“Lots of perks, 5 star for Fairbanks” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Honolulu
“Lots of perks, 5 star for Fairbanks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Service was outstanding here. Every single staff member we dealt with during our stay was very friendly and extended a helping hand. Complimentary shuttle not only available to airport, but also other town attractions as well, so taking taxis is unnecessary; you simply call the hotel to pick you back up when you're done. Fresh cookies available at reception desk. Free breakfast has a variety of options. Free in-room high speed internet was greatly appreciated. Room was clean, beds were very comfortable. View of Chena River from our window was pretty. Might not be 5-star in a major city, but for Fairbanks it certainly was.

Only concern -- which has nothing to do with the hotel itself but needs to be noted -- is Fairbanks' homeless population. You'd think a city that gets temperatures 50 below in winter wouldn't have homeless people, but it does. The streets near the hotel are not the safest for walking alone since there are a few homeless people in the area. The hotel has done a good job making the property secure (key cards required for entry at night and to use the elevators), but they can't control what happens outside their doors.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This Springhill Suites is a standard Marriott property and delivers what it promises. Standard hot breakfast, free parking, 6 floors of rooms and well located for walking about town. There is a good free shuttle to/from the airport. One pitfall is the outdated PC in the lobby which is characteristic of many hotel chains.

The staff, however, is very helpful, though at times understaffed. I had room 626 with 2 double beds, frig, microwave, comfy beds and sofa. There were usually one of the two elevators running and you need a card key to get on it from the ground floor. The bathroom has basic amenities. I do plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: High floor, end room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

A group of 8 of us checked in a couple of days ahead of our cruise package. We got in late in the day, but had no problem getting the shuttle from the airport. When we inquired about getting the shuttle back to the airport to get a rental car however, we found that you need to make an advance reservation and it only leaves on the hour, so keep that in mind.

The hotel was clean, the service and friendliness of the staff was great, and the room was up to date. It is located in the center of the city, right next to the river although Fairbanks is not that large anyway. The breakfast was good, with a selection of scrambled eggs, sausage and waffles along with many other items. Be aware, it can get very crowded there depending on whether cruise passengers are there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our anniversary.  There was no one at the front desk when arrived and we ended up just standing there for a few minutes for someone to check us in.  The check in process was ok.  The desk person was friendly and informative.  A drunk person came stumbling into the hotel asking where the bathroom was, which was a bit unnerving! The elevators in this hotel are painfully slow!  Waited about 4 minutes for the elevator.  The room itself was just OK.  Nothing special and in need of a thorough cleaning.  The bed was one of the worst I have ever slept in.  I would've been better off sleeping on the floor.  There was a cheap plastic shower curtain in the bathroom which kind of surprised me for a Marriott hotel.  The breakfast was not very good and was served on styrofoam plates!  The location is terrible unless you like hearing drunk people and vehicle traffic at night.  I was actually worried about parking my car in the parking lot!  Overall it was not a good experience and I would not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My Wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night at the beginning of our Alaska trip. I’ll share a few highlights.

The Good:
Our flight arrived at the airport around 8AM and I called the hotel to request complimentary ride to the property. The front desk attendant put me on hold briefly and then said to go outside and find the assigned taxi and we were quickly whisked to the Springhill Suites. When we arrived, I asked about checkin as we were exhausted from an overnight flight the night before and long layover in Anchorage and while she didn't have a King room available, she was able to put us in a double bedded room on the third floor with a view of the river. She was quite friendly and helpful. We dropped our baggage in the room, came back and got some breakfast in the lobby area then returned to our room and rested. I really appreciated them letting us check in considerably before the official checkin time as it let us get rest and enjoy an afternoon of sightseeing.
Upon checkout, the hotel also offered a free shuttle to the rail depot which we took and the driver was friendly and accommodating. The room was relatively clean.

Concerns:
As with many places in Alaska, sometimes service is a bit lacking. Long before our arrival, I called the hotel and asked for the name and email of the General Manager. I have a practice of trying to contact the GM’s, letting them know I’m coming and that I am looking forward to reviewing their property, this usually gets good results for both of us. When I asked for that information though, you’d think I was asking for the persons social security number and birth date… after I finally got the information, I emailed the GM and never received a response. Later in our stay, I talked with the GM just for a few moments but with no mention of my email. A small thing I know... but it gives me a sense about the hotel and its attitude towards elite members of Marriott Rewards. The room was clean, but it wasn't immaculately clean as I hope for most Marriott’s. The shower was beginning to rust off the wall. Any casual touch sent rust flakes flying. The hand shower was in very poor condition, shooting water everywhere.

We tried getting takeout from the restaurant and they were supposed to call when it was ready… somehow they forgot… when I eventually went down there, my $18.95 fish n chips were lukewarm at best.

Overall, I would stay here again because of the complimentary shuttle and breakfast. The rooms are configured as suites and it has a reasonably nice view of the Chena River. The hotel can be had for 20,000 Marriott Rewards points which is high, but not insane either.
My Wife adds that while the breakfast is your typical “American breakfast” (limited healthy options) … there is a nice vegan/vegetarian café just across the river within easy walking distance for those inclined that way.

Room Tip: King Room facing the Chena river
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Shelby Township, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My family stayed here for 4 nights in August 2012. Our room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The parking was limited close by, but always available across the street. Our boys
(15 and 13) really enjoyed the pool and fitness room. The employees were friendly, helpful, and polite. The breakfast was good with a nice variety of food. The business center had a computer with free internet available to guests. This was a nice bonus for us to be able to email our family back home. The laundry room was clean (but expensive - remember, it is Alaska!).

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Chena River.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is your typical SpringHill Suite with all the expected amenities. It has a good location across form the main park in the main tourist area. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. The only drawback that is pertinent to this location is the ability to block out the outside light. They need black out drapes for the summer months. The big plus to this hotel is the adjoining restaurant with a "real" wine menu. Nice indoor pool and adequate exercise room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to SpringHill Suites Fairbanks? Share your experiences!