“Nice HIE- But Remember You Are In The Interior Of Alaska” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Houston, Texas
“Nice HIE- But Remember You Are In The Interior Of Alaska”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the HIE in Fairbanks. I try to stay in HIE hotels most of the time for my travels. I am originally from Alaska, so I am used to the logistics it takes to visit in the winter time, but the folks I was traveling with were not!

Sometimes parking in the winter can be a challenge due to snow berms...sometimes fresh fruit is hard to come by...and sometimes Milk is not put out for breakfast because it is too dang expensive for a "free" breakfast.

The hotel is nice and clean. My room was nice, and the heater worked well. The staff were very nice and our housekeeper was friendly too. I have no complaints at all, and am looking forward to staying when I visit Fairbanks again next month.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Brando09,

Thank you for your nice review and I am glad you were, but what brought you to Fairbanks in February? Thanks again for the review and I hope your second stay was as good as your first and that if your travels ever bring you up this way again, you will again choose the Holiday Inn Express, Fairbanks. We appreciate you and your business. Thank you again!

Warm Regards,

Lloyd Huskey, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Eagle River, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Nice, neat, clean, okay location. King suite was very nice and roomy. The location is in a shopping mall plaza, facing a Sports Authority. So no location ambiance. Small exercise room. Nice pool. Good fresh breakfast. Located in convenient shopping area. No "Alaska views", so get out and have some fun. Recommend Chena Lake Recreation area for a good swim on a hot day or a bike ride around the lakes.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear DoreenOP

Thank you for your kind and honest review of our hotel. There are a lot of properties to choose from when you come to Fairbanks in the summer and I am glad you chose the Holiday Inn Express, Fairbanks. We appreciate your business and hope that if your travels bring you up north again you will again stay with us.

Thanks Again,

Warm Regards,

Peoria, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This hotel is quite nice. It appears to be very new. Everything was good. The only drawback was the hotel does not have a lounge and there isn't a lounge that is real close (the closest one I found was Boston's - separate review). Yes, it is expensive as is most everything in Fairbanks, but still, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Head2Hawaii,

Thank you for your kind review. Things are expensive up here during the summer. I know you had a lot of choices of where to stay while you were in Fairbanks and thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express.

Lloyd, Huskey, General Manager

PS We are hoping for a wing place to open up where Chilis used to be nearby. I hope that if your travels bring you back to Fairbanks, you will stay with us again.
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn for 4 days before my Cruise Tour with Princess started. Our room overlooked a Vet clinic and highway. It was daylight all the time but the curtains did a good job blocking the daylight out. Breakfast was great, they did have a few days without cinnamon buns and I would have liked to have had cheese eggs more often than only once during my stay. The room was very clean and comfortable. I had a rental car and this hotel was in an ideal location for my group of 3 and nearby stores.

The only complaint that I had was that I had 3 nights with another night using my points. I was told at the desk that was no problem and was to combine all 4 nights, so I didn’t have to move rooms. At the beginning of Day 4, I received a bill for check out for 3 days. I went to the desk and asked about my free night, I was told they would take care of it. Day 5 and I received another bill for a full 4 days and no points awarded for day 4. I had a time at the desk as I had to search for email to confirm that I had 1 night with points. This took a while to get fixed and the clerk did her best but needed more of a professional attitude. There seemed to be a communication issue among staff. Overall the issue was fixed but it shouldn’t have gone to that point.

Again, I love staying at Holiday Inn and plan to return to this hotel when I’m in Fairbanks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear TravelingMedTech,

Thank you for your kind review. Also thank you for your comments regarding the billing and front desk. I am glad that we got this resolved for you but do sincerely apologize that it should have been taken care of the first time around.

I am glad to hear that if you are in the area that you will stay with us again. If you are back in the area and choose to stay with us, Please let me know and I would love to have a cup of coffee with you.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing the Holiday Inn Express, Fairbanks

Owasso, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The Good: The front desk was very accommodating and the breakfast saved us about $30/day in eating out. The prices for restaurant meals in Fairbanks are outrageous and the quality wasn't all that good. Salads, vegetables, and fresh fruits are generally missing from the menu, just burgers, fries, & fried fish.

The Bad: Housekeeping staff was the worst. We came back to our room late one afternoon and found our door was left ajar & not even latched! The cleaning staff just walked off leaving all our valuables exposed for theft. In 8 days, our room was never completely clean; towels & TP often missing. Sheets not changed, rings around the bathtub. Counter tops not wiped down. Puzzling!

1. We arrived at 1:30AM on July 4th. It was not so good. We had purchased a room with 2 queen beds and instead received a room with a single king. I went down and explained the situation and the front desk was able to give us a two queen room due to a "no show". 2. Front Desk was did their best and was accommodating. 2. Breakfast was filling, but daily equipment failures made pancakes an "iffy" thing. We would have liked some fresh fruit other than over ripe bananas. 3. Housekeeping was very bad. The issues with housekeeping continued on daily basis. 4. Location of the hotel was very good, close to WALMART, gas stations, & MickeyDees. 5. We had daily issues with our room keycard, which would work in the morning but not in the evening. 6. Parking was adequate but generally the lot was full as was the hotel. The housekeeping staff was the worst and most inconsistent that I have ever encountered. Our complaints about the housekeeping staff were generally mirrored by most of the guests staying there at the time. I would stay at the hotel, again, BUT only if they would fire their entire housekeeping staff and replace them with folks with a strong work ethic. The housekeeping is why I gave it a poor rating.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a room facing the front of the hotel and not above the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Owassoram,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry the housekeeping efforts were not up to your expectations. While it was true we were experiencing staffing difficulties in housekeeping at that time, that is not an excuse for poor service. We have bolstered our housekeeping staff and I hope that if your travels ever bring you back to Fairbanks that your will give us another try so we can show you that your experience was an anomaly and not the norm. I hope that we can retain your business and I do truly thank you for your review and hope that you will give us another try and thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express, Fairbanks.

Lander, Wyoming, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

A bit pricey typical of Alaska, but this hotel was great. Our two queen rood was $199 - but even the Super 8 would have been $174. I have to get used to these prices in AK in July - but even with that I liked this hotel. Very friendly and knowledgable staff. The guest laundry was very useful after three days of camping. The room was big enough to setup our tent to dry out!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear John W.

Thank you for taking the time to review an your kind words regarding our hotel. I am glad we were able to accommodate your needs and Glad you chose to stay with us. If your travels ever bring you back to Fairbanks, I hope that you will stay with us gain.

Warm regards,

Ottawa, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is very hard to find and breakfast was a joke. Didn't even have any milk and all the coffee pots were empty. I talked to manager and she just shook her head. The guy running the breakfast room was rude. Beautiful new hotel that is being run terribly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Retired Queen,
I do sincerely and humbly apologize for your breakfast experience. Our regular breakfast person was on vacation and the replacement just did not live up to your or our standards. I am sorry it affected your stay.
I hope that if your travels ever bring you back to Fairbanks, you give me a call directly and I will set you up in a room and show you that we do know how to properly operate a hotel.

Again, My apologizes.

Lloyd Huskey, General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks? Share your experiences!