“NIce, clean and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Bristow, Oklahoma, United States
“NIce, clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here on a family vacation. The hotel lobby has been updated, the rooms are typical Springhill Suite rooms. Very roomy for the price. Breakfast is included and a little crowded. The parking was a little crazy but ok. The location has a lot of wanderers through the night.

Room Tip: I would get a higher room. Quieter!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
SCOTLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Conveniently located, this is good standard of hotel, for a few days stopover. Fairbanks town is a bit limited for activities for more than that, but of course it is a great base to explore farther afield. e.g. North Pole!
Hotel breakfast....complementary, but no great shakes really.
I noted a sign in the elevator that said the hotel management were changing the access of wifi in rooms....no longer free (except in the public areas). This, change to accommodate the upgrade to their system to offer a better service!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Columbus, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here before flying out after a cruise / land tour. I would strongly recommend NOT staying here. Our room was dirty (and we were a party of 5 with 2 separate rooms and they were BOTH dirty). I was also concerned that there appeared to be the sort of mattress covers on the beds only placed when there has been treatment for bed bugs, but the hotel staff said they were placed as a preventive measure. Overall, the entire hotel had an unclean feel. While it is supposedly a Marriott property, there is a sign in the lobby that says it is an independent franchise. I do not think it meets the Marriott standards or even comes close. I am surprised that Marriott has allowed an ongoing affiliation!!! I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at SpringHill Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hello -

I recently received a copy of your review and want to thank you for the feedback. Our goal is to provide great rooms, but we didn’t meet your expectations during your stay. Please accept my sincere apology.

The staff was right that the covers are being used as a precaution. There are NO bed bugs in the hotel.

I have not heard before that a guest felt like the hotel “had an unclean feel”, so I’ll pass your comments on to the general manager and she’ll address it right away.

Shelley
Director of Marketing
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and I are travelling through Alaska and could only stay in Fairbanks for a day. We stayed at this hotel and had a fine time. The check-in process was simple, the room was large, the shower hot, the internet fast and the bed just right. We had dinner at a Thai restaurant that was within walking distance.. it was excellent. We enjoyed the breakfast that had everything we could imagine. Parking is a challenge, but upon check-in, one of the women on the desk commented that there were spots outside and that we should grab one immediately.. as we didn't use the car again that evening, it was perfect. We did laundry in the hotel which worked well. We were on the river side on the 5th floor so we had a nice view from the window. We didn't have the experience that the travel agent had and would happily stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river on a high floor are best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We just returned from a two week, first-time ever Alaska vacation. It was a great start off with our first night at the SpringHill Suites.The goal of our trip was to explore around Fairbanks and Denali national park wilderness. And so we flew directly to Fairbanks, rented a car from the airport & independently travelled in and around town.
This was our first-ever stay at a SpringHill Suites, and this being the only Marriott in town, we stayed here on our marriott reward points. For a vast and spreadout town like Fairbanks, this hotel's location is very central and desirable for out-of-town tourists. Upon arrival, the front-desk check-in seemed a bit slow, but we were all happy once we opened the door to our room no.628. At booking, we requested a higher floor, away from the elevators, and they sure gave us the top-floor room at the end of the building right next to the stairs. Room was spacious, bright, very clean and comfortable. We had 2 queen beds, a pull-out couch, a small flat-screen TV, office-desk & a chair, a side kitchenette counter with sink, microwave, coffee-maker and a mini-fridge. It was better than some of the similar type of hotel-suites.
After settling-in, I made one service call to the room for an extra coffee-mug. No more than a couple of minutes later, the front-desk lady brought it herself to our door. There was a fitness-room & an indoor-pool with a hot tub, that we didn't use. We just wanted to step outside and enjoy the late sunset of Alaska. But first we went on a hike along the trails of scenic Chena river flowing calmly right at the front entrance of the hotel. The view was beautiful, and we saw a lot of friendly locals waving at the tourists. Steps away, not far from the right-end of the hotels parking lot, is the Morris Thompson cultural & visitors center. Before getting to places in Alaska, this place is a must stop to pick-up brochures, ask questions and learn & watch the history and culture of native-Alaskans. It's a museum in itself inside. Thankfully it was open late until 9pm in summer. On the back of the hotel, at 2nd Ave, there were a few restaurants, bars and souvenir shops. Tired after the hike we decided to have dinner at the hotel's on-site restaurant, Lavelle's bistro. It was a hustling-bustling outdoor-patio and we saw tables full of people enjoying their drinks and late-night dinner. We didn't think we could get a table here, but they got us seated inside almost right away. Lavelle's is inside marriott, but probably not a part of it. Food and service was excellent at this restaurant. They are always full at peak dinner hours, so make sure to reserve a table beforehand. Close to midnight we saw a beautiful sunset steps from the hotel's front-entrance. The next morning, we were served at the lobby, a hearty and delicious buffet-breakfast. we had hot breakfast of scrambled eggs cooked with green & red vegetables, delicately-cut pan-seared potatoes, bacon, and a good variety of home-made breads, bagels & muffins, choice of 3 juices, a variety of teas & coffee. Plus hot & cold cereals, fresh whole-fruits, apples,bananas & a platter of cut-melons & grapes. It was a full breakfast, and we were impressed.
The parking at the hotel was limited. They do give out parking-permits to park at the back of the hotel, and also to park at the neighboring building's parking slots. We saw parking security on a bike often monitoring the area, and he showed us where we can park & that the surroundings are safe.
All in all, it's a convenient and decent place to stay in Fairbanks. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We would have preferred a room of Chena-river-view on a higher floor, but were happy to get the hote...
Milan, Lombardia, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Great hotel. Very good accomodation with shuttle for transportation to and from airport. The staff is very kind and polite. Room are huge and really confortable. Them have a little swimming pool and a little gym (always opened). The position is ideal: right downtown and 5 minutes walking from bus Station (where you can take any bus for every location: e.g. 30 minutes with bus for going to North Pole (Santa Claus House).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I am a travel agent and always stay at Marriots when I travel domestically. I have never been more appalled by service in my whole life. Upon checking in we were told I would not be able to add my IATA number to the res. Really? That's interesting because it is one click of the mouse. To hard I guess. Following the first question, I asked if there was a good Mexican restaurant in the area. The man looked at me, rolled his eyes and said he had no idea. Super. When we got to our room, the light in the living room was broken. My husband called to ask if someone could please come and fix it so we could see. The same man from check in asked us why it wasn't working. My husband told him he had no idea. Then the front desk man asked what he wanted he thought he should do about it. Once again we asked that it be fixed. After that my husband and I decided to go on our own to find dinner. A few block from the hotel is a Mexican restaurant that we thought we would give a try. Guess who came in to order food to-go for himself and the rest of the staff at the Marriott. That's right, the front desk gentleman who rolled his eyes when I asked the question about a local Mexican meal. He sat at the bar to pick up his food and said he loved the food there to the bartender. I see. Later that night once we returned to the hotel, our light had been fixed. Thanks for that. The following evening we were late (8:00 pm) getting back to our room. There was not any parking in the lot so I went in to ask where to park. A different gentleman told me to look on a map. Thanks, helpful. The air conditioner in our room was broken, but I didn't want to have any further interactions with the front desk for the evening, so we just didn't sleep that evening. The following morning, my husband asked if Marriot validated for parking since we had to park in a garage and hike to the hotel. The woman stared yelling at him for not reading the map. He read the map just fine. She was slightly confused and after berating him a little more said yes they validate. Never again. I will never send a single client to this propert again. Further more, I attends trade shows all over the world and will do everything in my power to dissuade future travelers from this property. They didn't even change our sheets the whole time we were there. I asked twice, but no, no clean linens for us. Once again, I love Marriot and have several thousand reward points to prove it, but I would never send one person this the place.

• Stayed August 2013
Hello –

First I would like to thank you for the feedback, and second please accept my sincere apology for those items that were just not right during your stay. I’ll be talking with the general manager right away regarding each item on your list. Our goal is to provide great service for our guests, and in your case that just didn’t happen.

Thanks again for your input; we’ll incorporate it into our training program.

Shelley
Director of Marketing

Been to SpringHill Suites Fairbanks? Share your experiences!