“Nice place to stay in Fairbanks” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 University Avenue South, Fairbanks, AK 99709   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Texas
“Nice place to stay in Fairbanks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed at Sophie Station for 5 nights in late May 2014. We were going to join a per-cruise tour & this was the hotel that RCCL used. We arrived 3 days ahead of our tour because we wanted to do things the cruise tour would not cover. The staff were very accommodating by making sure we didn't have to change rooms once we joined the tour. The hotel has a airport shuttle which really helps. They also have a bus, which is free, that goes around Fairbanks & drops off & picks up every hour. You can hop on the bus & go to the Pioneer Park, Downtown, the Car Museum & to Fred Myers. There is also a SafeWay within walking distance. The rooms are a bit dated but very clean & lots of room. We ate at both the restaurant & bar. Enjoyed both meals. If I'm ever lucky enough to make it back up to Fairbanks I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Despite the aging infrastructure, I used to stay here on a regular basis due to it's location- But the repeated staff indifference has made me look for another hotel. Despite having a reservation, I was promptly told no rooms were available when I attempted to check in. At no point was an apology made or any attempt made to help me find another hotel despite my desperate need for sleep. When I inquired if their shuttle was running, the desk clerk was quick to inform me it only was for airport trips.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jackson, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This hotel was a little dated, but that seems to be typical of the area. I don't mean that in a bad way because I love the quaint Alaskan towns. We had nothing to complain about. We had plenty of room. There was a window unit in the bedroom. The grounds were beautiful, the service was wonderful. It's just nothing fancy. We were not expecting that, so we were not disappointed. Reading other reviews I guess people were expecting something more up scale.... We were comfortable, the room was clean, and the staff was as nice as they come. And the bowl of taffy they keep for you at the front desk is AWESOME!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Sophie's Station warmly provided me just what was requested: a quiet room and I might
add a restful decor. The inside the hotel restaurant (with a variety of choices on the menu)
was much appreciated. They provided good parking and small gift displays for Alaskana
jewelry. Will stay here again for such great hospitality and the quietness!

Room Tip: ask for your preferences....I asked for the third floor and away from elevators.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Kingsport, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

The room was hot, beds lumpy, pillows barely supported a feather. This Hotel is Not, I repeat... Not anything more than a Super 8 hotel. Maybe Fairbanks Alaska has a different standard for grading hotels than the rest of the United States, but they miss the mark in all areas. Glad we are staying only two nights, because I would be in the hospital with my back.
I would suggest that you seriously look around before you book a hotel in Fairbanks.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

This is a great hotel. We spent three days here as part of our land tour prior to our Royal Caribbean cruise from Seward to Vancouver. We rented a car for two days and visited all over Fairbanks. The Gold Dredge 8 was a riot, fun time. There is a Safeway just down the street saved us lots of money by eating in our room as you have a great facility for it. Full kitchen and lots of room. WiFi was great and staff was friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Fort Yukon, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

A teacher friend first recommended Sophie Station to me, and then when my new school district sent me on district-related travel, they put me up for a night between flights at Sophie Station. My husband and I have tried a number of other hotels in Fairbanks, but no one comes close to the comfort, tranquility, and congeniality of Sophie Station. We enjoy Holiday Inn Express' swimming pool and pleasant rooms and staff. We can get by on less customer service and more problems with rooms in other hotels. Sometimes our school district puts us up in other Fairbanks hotels, which are nice, but they're just not Sophie. We've used Sophie Station for both business and personal use. When we book a hotel for our own personal use, this is the place we choose. Each room is actually a small apartment, complete with full kitchen, a living area with huge flatscreen TV and sofa, a bedroom with another TV, extremely comfortable bed. And did I say comfortable pillows? Sophie Station knows how to pick pillows that don't hurt necks, not those stiff things that most other hotels offer. I consider Sophie's a home away from our home in Fort Yukon where we teach. A hotel room is larger than the cabin we live in, and when we need to do grocery shopping in Fairbanks to last us a few months in Fort Yukon, our room at Sophie's has the refrigerator and freezer to accommodate our chilled and frozen foods until it's time to pack them for the flight home. I can't say enough good things about this hotel.

It actually deserves a 10 star rating. Just saying...

Room Tip: You can choose a room with a single king size bed or one with two queen size beds. Both are great. W...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family