“One of the nicest afternoons...” 5 of 5 stars

907-455-6469
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: I invite you to visit my home, when you come to Fairbanks. I can introduce to my big , friendly huskies, (incase you need a dog- fix while you're away from your own dog) and explain what it's like out on the winter trail camping at 30 ° below zero. I will compare the camping with the routine on the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest ( I was the first woman to complete the race back in 1974, the second running.) And I will share tales of the 1,200 mile dog sled journey in Siberia, the greatest adventure I've experienced so far. Of course you'll check out the garden and go in the cabin and have some home baked refreshments, (You may have seen the cabin on the Home & Garden show) I feel so lucky to live here and I love to share my life with travelers.
POTTSTOWN
5 attraction reviews
“One of the nicest afternoons...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We are on vacation with a Road Scholar group and visited with Mary yesterday. What a lovely afternoon! Mary is a very gracious welcoming hostess; she greeted each of us individually and opened her lovely home to us. Her log cabin is so warm and inviting and a wonderful place to spend an afternoon. Mary's passion for dog mushing is evident almost immediately. She opened her home and her heart as she shared her story with us. She has endured the harsh winters and competed in a sport dominated by men, requiring hard work, endurance and determination, yet she is such a beautiful woman; her femininity is evident in the way she has decorated her home. It was such a privilege to meet Mary and her dogs. We still have a week left in Alaska, but I know that meeting Mary will be the highlight of our trip.

Visited November 2012

Melbourne, Australia
“Mary Shields Tails!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We went on a trip to Alaska, hoping to go dog sleding but unfortunately for us, there wasn't enought snow around, so the next best thing we found, for our dog fix, was a visit to Mary Shields and her sled dogs. We didn't really know what to expect, as it was on a bit of whim that we went there. It was so amazing! She talked about all her adventures - the Yukon Trail, the Ididirod Race and her little trips to a cottage in the middle of winter. We got to spend time with her dogs and learn about them. She told us all about camping with them etc. We we're there for at leat 3 hours, even longer and ALL her stories we're so interesting AND she is one of the NICEST people we have ever come across! She had cake and hot drinks for us too. In my opinion, she doesn't charge enough for what we got out of it. Thankyou so much Mary and your 7 little gems!

Visited September 2012
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
I remember your visit and also agree the time passed too quickly. we have lots of snow now.. we all come back you know! Thanks for the nice review. I try my best to provide a meaningful and authentic experience for my guests. Happy New Year, Mary
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a wonderful visit to Mary's log cabin late in September, she welcomed us into her lovely home nestled in amongst the woods where she told us her stories. Then outside being with her beautiful dogs was fantastic, they are so friendly and cuddly with great intelligent looks in their eyes. Hearing them howl in chorus was truly amazing too. Would highly recommend if you are visiting Fairbanks going out to Marys is a must.
Liz New Zealand

Visited September 2012
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear New Zealand Liz,
I agree with you : howling with the huskies really does break down the difference between our species. We are all together when we howl at the moon out there in the Universe. I'm glad thia=s was meaningful for you also. If you ever return to the"Up and Over" you have a friend and a home away from home.
We send you our best winter greetings.. Mary and the Gang
Oak Park, Illinois
9 attraction reviews
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I agree with all of the other glowing reviews!

Mary is a fascinating woman and a wonderful host. It was a pleasure spending time with her and her loving dogs.

I thought it was interesting that Mary (in her "older" age; still pretty young to me!) has a new lower cutoff for when she will go camping in the winter: -20F. Can you imagine? What a strong woman.

Make sure to stop and visit if you are in Fairbanks. It will be worth your time and a highlight of your trip.

Visited September 2012
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Regular Guy,
I appreciate you taking time to write a nice review for Tripadvisor. You , in deed, sounded like a regular guy. You didn't need to exagerate your compliments and you sounded truthful I hope potential visitors to Fairbanks will take your advice and come out and meet the dogs and hear about my life here for nearly 50 years with the dogteam. Thank you my friend.LOVE, MRY
Roseville, California
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Mary is such a welcoming and gracious host. She was also very accomodating to our schedule. The dogs are beautiful and friendly, and we loved hearing all of Mary's stories. I hope I win the giant cabbage :-)

This is a must-do if you are anywhere near Fairbanks. Cannot recommend her enough!

Visited September 2012
maryshields, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. I'm sorry you didn't win the giant cabbage. Did you receive my newsletter last week, There was a photo of the measly 17 pound cabbage attached,'I hope you're dancing in the moonlight. with the reflection off the snow here, it is as bright as day.. well all most. Quite magical, ah but that's life, isn't it