“Absolute must-do in Fairbanks!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 49 Activities in Fairbanks
Type: Ranchs, Ranch & Farm
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy a walk through the boreal forest of Alaska with our curious and gentle reindeer. Ruby, Olive, Willow, Jasper and Rufus (and now Rosie and Daisy!) will be your guides as you enjoy the beauty of Alaska’s interior. See them romp free through the forest doing "reindeery" things. After our walk we will return to the house for a light refreshment and to finish up the conversation. Each time you come will be a unique experience. We are open year round by appointment only. Same day reservations sometimes available. Tours in the summer are weekdays evenings at 7 pm and weekend mornings at 10, winter tours on weekends only and full moon nights. Winter cut off temperature -65 F.(That's a joke, it really never gets that cold, we cut off when you don't want to do it, we are always game! Reindeer love the cold!)
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Activities for young children
Melbourne, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“Absolute must-do in Fairbanks!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My Mum and I went to Running Reindeer Ranch in May, 2013.

Jane was so welcoming and knowledgeable about reindeer. We took three of her reindeer for a walk (make sure you take insect repellent!!!) before feeding the babies in their pen. They're so cute! Jane will answer any of your questions.

Seriously, I can't even describe how amazing this experience was. It was such a great experience, getting close and personal with the reindeer.

After you've spent some time with the reindeer and fed the babies Jane talks about and shows you their antlers, and goes through the yearly cycle they live by (mating, antler growth and feeding habits). She then let's you ask any and all questions you may have. She served tea, coffee and delicious cookies while she discussed all this.

The group I was with was intimate - there was only six of us there, giving each of us plenty of time to ask questions and get close to the reindeer.

This was an unforgettable experience!

Visited May 2013

Palm Harbor, FL
“Christmas Eve experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I am sooo late at writing my reviews for one of the most fantastic Christmas trips of a lifetime!!!
How many can ever say that they got to walk Santa's reindeer (well kin of them anyway!) on Christmas Eve?!?! It was only due to unexpectedly locking my keys in a running vehicle and couldn't make it the previous day, that Jane so graciously allowed us to come on Christmas Eve!!! We were so grateful since this was definitely something we wanted to do on our trip and had a fabulous time! Jane, Doug and Robin were so welcoming, with warm beverages and cookies and reindeer knowledge so much better than anything we could have read in a book!!!!

Obviously, it looks like we missed out on getting to see the latest babies to join this special reindeer family, but our very special experience on Christmas Eve 2012, will be a memory of a lifetime! Thank you Jane and family!

Visited December 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Amazing day learning about reindeer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our first time in Alaska and our friends took us to walk with the reindeer. There were two babies - so cute! Jane, Doug and Robin were so welcoming and we learned so much. Then we sat in the sun and had delicious cookies while learning more fascinating stuff!

Visited May 2013
“A must in fairbanks!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Our afternoon at running reindeer ranch was one of our favorite days in fairbanks! You go to janes home and meet her babies her reindeer. The walk with them was through the beautiful boreal forrest full of birch trees, stopping along the way to have photo ops and close encounters with the deer. Afterwards you step into her lovely rustic alaska home and eat delicious cookies and hear not only about the reindeer but she is a very knowledgable alaska native.

Visited April 2013
RunningReindeer, Owner at Running Reindeer Ranch, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your visit and your review. It is always my pleasure to share my reindeer and my home with my guests. I am so glad you had a good time. I just wanted to clarify one thing. In Alaska, a Alaska Native refers to those who are indigenous to Alaska. I am a "life long Alaskan", I have lived here my whole life but am not indigenous to Alaska. It is important to clarify that as it would be very disrespectful to our First Alaskans to try to pass myself off as a Native Alaskan. I recognize that most people in the lower 48 refer to someone born in a state to be native to that state. In Alaska, that means something different. However, as you could tell I love Alaska and am so proud to have lived here my whole life.
I hope you come back in the summer to see us! Calves should be born the end of April, keep checking our facebook page for pictures and updates!
Naperville, Illinois
52 attraction reviews
“Lovely experience but wish the walk had been longer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We (me, kids 17 and 12) were accompanied by another small family for a 1pm walk. We turned up about 15 minutes late as we had had lunch at Sam's SourDough Cafe (last food on the way there) and were later than expected. It's about 15 - 20 minutes drive to get to the "Ranch" from the University area. The "Ranch" is really Jane's rather lovely house (with a proper indoor bathroom) and the reindeer are penned in a large area and then let out for a walk, although some are just wandering freely when you arrive. Jane introduced all of the reindeer and their little quirks and harnessed one up to walk with her. He served as the somewhat reluctant lead as we trudged up a short hill through the forest and along an easement under utility poles. After photos, he was let loose and we all scrambled back down a narrower path back to the house. I would have loved a much longer walk. It was nevertheless lovely to see the reindeer walking close to and among us - often times close enough that we could stroke and pet them. Back at her house we hand fed them and came upon the recalcitrant Jasper who is at the bottom of the pecking order, is chased by the other reindeer, but had no problems trying to have a boxing match with my son when Jane was elsewhere searching for food. A reindeer on his hindlegs is indeed a sight, but no harm done.
Jane invited all of us into her house for a good hour's chat and Q&A about reindeer, whilst her lovely dog spread out on the floor for everyone to stroke her. She had also made some wonderful cookies and provided hot drinks.
The 2 - 3 hours is wonderful value. Compared to dogsledding, dogsledding wins hands down if you want excitement and speed and the wow factor. If you want to do something completely different and (mostly) gentle and interesting, this is a marvellous way to experience something different (even though reindeer in the strictest sense are not, apparently, native Alaskan).

Visited March 2013
Thank you so much for your visit. It was a pleasure to meet you and your children. They are lovely kids and I hope they consider the University of Alaska in the future! I am glad that you had a good time here. I too wish that we could do a longer walk and I am happy to customize a longer walk for guests upon request. When I first started the business we did indeed take much longer walks. The feedback I got was that it was too hilly and too difficult walking, especially in the snow. One valuable learning experience I've had with this business is that not everyone can walk so easily in the snow! Having grown up in Alaska and in the snow it never occurred to me that walking in snow was difficult, but indeed it is for many people. So in an effort to make it more accessible I shortened the walk. Please come back again to see us, perhaps in the summer, with our midnight sun, and we will go on a nice long walk together with the reindeer! In the meantime enjoy your travels where ever they may take you and your family! Jane

Been to Running Reindeer Ranch? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Running Reindeer Ranch, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.