“2nd Time there and just as good!” 5 of 5 stars

Sophie Station Suites
1717 University Avenue South, Fairbanks, AK 99709   |
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Redmond, Oregon
“2nd Time there and just as good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Couldn't ask for a better place to stay! The only hotel/motel I've ever stayed in that had decent lighting. Nice, roomy suites, helpful staff, fun bar and good restaurant Just doesn't get any better than that!

Room Tip: We were happy on the 2nd floor...have stayed on both sides of the hall and were fine.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Princeton, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Sophie Station appears on the web as a cosy inn. Acutally it is very large, huge rooms with kitchen and sitting room. Very nice accommodations, actually, and good housekeeping service. There is a decent restaurant, nice breakfast, friendly but slow service at table and at the front desk - but it was still winter when we were there, and maybe everything slows down. I give them credit for living and working at 20 below zero! Sophie Station was certainly much nicer than elsewhere in Fairbanks, and walking distance - very close actually - to Fred Meyer, where you can buy anything a person would ever need in this life - but we used it for food and wine - tho there is a nice bar in Sophie Station too. I would stay here again for sure if in Fairbanks - but I did feel like they could have used a few more staff.

Room Tip: as low as poss as elevators slow
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I needed to stay in town for a week after my surgery and we chose Sophie's. The suite helped since I was unable to go out to eat and we could cook our own meals to save money. Staff was very helpful when my husband or son needed help since I was unable to walk for several days. My only complaint was it was below zero and our cord to plug our vehicle in was stolen, our vehicle wouldn't start the next day, but the van did take us to my apptointment. Unfortuniately this is a common occurance at Sophies. They need to have better security.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Rochester Ny Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

The nicest place at which we stayed during our 14 day trip!
Clean, large,modern rooms; nice restaurant; great location.
I loved the landscaping; I will always remember the gorgeous flowers all over!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Sophie Station is convenient to the University, Airport, and the southwest side of town. Fairbanks has limited options to begin with and what I've found is that Sophie Station is not beautiful, and not the world's most comfortable but it is extraordinarily clean, has very good customer service, is reasonably priced, and has a few nice amenities (e.g. all rooms are suites with kitchens).

I've stayed at SS twice. Both times I've stayed in a large room that includes a full kitchen with a full size fridge, stove, and cookware, a living room with a large flat screen HD TV, and a large bedroom with another TV. Even the bathroom includes a large vanity and closet.

The hotel is not stylish and the bed isn't all that comfortable. The bedding is typical polyester hotel bedding that's less than beautiful. However, I have rarely seen a hotel that appears to be as well maintained as SS. The rooms are amazingly clean and everything (furniture, bedding, electronics, etc..) is in perfect condition.

Finally, the service has always been perfectly pleasant with courteous staff and shuttle drivers. Overall, SS is just the kind of place that works for me in Fairbanks - very clean, large rooms, and competent service. I should also mention that the restaurant and bar are clean and nice with decent food options. SS is my hotel of choice in Fairbanks.

Room Tip: I prefer an east view room with the trees visible. Several rooms look out over the parking lot so i...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Over a period of what must be close to 10 years now, I have stayed at Sophie's (traveling on business) and I honestly cannot think of a negative experience. The hotel is clean, rooms are comfortable and the staff friendly and accomodating. The lounge is a great place to wind down after a hectic day and the restaurant is fantastic. The food is consistently above average, staff goes out of their way to accomodate and the head chef obviously loves what he does because I've never had a mediocre meal. As someone who travels thousands and thousands of miles each year it is always nice to come back to Fairbanks and Sophie's Station, kind of like coming home.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
fairbanks
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel for the last 2 years off and on and in the last year or so the food menu has gone sooooooooooooo bad that I go off site to eat. I used to like to eat in the bar since Dan and Joe(the old guy), always gave me such good service. I complained to Darryl the boss but he told me that i needed to be more acceptable to change. He needs to be fired. It's not about what the food guy wants, it should be about what the people who stay at the hotel want. Bring back the good menu and good people who work in the lounge. Lately it's just that old guy and the newbies who dont have a clue. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!! The service sucks lately.

Room Tip: the rooms are nice but the food and service have gone downhill.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sophie Station Suites? Share your experiences!