“Go watch the 8:00 p.m. northern lights movie” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 68 things to do in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: Unique museum that is made of three tons of ice transformed into innovative sculptures.
Kernersville, North Carolina
50 attraction reviews
“Go watch the 8:00 p.m. northern lights movie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We didn't tour the ice museum itself, although from the little we did see of it on the way into the video, it appeared somewhat interesting. It is obviously an old theater with minimal updates, but the few ice sculptures we saw were very interesting.
Our visit to the museum was for the 8:00 p.m. movie on the northern lights. This movie was produced by a local photographer to show the northern lights and features 33 different auroras, as well as other pictures of fairbanks at night, all set to classical music. It is shown in panoramic format and was interesting to watch. The producer/photographer himself shows the video and is available afterwards for questions.
Overall it was very good. My wife loved it, I was amazed at all the hard work and talent that went into producing the movie, but my teenage daughter wasn't overly impressed. I wouldn't call it an 'exciting' movie, but I think worth the $10 to see.
By the way, if you want to see the ice museum as well, they have an $18 special that gets you both, but you'll have to finish your museum tour prior to the 8:00 p.m. movie.

Visited June 2013

Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
9 attraction reviews
“I fell asleep!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I fell asleep during the movie as it was more just a bunch of pictures than a movie,very boring. The Ice sculptures were very melted & not very many. I was by myself & there was a large group of Asian tourists, there was not control or order so I didn't even get to get decent pictures. Wish I had have read the reviews before I went!!

Columbus, OH
3 attraction reviews
“Terrible everything was melted !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were excited about this place till the owner closed us in what looked like a run down movie theater. We were subject to a 30 min movie after which the lights came on... only to our disappointment ! All the sculptures were melting ... the owner was not to be seen when we wanted to go back in and give him feedback ! Another big disappointment in fairbanks @ $12 a ticket !

Arlington, Virginia
9 attraction reviews
“Nothing but Melted Ice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

What a disappointment! This is a small converted movies theatre that shows a 40 minute film on ice sculputures but has very little of actual ice sculptures to show. In fact, they had turned the electricity off two days before we visited. We were not told this until we had paid our admission fee and sat through the movie. Do not bother with this museum.

Westminster, MD
“From Maryland, small but excellent-wait until their new site is finished!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

August 2012, the museum is small but has exhibits from the previous Feb/Mar show. The Feb/Mar show attracts ice carvers from all over the world so these carvings are all unique. By Aug., even though they were in a 20' freezer they were starting to evaporate but were still in very good condition. After watching a video you can take pictures of carvings down both sides of the theater then enter the refrigerator and take pictures with actual carvings. I know some people were disappointed, I don't know what they expected to see, it's an old movie theater. We were told they have acquired a site the size of the original Disneyland and when that site is complete they will have a greater area for a much better show. Hope to get back when the new site is complete.

Visited August 2012

Been to Ice Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Ice Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.