“A dying breed. Super!” 5 of 5 stars

2895 Mack Road, Fairbanks, AK 99709   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“A dying breed. Super!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Billie's has a warm, welcoming feel and incredible openness and flexibility. Billie has made this place into a true traveller's rest. This is the sort of place I think of when imagining what it was like to travel Europe 50 years ago - genuine, warm, kind, thoughtful, tasteful... Exactly what the adventurous traveler needs. You will feel like you're home, which is something I can say more certainly about Billie's than anywhere else I've stayed on 3 continents.

Room Tip: Call ahead. There are rooms and tent sites, I imagine the rooms fill up first.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brasilia, DF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

Billie was kind of grandma for me; very special. I went there with my friend and she always was concerned about anything, trying to help us to solve any doubt or problem.
I went there from Nov. 19th-24th 2011. As everbody said, the atmosphere in the hostel is different. I felt like I'm in some Alaskan friend's home. Also the hostel's guest were amazing, a lot of different experiences, nice histories!

So, I will say some hostel's scharacteristics:

A slept in a room with 4 people, 2 bunk beds. It was comfortable and she gave us clean towel, bed sheet and pillow case.

The bathrooms are OK. They are simple, cleaned everyday by Billie. The best one is on the ground floor.

You have free coffee, milk, tea and Cocoa.

Large TV, PC, free Wi-fi in the room and at the living room. The best one is the airmchair. You will take wonderful naps there.

Cab Prices:
From the Fairbanks International Airport: US$ 18.
From the Train Station: US$ 9

Walking distance:
- Closest bus stop: 5-8 min
- Gulliver Bookstore (Coffee Shop 2nd floor): 15-20 min
- The Marlin: 15-20 min (pub with live music Thu-Sat)
- Beaver Sports: 15-20 min
- Convenience Store: 15-20 min
- University of Fairbanks Alaska: 20-25 min
- The University of Alaska Museum of the North: 25-30 min
- Creamer's Field Migratory Waterfowl Refuge: 30 min

Bus to Downtown: 10-15 min

You can park your car. In the winter, you have to pay extra fee to plug it in.

I strongly recommend you to choose this hostel!

Take it easy!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
PANAMA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Billy is more than welcoming, and really flexible. The place is really great value , kitchen and clean. It is just small and can be packed so quickly, so do not forget to book, and if you do not like packed place, be prepared. The good value is that there is place for tents and the cheapest we ever found. But to be honest, the owner is so nice that we forget it is small...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

I stayed here for a bit back in January and must say that this tops the list of hostels that I have stayed at. Billie gives you a warm welcome on arrival as do her two pugs. She is an amazing woman and will help you with anything you need to better enjoy your stay. All of the dorm rooms are upstairs and there are a few private rooms in a separate part of the house. Book the privates early as there are only a few so they fill fast! The common area and kitchen are adequate. If you stay in the winter like I did you will have the chance to watch the northern lights and trust me you don't need to pay a hundred bucks to go on a tour outside the city to see them. Just walk out the front door and look up at the sky. They are spectacular!! There is an area in the backyard you can pitch tents if you so desire and there were even people who did this in the winter. Talk about hardcore! Great hostel and great host!! Check it out for yourself.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

I have been in more than 220 countries thoughout the world and have stayed in a tent to a 5 star hotel. I made arrangements in January for a August stay while competiting in the Alaska International Senior Games in swimming and track and field. I was interested in a reasonable priced location and could not help but notice the excessively expensive accodations in Fairbanks. So I made an offer for a single accommodation and Billie was very gracious in understanding that I needed a reasonably priced single accomodation and a arrangement was made. I arrived in August and was assisted immediately and given a four bunk bed room which was next to another room where another student from Central Asia had a bed. We shared a large refrigerator and a toilet/shower. I visited other accomdations and was impressed with the cleanliness thorughout the property. Billie's son repaired our toilet within minutes of reporting a problem. Billie assisted me with a brief orientation of Fairbanks and gave me directions to the various sites that I was competing at. I also took her advise and drove over to the Denali National Park. I spoke with several guests and everyone one was so complimentary about all aspects of their visit. I had an unfortunate experience of having someone drive by and break a side window on my rental car (thank goodness my insurance company paid all of the $455 fee). Billie was extremely concerned and helped me get in touch with the police. I have never seen a better host in my 40 years of travel and would highly recommend to anyone visiting Fairbanks to make this your site to stay overnight.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

Billie is a cute lady and the hostel was cool too. Initially I didn't get a good impression - I rocked up and had to wait for a bit to see Billie, get set up, and the bed spread was tiny so I got a bit cold during night - but after the first night, it was great. Lovely people staying there, I grabbed a good bed, it's walking distance to the university and really close to the bus. I liked the vibe in the hostel, and I loved the pug dogs - too cute!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

Stayed here for one night between Denali and flying out to Bettles. Billie is a lovely, kind person and a couple of the long term residents there are also friendly and willing to show a tourist the best of their town. I really enjoyed my one night here and would most definitely return if I find myself back in Fairbanks.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Been to Billie's Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!