. I am happy that the driver accommodated your request. We try hard to do accommodate special requests so but may not always be able to do so. I am surprised at the cobweb problems and have asked our executive housekeeper to check it out. I believe that the coupons you received were for the Sunday buffet breakfast next door at Pike's Landing - a not to be missed buffet. The dessert section alone is fabulous. I am sorry that you missed it. I also wish that you had tried out the new aromatherapy steam room. We love it!
Deborah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Planned a 3-day workshop for 50 attendees at Pike's last week. The hotel room was comfortable and the service by the hotel staff was excellent. Love the Alaskan artwork throughout the hotel. The conference room was beautiful and fully equipped for our presentations. The staff was helpful and catered to our every need. We asked for breakfast and lunch each day and were served a variety of hot, tasty dishes. I would definitely recommend the hotel and conference facilities to anyone traveling to Fairbanks.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for writing; Ursula, our Food Services and Catering Manager, and her staff does a great job with our meetings. She also enjoyed the different special events such as weddings and receptions. Thank you for writing.
Madison, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Made a return visit to Pike's last week, first time since last October when I wrote the competition had now overtaken the longtime Fairbanks's hotel, This visit I was pleasantly surprised that they had built a new fitness room with new equipment. While still small its much better then their old one. Of course its convenient location next to the airport and great restaurant make it an easy choice. But the rooms were looking old, although they've started to upgrade them as well. My only complaint was the heat in the room. I literally had to sleep with the window open in January. Still Pike's is finally not resting on its laurels.

Room Tip: You really want a rom in the main building with a restaurant, gym and business center. Its no fun w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thanks for your comments on our exercise facility. We tripled the size, added a treadmill to the existing treadmill, bike and elliptical, added a stretching area, Swiss ball and hand weights. I think that it is beautiful and more comfortable with the wall mounted fan and water. Did you notice our new business center, boarding pass check in kiosk and aromatherapy steam room?
Thanks for coming back; home to see you again.
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed my first night at Fairbanks Hampton Inn for $100 for an above average hotel plus they had a pool/whirlpool which was nice after a long drive. At the last minute I had to stay another night and checked into Pikes Lodge. Very well run, free gourmet ice cream in the evening, very flexible shuttle service to local restaurants and airport, nice rooms, green star energy award winner and only $80.00 for the three of us. I've stayed at multiple hotels in Fairbanks but found the one I'll return to again and again. Also, fast wireless internet in the room at no additional cost. No reward points but every once while the non-chain hotels are worth it. This one certainly was. BZ!

Room Tip: Ask for the main lodge, river view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I stayed at Pikes a year ago and had a problem with the heat and the front desk's response. I posted a very negative review on Tripadvisor and recommended against staying here. Management read my review and contacted me privately in order to make things right. I truely appreciated their follow-up. Any hotel can have a bad day for a problem that makes a client unhappy. It is the response to the complaint that better defines the hotel. Well Pikes management was concerned enough to call me and too discuss my complaint. I turely appreciated that and they turned a poor situation into a positive.

I have now been back two times since my poor stay, most recently last week. Check in was smooth and quick and the clerk was friendly. Rooms are clean and well appointed and for $75/nt in the winter you can't beat it. Hotel is on the river so fun to watch the snow machines running up and down the river.The hotel is nicely located close to the airport and to shopping and several restaurants. Pikes is definitely the place to be in the summer (much more expensive in summer) and is good value in the winter.

The free breakfast is nothing special.

I will return again and can recommend this to others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sacramento, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Pike’s was recommended to us by a frequent Fairbanks visitor, and we were not disappointed.

Our third-floor room allowed us an expansive vista for viewing the aurora borealis, the breakfast buffet (included) was very good, with lots of fruit and hot waffles, and the shuttle service around town was a major bonus. The hallways have wonderful retro-style posters, with stylized wooden log décor. A business center for printing out boarding passes was very helpful.

We’re not sure they’re really the “friendliest” hotel in town, but the well-appointed rooms and close proximity to the airport made it a great transit hotel for us in and out of town.

Room Tip: Third-floor riverside rooms are great!
Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

For $75 per night, you can stay in a decent, clean and comfortable room with a king bed, desk, sleeper sofa, nice TV, free Wifi, fridge, microwave and plush towels. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and they serve free delicious cookies! We escaped Chena Hot Springs resort and wished we stayed here for both nights of our recent visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pike's Waterfront Lodge? Share your experiences!