“very clean, great location, not as welcoming as other B&Bs” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Richard Johnston Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Richard Johnston Inn
711 Caroline Street, Fredericksburg, VA 22401   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 10 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Virginia
“very clean, great location, not as welcoming as other B&Bs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We are not newcomers to B & Bs as we have stayed at a few before. I purchased this one night stay at the RJ Inn as part of his Christmas present for my husband We were able to use it recently. The location of the Inn is perfect. We wanted to be able to park the car and not use it it get around town-that is exactly what it offered. There was plenty of shopping, restaurants and historical sites within walking distance.

We stayed in the Old Town room and it was perfect. We walked up the four flights of stairs in a historic home to the top floor. Our room was the only one up there and enjoyed the added privacy. It was a bit warm, being in the upper most floor in an older home we expected this. We had the windows open to cool it off and it was still as peaceful as could be even though it was on a main street. There was also a sampling of brandy waiting for us. The room was impeccably clean and had a very welcoming feel.

When we checked in, we came in through the back entrance where we were told we could park. Bonnie, the proprietor was outside watering the flowers and looked up at us and continued working. After initiating conversation she directed inside to Lindy who checked us in. This whole visit was based on my husband being a historian. This Inn was chosen because of it's history-which was never explained to us. Yes, there is a book we could read but the charm of a B & B is the conversations and welcoming spirit of the buildings. I didn't feel this at all.

Lindy did tell us that breakfast was available between 9-11am. (Lindy did tell us she normally runs the Caroline House also owned by RJ. I wonder if the time she gave us was the time for breakfast at that house.) When we came down the next morning, Bonnie smiled at us and asked for the keys. She did inquire if we needed directions and said to come back again. This was around 10am. I stood there a bit dumbfounded and asked about breakfast. Her response "Breakfast was 7:30-9. You missed it." There was something cooking but it was the workers make their own food. A bit stunned by the shortness of her response, I just walked out. Maybe I was expecting more of an explanation as to why I was coming down for breakfast at 10 or a question as to what time I was told to come down for the meal. We weren't even offered a banana, which was one of the pieces of furniture.

This wasn't our only experience with unwelcoming feeling. When I originally purchased the gift certificate it was for a Saturday night and we went on a week night. There was a price difference and I was already aware of the non-refunded difference if we chose a weeknight-instead Bonnie offered us a bottle of wine and cheese and crackers. After some shopping we came back to the Inn to relax a bit before dinner. Both Lindy and Bonnie were watching TV in their living room section of the home. I said hello and Lindy was the only who turned around. Now this is a business and to me, it seems to be good business to stand when a customer comes into your operation. I said we would like our bottle of wine and they first had a conversation as to which one. Again, I just didn't feel the welcoming feel that I would have expected from the B & B.

Overall, my husband and I had a fabulous time with the location and cleanliness of the B & B, but the $200 we spent for the night with no breakfast, we would think twice about going back again.

Room Tip: As for a room on an upper floor to avoid noise from the street and other patrons in the house.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bonnie D, Manager at Richard Johnston Inn, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
I am sorry these guests were disappointed in their stay but I would NEVER say "Breakfast is over, you missed it" I am contacting them and see what we can offer

243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Glen Burnie, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here 2 nights on a Living Social deal for the William Riley Suite. The 1890 Caroline House is run by the Richard Johnston Inn B&B just a few blocks down the road. It has only been open since 2010 and the Innkeeper is Lindi. Laura walked down from the Richard Johnston Inn and checked us in. She was so enthusiastic and warm. She explained everything very well. Upon stepping into the house, prepare to be stunned. It's decorated so beautifully and is extremely well kept. There are endless antiques and decorative items put together in a way that it belongs in a magazine! The kitchen is GORGEOUS, but there primarily for the innkeeper's use in the morning (no cooking allowed, though you can keep a bottle of wine or snack in the fridge and get coffee/tea/hot chocolate (Keurig machine) when you want. The William Riley suite is totally worth staying in: huge, well appointed, comfortable bed, desk, two flat screen HDTVs,Cable, DVD and CD player, CDs and DVDS to borrow, magazines, toiletries, blowdryer.... I brought my own blowdryer, q tips, cotton balls, etc... They have it all and also toiletries to borrow (maybe stuff left behind by guests?) from perfume, to shower gels and shampoos as well as some typical small bottles of the same stuff. There is also little scented oils for the tub which were very nice. Breakfast was amazing both mornings- Lindi is an awesome cook and host. Honestly, we have been to many NICE Hotels and NICE Bed and Breakfast places and have NEVER been more impressed than we were at The 1890 Caroline House. We will definitely be back since we also loved Fredericksburg. So much to see there: Civil War historical sites, gardens, plantations, historical homes, art and artists of all kinds, great restaurants, and nice people. Well worth a visit (or more). I reccomend all the restaurants we went to as well- Sammy T's, The Sunken Well Tavern, The Capital Ale House, and Castiglia's. All Were Casual dress and good food and service. I really liked Sammy T's Falafel (in a salad)!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I were bed and breakfast first-timers as we arrived at the Richard Johnston Inn and not quite sure what to expect, but we had a lovely experience! Bonnie was very kind and accommodating of our late arrival, and we made it to Fredericksburg just in time to enjoy the gorgeous courtyard as the sun was setting. After a nice tour of the home, we took Bonnie's dinner recommendations and headed out for a walk around the historic town.

We stayed in "The Old Town" room, up two flights in the attic, and loved it. The room was the best of both worlds: full of antiques and lovely furniture, but also boasting the modern amenities you're searching for when traveling. The bathroom had toiletries, robes, a hair dryer and even a full-size box of tissues -- something I don't see too often as other hotels scale back. We didn't want for anything. The room was very comfortable.

Our "breakfast" part of the bed and breakfast was delicious, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the dining room. Tea, coffee and other treats were set out and ready for us when we arrived downstairs around 7:30 a.m., and the early hour didn't dampen Bonnie's graciousness. The two resident dogs are incredibly sweet and very well-behaved, and one befriended my boyfriend as we enjoyed our meal.

The courtyard was easily a highlight for me: it was just enchanting. The ivy-covered wall and trickling fountain were very relaxing, and we saw several other guests out enjoying their dinners or nightcaps in the garden after hours. It was very serene, and I only wish I could have enjoyed it longer.

It was exactly what we were looking for -- comfortable accommodations in a great spot, as everything was easily within walking distance of the inn. Private, clean and very convenient, we loved ducking in the antique shops on Saturday morning and getting a milkshake at Goolrick's. Would definitely stay there again, and hope to hit more bed and breakfasts in our travels!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I have stayed at the Richard Johnston Inn twice in the past year. Our daughter is a freshman at the University of Mary Washington, and the Richard Johnson Inn has been a convenient and charming place to stay.
The Kitchen House is a large room with a nice mixture of charm and amenities.
My only complaint are the breakfasts. During the week there isn't anything hot. The website makes that clear, but it would be nice to have something - oatmeal or something simple.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I visited Fredericksburg for Presidents Day weekend and had a lovely experience at the Richard Johnston Inn. The accommodations were spacious and clean, and the weekend breakfasts were delicious-- one day we had eggs over sundried tomatoes and canadian bacon with melted cheese, and another day we had stuffed croissants. The innkeepers also hosted a wine and cheese tasting on Saturday evening, and it was a nice opportunity to meet the other guests and get more ideas for tours and restaurants.

In addition to wonderful food and service, the inn had the advantage of being in a perfect location. It is in easy walking distance of everything, including the VRE/Amtrak train station. We came via train and were glad we had done so -- we weren't sure what we would have used a car for if we'd had one! I would say that if you plan to stay more than 2 - 3 days you might want a car to make day trips, but for a long weekend trip there is plenty to see and do in historic Fredericksburg.

Room Tip: We were in the Isabella Suite, which is below the rest of the house. The suite is very spacious, an...
Woodstock, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

As soon as we entered, we were greeted by Wendy and the 2 resident dogs. Wendy registered us and informed us of where to find local tourist attraction information. As a long-time area resident, Wendy also provided us with a wealth of local information and suggestions. She also offered to make any dining reservations for us. The suite (the Loft) was absolutely amazing. It was spacious, but intimate at the same time. It offered us seclusion and quiet. The historic Inn is within walking distance of shops, restaurants, civil war battlefields and sites. Bonnie's breakfast on Saturday morning was outstanding.

Bealeton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

My husband and I decided to try something new for our 16 year wedding anniversary and we have never been to a B&B, so we did some research and chose Richard Johnston Inn. We were not disappointed at all! We were greeted right away by Bonnie the Innkeeper who gave us a tour of the shared living areas (Dining-room, Sitting-room, Courtyard, Computer, Movie Cabinet, etc.). Her adorable (VERY WELL BEHAVED) schnauzers stole my heart!

Bonnie let us know she had something special for us in our room and when we got there she had roses for my anniversary and a heart-shaped plate with a yummy cookie, and brownie (both shaped as hearts) and chocolate covered strawberries for my hubby and I to share...as well as a bottle of Champagne, an AMAZING cheese-ball with crackers. There was also a decanter of Brandy for a nightcap and his and her robes.

We stayed in the Old Towne Room! It is at the very top (lots of stairs) of the house...very privet and aside from occasional street noise (part of the charm of old town) very quiet. The room was amazing, the furniture beautiful. It had a bathroom, fluffy towels, hairdrier...everything we needed to be comfortable. The view of the street and the courtyard was beautiful. we took a moment to read the little folder with the history of the house and the life of Bonnie the Innkeeper (take a few minutes to talk to her, she is an interesting lady).

That evening Bonnie hosted a wine and cheese tasting! The cheese was delicious, I am sure the wine was good too, I just did not have any as I was going out later to eat. Many of the guests gathered and sat, laughed and talked. It was an amazing time. For the rest of the stay everyone "knew" each other and there was an added sence of family when we ate breakfast or met up in the courtyard. It was very comfortable.

The bed was very comfortable, soft bedding, plenty of pillows. We watched a movie and fell right asleep. Very quiet and relaxing night. We were rejuvenated in the morning. When we went down for breakfast. The setting was beautiful. The food was pretty good too. We had heart shaped egg and cheese souffle, fresh fruit, SHAKEN BACON (OMG....TOOOO GOOD), coffee, homemade pastries. We walked away full and happy.

Highly recommend Richard Johnston Inn. Take a moment to talk to Bonnie, pet the dogs and walk the block visiting the shops and museum. It will be a great experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Richard Johnston Inn? Share your experiences!