“Good hotel - but better for tall people” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now & Earn 2x Points
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Fredericksburg
New York City, New York
“Good hotel - but better for tall people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

Stayed here twice - one week apart - for single nights going to and from SC. Stayed in 2 different rooms on different floors of the hotel. Noticed in both rooms that the beds are quite high, though comfortable. The sinks and granite countertops in both rooms were about 3 inches higher than typical counter height. My son (who can reach the faucet virtually every place else he has been) not only couldn't reach this faucet, but he could barely get his fingers wet when I turned the water on for him. He also could not reach the sink to spit into it when he brushed his teeth. The hook behind the bathroom door was mounted very high. While I could manage to reach it, I'm certain that anyone under 5 feet tall would not be able to use it. The shower heads were also mounted higher up than at most hotels I've been to. This is probably nice for taller people, but could be a problem if one is short. Both rooms were clean and had flat screen TVs. On our second stay there was a very strong perfumed odor in the hallway that permeated into our room. The odor was still there - and just as strong - the next morning. I'm not sure what it was from. Had we been staying for more than one night I would have asked for a room on a different floor. There was no such odor during our first stay. Overall, the hotel was nice. If you are very petite, however, be warned that the rooms in this hotel seem to be geared for taller guests.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

I booked the hotel on Travelocity on my laptop driving on the road. I had a confirmation number and the address of the hotel. The hotel is on a new street without a street sign and our GPS and our Microsoft Streets & Trips 2008 both told us to go into the old downtown Fredericksburg (near the battlefield) so we were driving around and couldn't find it. We stopped at another Hampton whose desk clerk couldn't tell us where this one was and called a Hampton whose desk clerk couldn't give us directions either. Finally after over an hour my husband spotted it and it is on the north west end of town on the other side of the highway, away from the battlefield. The desk clerk couldn't find my confirmation number in her system, told me snottily that they don't do business with Travelocity, and said flatly she couldn't check me in, although she said they did have rooms. I asked if I could use the business center to get a printout of the confirmation and she let me do that, but after I gave her the printout, she said she still couldn't find it and wouldn't give us a room. Then a guy she called Baby came up to the desk and he couldn't find anything either. When he looked at the rate (119. for 2 beds) he said smiling like we had overpaid that she ought to be able to do that (he had taken over while she went to the bathroom) but when she came back, she said she couldn't do anything because they don't do business with Travelocity. When I complained about not being able to find the hotel, both at different times said we needed an upgrade on our GPS. When my husband told them it is new and has the latest downloads, the guy said they had all sorts of trouble with people finding it and until they came with the satellite truck to the parking lot, it wasn't going to change. It was now 2:30 in the morning, my child had fallen asleep in the car, my husband had already unloaded the bags on the valet cart, and the desk clerk was just terribly ugly and snobby about Travelocity. She was acting like I was an idiot who had never booked a room at all and had just shown up at her hotel claiming to have booked a room. I called Travelocity and explained that the desk clerk wouldn't let me have a room and they canceled the whole thing (after 25 minutes on my cell). We drove to a Comfort Inn in town and got a room at a much cheaper rate and the desk clerk there was very nice. I did notice a Homewood Suites across their parking lot and if you want to stay on that side of town, I would definitely recommend that hotel as we have stayed at Homewood Suites often and have always had a most pleasant experience. Their rooms are nice, large, and comfortable, and their breakfasts and manager's reception/dinners that are both complimentary are always extremely nice with excellent quality food.

• Disliked — Terrible desk clerks, very snotty and snubby with bad attitudes. Bad location.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Passing through the area with my husband, 7 year old and 9 year old. Saw the hotel from the highway (95 south) and decided we needed to stop for the day. Took the next exit and found ourselves in a very congested shoppers paradise with tons of restaurants. Eventually found the hotel just beyond the shopping area in a soon to be developed area. Had a choice of 3 hotels (Hilton Garden and something else) - no real reason why we chose Hampton over the others.

Exceptionally friendly front desk staff. Clean lobby. Great room with comfortable pillows and bed. Oversized desk area. Beautiful vanity area in the bathroom. Water was hot. Our room overlooked the highway and was very quiet. Did not use the outdoor pool or exercise room. Continental breakfast had plenty of seats. Very clean. Offered hot breakfast pizzas - eggs on English Muffins (unusual, but the theme of the day); yogurt and fresh fruit along with the standard fare. Lots of space to walk around without bumping into other people while you get your food.

Only downfall (which wasn't earth shattering) was housekeeping came calling at 8:45 a.m. on a Sunday morning even though we were only staying one night.

Overall, great stay, would stay again.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Housekeeping came by at 8:45 a.m. on our one night stay
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Fredericksburg? Share your experiences!