“Good Place, Good Atmosphere, as long as you order anything but BBQ you will probably be very satisfied” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tubby's Alaskan BBQ, Grill and Sports Bar

Ranked #87 of 199 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: American
Fairbanks, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Ok, so this place is located under a hotel just off the Steese Expressway. Not far from the downtown area, but not at it ether. They have a nice set up in the restaurant, lots of tvs playing sports events from the current season, a nice but small bar area, and several tables for seating. Their wait staff has always been very pleasant and generally do a good job. I really want to like this place, I do, but it's in their BBQ that I am generally let down. If you walk into this place and want anything on the menu except their BBQ you will probably leave happy, but when I go to a BBQ restaurant I want BBQ.
I have had their pulled pork, I have ordered their platter, I have tried their brisket and I must tell you its ok at best. Their spare ribs were pretty good last time I ordered them. Their pulled pork was a little dry but the sauce for it (they call it brine) was way too salty for my taste so I had to use regular BBQ sauce from off the shelf.
Their sides are generally very good as well. We love their fried okra and sweet potato fries, and their onion rings are pretty good as well. Their burgers are what you would expect out of a good restaurant with good choice qualities of meat and lots of good toppings. I have not tried the cheese steak sandwiches but people have told me that they are awesome. They are well known for their wings with some people going almost weekly just for them. They have plenty of good choices of beer on tap with reasonable prices for Fairbanks.
Like I said before if you go in here, because you are close by or staying at the hotel, and order anything but BBQ off the menu then you will probably be pretty well satisfied and will thoroughly enjoy the great atmosphere they have set up down there. Order the BBQ and you may have a different experience all together.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Fairbanks, Alaska, United States
“Good BBQ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This place is a little different but thats not always a bad thing. Its located in a hotel in Fairbanks that isnt well exactly five stars. However the employees are friendly. It has an alaskan feel to it. Theres big screen tvs throughout the place.My husband and I went for an early lunch one day and it wasnt crowded at all. We had really fast service. Dinner time I have heard it gets pretty busy. Food was good, would definitely go back.

Visited October 2012
Lansing, Michigan
“Great hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Great food and I could catch the game too. Its always nice to have find a laid back place to chill out when traveling

Visited October 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska, United States
“Over Rated Burnt BBQ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

So I finally decided to try Tubby's... I mean I hear their advertisement claiming that they are the Best BBQ in town. WOW is that a lie. I work on Fort Wainwright and decided to spend my lunch there and sat at the bar. Nice that the Bartender was on his phone when I got there and sat a menu and glass of water in front of me and continued his conversation. I looked at the menu and the prices were typical for BBQ in Alaska so no complaint there. I decided to order the plater with all the meats, figured I'd spend the round about $30 and see how all the food is, I was stationed in Texas for 4 years and became addicted to BBQ. I got the Coleslaw and Mac & Cheese as sides. To start with those, Absoultly had NO seasoning... Extremely bland and flavorless. I didn't even finish them, when I got to the meat.... Oh sweet baby jesus where do I begin, the Chicken was burnt and completely dry. The brine the use must be 10 parts salt. The whole meal was a waste of time and money, I did not get a to go box and left 1/2 plus on my plate. They are not even close to decent BBQ, will not be going back there again!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Anchorage, Alaska
“not that big of fan of football”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Besides my not excitement over the sport, the meal was very average to say at least. The only good thing was that the place was right downstairs in the hotel.

Visited September 2012